Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any advice on how to handle this?

Comments

• wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Close your kitchen window?
    Not really much you can do, their house, their balcony....at least they're not smoking indoors.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Close your kitchen window?
    Not really much you can do, his house, his balcony....at least he's not smoking indoors.

Communal balcony. The flat is next to mine. Balcony is right in front of my kitchen i.e if I step out of my window it's on the balcony.
    Forum Member
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Communal balcony. The flat is next to mine. Balcony is right in front of my kitchen i.e if I step out of my window it's on the balcony.

Oh right ok, is it a big balcony, one in which he could move further away from your window? or is it that small he has no choice but to be in front of your window?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is a no smoking sign in anywhere amongst the communal areas then contact your landlord. I am a smoker but I smoke indoors or out of the window which backs onto a private car park, so that way I don't annoy any non smoking neighbours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right ok, is it a big balcony, one in which he could move further away from your window? or is it that small he has no choice but to be in front of your window?

They have a private balcony too so they do not have to smoke outside my kitchen. Not sure if it's the neighbour or their guests (they are their frequently). They are also blocking my daylight.
  • DoobyDuckDoobyDuck Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    how far away from your window are they smoking?

Is it just legal stuff they are smoking?
    Forum Member
    Jo09 wrote: »
    They have a private balcony too so they do not have to smoke outside my kitchen. Not sure if it's the neighbour or their guests (they are their frequently). They are also blocking my daylight.

Well then they should use their own balcony then, have you actually asked them if they can use their own one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is a no smoking sign in anywhere amongst the communal areas then contact your landlord. I am a smoker but I smoke indoors or out of the window which backs onto a private car park, so that way I don't annoy any non smoking neighbours.

Yes there are no smoking signs inside. I'm thinking of knocking on their door and asking them not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoobyDuck wrote: »
    how far away from your window are they smoking?

Is it just legal stuff they are smoking?

Less than 1m. Closed windows so can't smell but looks like normal cigs.
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they have a private balcony that they could smoke out of I see no problem with you popping over and asking politely if they could use that instead.

Just be friendly and ask them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humdrummer wrote: »
    If they have a private balcony that they could smoke out of I see no problem with you popping over and asking politely if they could use that instead.

Will do. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    humdrummer wrote: »

This ^
    Maybe they just dont realise how much it bothers you so just a polite word should hopefully do the trick
  • SiriusOrionSiriusOrion Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    This ^
    Maybe they just dont realise how much it bothers you so just a polite word should hopefully do the trick

I would say something like you have bad asthma or a chest condition which the smoke aggravates.