Options

chris evans on a friday One Show??

drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How come Mr big Head > Chris Evans gets to host the One Show on a friday??

Can't stand him..why can't they just have Matt Baker like they do the other four days?? I'm sure Matt must be feeling a bit peeved by it being pushed aside to make way for Mr Ego :( it just doesn't seem fair.

Comments

• Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it because Matt Baker needs time off for Country File.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes back to when Adrian Chiles & Christine Bleakley presented the show.Chris Evans was signed up to replace Adrian Chiles for the Friday night show.The BBC have stuck with the format.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Have I just stepped into a time warp? He's been doing it since before Matt Baker even started on the One Show.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I just stepped into a time warp? He's been doing it since before Matt Baker even started on the One Show.

As was written above, the BBC wanted him for Friday instead of Chiles who went off in a huff to ITV then lured Bleakley to join him. Can't remember now if they went to a one hour programme at that time.

It has worked out well because Matt Baker has other commitments to Countryfile so it suits him to not have to be back in the studio for the evening programme. I don't think he is as moody as Chiles so not worried about Evans doing it one evening a week.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I;'m sure I heard a trail on 5Live yesterday saying Chris Evans would be presenting the US Masters Golf for them.They never learn do they - last year was a disaster, one day he forgot to turn up altogether. The Friday One Show traditionally rates the lowest of the week btw.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I;'m sure I heard a trail on 5Live yesterday saying Chris Evans would be presenting the US Masters Golf for them.They never learn do they - last year was a disaster, one day he forgot to turn up altogether. The Friday One Show traditionally rates the lowest of the week btw.
    he didnt forget to turn up he was late
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that Ma Baker is happy about the situation.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

He also has radio's highest listening figures
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not for golf he hasn't
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The breakfast show always has the highest figures, I genuinely believe the majoirty of people *really* don't give a stuff who's actually presenting.

I'm sure this mornings show as presented by Madely was just as popular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    The breakfast show always has the highest figures, I genuinely believe the majoirty of people *really* don't give a stuff who's actually presenting.

I'm sure this mornings show as presented by Madely was just as popular.

Not with me - can't stand Mr Madeley - switched off and onto my own choice of music.
  • Options
    happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't rate him any worse than Matt or Alex, probably on the same level
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    happy tv wrote: »
    I wouldn't rate him any worse than Matt or Alex, probably on the same level
    I think he's a much better broadcaster than those two although people may not like his style of presenting.
    He can go off script and ad lib, he's chatty and can engage with the guests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think he's a much better broadcaster than those two although people may not like his style of presenting.
    He can go off script and ad lib, he's chatty and can engage with the guests.
    if by chatty and engaging you mean, he talks all over everyone.
    If by off script and engaging you mean continually straying into areas of peoples lives that they're clearly uncomfortable with having on air.
    Then yes I agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goldie146 wrote: »
    Not with me - can't stand Mr Madeley - switched off and onto my own choice of music.
    I would suggest that you're probably in the minority, my feeling is that the majority of people simply have the "breakfast show" on out of habit.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two don' t make a majority but I listen specifically for Chris Evans. He's a reasonable bridge between the ghastly Moyles and the equally ghastly - for different reasons - Humphreys.

I had to listen to a CD this morning... :rolleyes:

Maybe I need to track down 6Extra or whatever it's called...
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    if by chatty and engaging you mean, he talks all over everyone.
    If by off script and engaging you mean continually straying into areas of peoples lives that they're clearly uncomfortable with having on air.
    Then yes I agree
    How did Chris Evans get a job in golf presentation on the radio? :confused: Whose place did he take?

I can remember feeling really sorry for Lee Mack some time ago when he was on The One Show and he was sitting quite happily until Chris Evans told him not to sit with his arms crossed as it was giving off a negative message!

Surely people can sit in whichever way they feel most comfortable with and not be told how to sit by him! :eek:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Do you think he was being serious? And do you think it would bother a comic such as Lee Mack. He'd just play along.

The same way as when Julian Clary kept telling Russell Tovey to lean forward (because he was sloutching and sitting back) on Just A Minute.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Do you think he was being serious? And do you think it would bother a comic such as Lee Mack. He'd just play along.

The same way as when Julian Clary kept telling Russell Tovey to lean forward (because he was sloutching and sitting back) on Just A Minute.
    I could tell by Lee Mack's facial expression that he didn't like being told by Chris Evans how to sit, especially in the manner with which he spoke to him!
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, please don't put Matt Baker on a par with Chris Evans when it comes to presenting.

He's joined the mainstream since he returned, but this is a guy who made era defining television and radio. Big Breakfast, TFI and the R1 Breakfast Show are all testament to this.

Not to mention the 80 odd million he made from building his own radio station.

Love him or loathe him, he undoubtedly had a touch of genius about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good news is there's no One Show - with or without Evans - this Friday:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. He's joined the mainstream since he returned, but this is a guy who made era defining television and radio. Big Breakfast, TFI and the R1 Breakfast Show are all testament to this. ...

I like Chris Evans but I would not think Big Breakfast or TFI are anything to be proud of.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't bloody stand Matt Baker. Anyone's better than him!
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I find Matt Baker a bit dull. Chris Evans is better on a Friday.
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    I find Matt Baker a bit dull. Chris Evans is better on a Friday.

I agree, and Chris Evans seems to liven Alex up a bit.