Celebrities who are vile in real life?

Comments

• katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    I think the story behind Jon Pertwee is that he was afraid of becoming typecast after Dr Who. He had been considering leaving the show for that reason, and then the shock of Roger Delgado's death (his co-star and a close friend) helped him to make his mind up. I can imagine him being eager to dissociate himself with Dr Who outside of the convention circuit. I never met him, but in con-land stories about him are pretty much universally positive. His feud with Tom Baker is legendary, though.

I got the impression that he liked (I mean in a quite innocent way) Katy Manning as well and her decision to move on may have been a factor too.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Was he jealous of Tom's popularity in the role? How childish!

It was Tom's prima donna act he objected to. The fact that at conventions Tom would not appear with the other Doctors but wanted to appear on his own.

Jon was massively popular in the role and had no reason to be jealous of Tom's popularity in the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not that I'm aware of. He thought Baker was unprofessional on set (mind you, I've heard stories about Pertwee that would make your eyes melt). I think it's really just a personality clash. In two ordinary people it wouldn't be anything of note. In two of the Luvviest Luvvies of Luvdom, it couldn't help but take on Promethean proportions.

Tom Baker has said he became a bit of a monster towards the end of his tenure, the adulation and stardom will have gone to his head. He's matured and is is now just a bit nutty!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    While filming a movie about 8 years ago Charlotte Rampling stayed for about 3 weeks in a local hotel, and despite her demeanour as an aloof and snooty actress, and the parts she plays, in those whole 3 weeks she was extremely polite, courteous, classy and she tipped!. I had a Jean-Michel Jarre album that I was wondering if she could sign, but as he was her ex-husband by this time it didn't seem a good move!

Well it is said that Charlotte Rampling says her perfect man was a Frenchman with a 6inch tongue who could breathe through his ears. So, I'd say from that she'd be an OK person!

I just tried to find a proper reference to this on Google...the first hit is a comment I made back in 2009 on another forum!!!
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Tom Baker has said he became a bit of a monster towards the end of his tenure, the adulation and stardom will have gone to his head. He's matured and is is now just a bit nutty!

I love Tom for that but he has admitted he was awful as he went on in his reign especially to the lovely Graham Williams (who I had he pleasure of meeting twice). Graham tried to ditch him but was overruled which did not help.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    -Batman- wrote: »
    Antony Cotton horrid vile person

But he always speaks so well of you.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    But he always speaks so well of you.

Does he?:eek:

How does he know -Batman- ?:confused:
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »

Seemingly the actor who played Adrec told the Daily Mail, Baker was drunk most of the time and when he said he was leaving the role, seemed to get even more drunk and disinterested. Actually the last Tom Baker series was his worst and I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom was quite the diva but that's not what started the feud between him and Jon. Pertwee refused to be in the room with Tom when they filmed the changeover scene, no words of welcome, good luck or anything.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Can't believe you lot aren't surprised Holly Willoughby is a bitch in real life. I thought she comes across all lovely and sweet on TV.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    Tom was quite the diva but that's not what started the feud between him and Jon. Pertwee refused to be in the room with Tom when they filmed the changeover scene, no words of welcome, good luck or anything.

It sounds like they can both be prima-donnas really.

I'm quite surprised though. Have any of the other Doctors been as hostile to one another?
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Seemingly the actor who played Adrec told the Daily Mail, Baker was drunk most of the time and when he said he was leaving the role, seemed to get even more drunk and disinterested. Actually the last Tom Baker series was his worst and I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Matthew Waterhouse. Well, he had his own... issues... He might be right on this, though.

I recall reading an interview with Baker some time ago where he said that he had wanted to go at the end of season 6, but had been persuaded to stay on longer. The implication was that he regretted staying on, and wished that he had kept to his original plan.

I think the feud between Baker and Pertwee predates their time on Dr Who.
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised though. Have any of the other Doctors been as hostile to one another?

I have heard rumours to the effect that Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy went through a somewhat strained period, but that probably had rather a lot to do with the way Baker Secundus was removed from the show.

As for companions: it is part of Fan Lore that nobody liked Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), and Lalla Ward (Romana II) was known to be "difficult". The companions of Doctor V (Peter Davison) didn't see eye-to-eye much either, but that might be because they were bored - they were badly served by the scripts.

Anthony Ainley (Master II) was a luvvie's luvvie, and apparently very intolerant of horseplay on the set, and hit it off badly with Tom Baker from the start (I think there was history there, too).
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard rumours to the effect that Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy went through a somewhat strained period, but that probably had rather a lot to do with the way Baker Secundus was removed from the show.

As for companions: it is part of Fan Lore that nobody liked Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), and Lalla Ward (Romana II) was known to be "difficult". The companions of Doctor V (Peter Davison) didn't see eye-to-eye much either, but that might be because they were bored - they were badly served by the scripts.

Anthony Ainley (Master II) was a luvvie's luvvie, and apparently very intolerant of horseplay on the set, and hit it off badly with Tom Baker from the start (I think there was history there, too).

C Baker I think was very critical of Christopher Eccleston's decision to leave the show after one series - understandably so whatever Eccleston's reasons were (reading between the lines I suspect that the pressures of the first of the new serieses and everyone getting used to producing a show on that scale made it hard on the cast and especially the crew - and Eccleston felt that the crew were being badly treated as well as finding the pressure and publicity rounds involved with the role difficult to handle - I think by the time David Tennant came in a lot of these problems had been ironed out and Tennant a more extroverted character with limitless energy was more suited the demands of the role - but this is just my conjecture) it must be galling to see someone leave the show after such a short period of time when you wanted to stay on for ten years and got unceremoniously booted off before you were ready to go.

Anthony Ainley may have been a lovey but apparently according to the DW Livejournal thread I was on for a bit was well liked by fans whom he treated well - one lady even had a massive crush on him. I got the impression that for some reason Pertwee just thought that Baker wasn't good enough for DW right from the start - both of them I think had diva tendancies which didn't help.
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »
    Anthony Ainley may have been a lovey but apparently according to the DW Livejournal thread I was on for a bit was well liked by fans whom he treated well - one lady even had a massive crush on him.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I don't use the word "luvvie" pejoratively, but rather as a description of a certain personality-type. I met him a couple of times at conventions and he was always charming. I have friends who knew him quite well from Dr Who fandom, and they speak very affectionately of him. There are some people who say that he had a very miserly streak - always charging for appearances, even at charity events where other actors waived their fees, but I've only heard this from a few sources, some of whom have their own reasons to dislike him.
  • lectorlector Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my business partners completed a course in London over a period of several months. Early on he came back one Monday morning to say that he had walked into a sandwich bar to find Hugh Grant standing in front of him. Grant ordered a turkey and pastrami sandwich. My friend, trying to feign he hand't even noticed Grant went brain dead when he was asked what he wanted and only came up with a turkey and pastrami sandwich. He got a very strange look from Hugh Grant.

Some weeks later he came back and said Hugh Grant almost ran him over in his Mercedes. Couldn't believe he had come across him again.

On the final day of his course the course organiser had arranged to take everyone out for a celebration at a private club he was a member of in London. They had all paid thousands (Dental implant course) it was the least he could do. My colleague enjoyed the hospitality and was quickly worse for wear. He went to the bar for a round and who should be standing next to him but Hugh Grant once again.

He turned to him and said 'F**k me not you again' and after explaining why said Hugh was niceness personified :)
  • lectorlector Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone earlier in the thread asked about Tony Robinson. I was lucky enough a few years ago to be on site for a time team dig in Somerset. Everyone, including Tony couldn't have been nicer :)
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Cillas on Room 101 slagging off celebrities at airports!
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving her vile reputation, Cillia's rant about stuck up and self important "do you know who I am?" celebs on Room 101 is hilarious!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dalai Lama. People who have tried to get his autograph say he just blanks you. Pretends he's meditating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Given the clips so far, do you think Cilla was vile to the producer earlier in his/her career?
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    The Dalai Lama. People who have tried to get his autograph say he just blanks you. Pretends he's meditating.

Vile? Really?

I don't see why he should give his autograph, he's a religious and political leader not a celebrity. Being in his company and hearing his words of wisdom is more of a gift and delight than his signature on paper.

Would you think it vile of David Cameron not to give his? The Queen?

Edit: I do think celebrities should be nicer to the public and fans as they're nothing without them and if I was a successful writer I'd do everything I could to make sure all my readers/fans were talked to and make it clear I was grateful to them but the Dalai Lama will always be the Dalai Lama (especially if you believe in reincarnation) regardless of our idealising of famous people.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,284
    Forum Member
    Vile? Really?

I don't see why he should give his autograph, he's a religious and political leader not a celebrity. Being in his company and hearing his words of wisdom is more of a gift and delight than his signature on paper.

Would you think it vile of David Cameron not to give his? The Queen?

Edit: I do think celebrities should be nicer to the public and fans as they're nothing without them and if I was a successful writer I'd do everything I could to make sure all my readers/fans were talked to and make it clear I was grateful to them but the Dalai Lama will always be the Dalai Lama (especially if you believe in reincarnation) regardless of our idealising of famous people.

I think it was a joke:)
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »

:D Thinks he's above everyone else. Actually he's really down-to-earth. Oddly.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/dalai_lama.html
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    David Soul of 'Starsky & Hutch'.

My parents attended a private function in London during the early 80s and David shared the same table with them. My parents weren't impressed with his surly attitude - not only was he rude towards them but to other fellow guests as well.

That i can believe. He was on my flight back from Berlin in December kicking off at check-in about the executive lounge and how 'This isn't acceptable!' etc. He looked a physical wreck too and was in a wheelchair