Benign Cyst In Breast, Ladies Only

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
Recently I noticed a clear discharge coming out of of one of my nipples. I first noticed it after I had come out of a hot bath and dried off. After that the fluid only appeared after a bit of manipulation.

After seeing the doctor I attended a breast clinic where they found that I had a benign cyst. They found no lumps and the mammogram was clear. The sonogram found the cyst. During this time they drew a sample from my breast with a needle. For a week or so later I had bruising on my breast.

My worry is that after about three weeks since my visit to the breast clinic, I've just checked to see if I was still getting a discharge and have noticed that it is still doing it but now it has blood in it. Is this because of the needle that had been put in me? I can't speak to a doctor today but I've upset myself.

I have an appointment to go back to the breast clinic in October.

Anyone with a similar experience or advice?

Comments

• ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were me, I'd ring NHS Direct (0845 46 47). It may be perfectly innocent, but a symptom like that would really freak me out. Good luck, and I hope it's nothing serious :)
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Is the blood red or brownish? If it is red then that possibly could mean that something is bleeding. If it is brownish then it is possibly old blood from the biopsy.

Either way you need to go back to your GP tomorrow and tell him how worried you are. At the very least he should be able to bring forward your appointment with the breast clinic.

I can't reassure that everything is fine because I don't have the knowledge to do so, but I do urge you to see someone as quickly as possible, if only to set your mind at ease, because you are obviously at your wits ends. Take care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both for your replies.

I've just been in touch with NHS Direct (Thank you Errodiel for the number)

They've told me to make a doctor's appointment, but feel that it could have had something to do with the biopsy (the discharge is brownish)

I'm not feeling quite so freaked out now, so will make a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that it's something that just occurs after a biopsy.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that the consensus seems to be biopsy-related, and I hope you manage to get a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Glad you've calmed down a bit - try to have a relaxing evening, and we'll keep everything crossed for you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you :)
  • ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw heck... You must have been climbing the walls...

I think you've been given perfectly good advice though - if the discharge is more brownish than bright red then I'd lean towards it being older and from the biopsy...

If it's a fairly decent amount then your GP will (if they think it a good idea on examination) be able to take a swab to rule out any infection and/or co-ordinate with the breast clinic to see if your appt should be brought forward...

Hope you're feeling a lot more relaxed and for want of sounding like a nag, try not to poke and prod as that might irritate any residual inflammation...

All the very best x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    OP - as others have said it is probably due to the biopsy but get it checked out incase.

hope all is ok.
  • LilyThePinkLilyThePink Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I did have some brown bloody seeping after a needle biopsy and later had the cyst removed under a local anaethstetic. Try not to worry - easier said than done I know :-(