Options

Bk Has To Leave!!

coreysevillecoreyseville Posts: 306
Forum Member
I never thought I would say this but Bryan Kirkwood needs to step away from Hollyoaks before he does the show any more damage. I have watched Hollyoaks for years now, think it was 2006 I started watching it and have never missed an episode and stuck with the show through the thick and thin and praised it to people who say it crap without even watching it but recently Im starting to find myself becoming increasingly frustrated with the show. I would say that BKs first stint on the show was the golden era for HO. He did some amazing things and for that I will always respect him and I was eagerly awaiting his return to the show when it was announced but I have felt nothing but disappointment from his recent offerings. Granting some things he has done I have enjoyed like the domestic abuse with Patrick and Maxine, loved the Sienna, Nancy stuff and the death of Browning but the past few months have been terrible, filled with gangster crap and characters the audience don't care about such as Grace and Fraser, giving to much air time to mind numbingly bad actors like Charlie Clapham (Freddie) and having stunt after stunt to try and boost the ratings. Todays E4 episode has been one of the last nails in the coffin with
Carmel and Sonny getting shacked up moments after her fiance had just been buried
is anyone else who has been a huge fan for so long slowly strting to loose faith in the show and do you think its time BK stepped down from his once very high pedestal??

Comments

• Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i stopped watching when the roscoes arrived...im glad i dont watch anymore/... sounds like a big mess
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    He really does need to leave. The show is just awful at the moment :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start a petition and send link to c4 and lime pictures production co lol
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    The show was great last year until the gangster stuff started.
    BK has a real fetish with the gangster and it's ruining the show.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Jim not have any family? His funeral was pretty empty.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't get rid of Bryan Kirkwood because he has improved the shows ratings since he returned. I'm enjoying it a lot since 2012 but I do think the gangster stuff needs to be toned down though, and killing Jim was an appalling decision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    They won't get rid of Bryan Kirkwood because he has improved the shows ratings since he returned. I'm enjoying it a lot since 2012 but I do think the gangster stuff needs to be toned down though, and killing Jim was an appalling decision.

Sad but it's true all C4 care about is ratings and if Kirkwood has indeed brought them up he will not be going anywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's so much that annoys me too. I will sound like a broken record again now, oh well ;). The lack of aftermath is ridiculous. Either characters have moved on within a couple of episodes or they're off screen for weeks on end. Plus, a lot of storylines seem to go around on circles (Gangster, Rosco-love triangle, Ruby's paranoia of Ziggy, and now secret DVDs that affect the McQueens). Also dragging out the past, Sonny, Browning's son = ZzZZ..

The only storyline I can't fault is Patrick and Maxine's, but it's a rare sight!
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Over Christmas Carmel mentioned he was visiting his mother.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I don't like how he does relationships. Two people get together, there's a misunderstanding the next day, they break up, they're off screen for a few weeks at a time, next time they're on screen they get back together, then there's another misunderstanding or one discovers something the other did during the time the relationship was off screen, they break up again, yawn zzzzz

Dirk and Cindy is a prime example of this. Carmel and Jim went through it quite a bit at one point, ditto Sinead and Freddie, and Patrick and Maxine, and I'd say George and Terrible Vincent will also continue breaking up, disappearing, and getting back together.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Neither family nor friends, by the look of things.
  • Options
    SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Considering it's Hollyoaks Jim should just be grateful he got a funeral never mind who attends most don't these days it seems as the HO funeral directors are extremely overbooked! ;-)
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first saw your thread title, I thought it said 'BK is to leave' and got happy for a second until I realised what it actually said.

I agree with many points here, the show is in a bit of a state at the minute. The worst thing for me (like many others) is all the silly ganster stuff. I don't like the fact it is ruining so many characters and families. The Roscoes, the McQueens, Ste, Tony and others are all involved with Trevor and or Fraser. They seem to be bringing the whole show down.

There are some stories that are good, and could be amazing if they focused on them more, like Patrick and Maxine, John Paul and Finn, Jason Roscoe with his body image issues, the Browning stuff (ok this is quite annoying, but it is a story which could be good if worked with) etc, but all these just seem to be filler at the minute and are just worked around the gangster stories.

BK has proved in the past he can do good work with this show, so I don't know whats going on this time round. If he gets rid of fraser, and reduces the trevor scenes or makes him change a bit, then I will be happy.

Also stop having people marry when they've only known each other 5 minutes. How many silly quick weddings have we had recently with Freddie and Sinead, Fraser and Sandy etc.
  • Options
    mercury01mercury01 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I have to wonder how much of this is actually Kirkwood?

He did appoint 2 new Series Producer's a while back so maybe this is all down to them and he just oversees it? I'm not too sure what the difference between Series Producer and Executive Producer is and what their roles are but maybe we all shouldn't be so harsh until we know better
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed they re-employed him at all after the damage he did to EastEnders. The interview must have gone something like:

Interviewer: So, you've been at EastEnders for the past year and a half. Why do you want to return to Hollyoaks.
    Bryan Berkwood: I feel as though I never left. I joined EastEnders to ruin the show.

I heard he was good during his initial stint on Hollyoaks. The guy has clearly lost his mind.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shouting at the TV when Sonny discovered Jim's DVD, kept it quiet and didn't tell Carmel. Okay if he wants to protect her and try to bring down Fraser himself but I doubt Sonny or Sam Lomax will be able to do that. He was keeping quiet for the reasons that he wants her for himself. I hope Carmel at least punches him when she finds out about his betrayal.
  • Options
    EastEnders2014EastEnders2014 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »
    I was amazed they re-employed him at all after the damage he did to EastEnders. The interview must have gone something like:

Interviewer: So, you've been at EastEnders for the past year and a half. Why do you want to return to Hollyoaks.
    Bryan Berkwood: I feel as though I never left. I joined EastEnders to ruin the show.

I heard he was good during his initial stint on Hollyoaks. The guy has clearly lost his mind.
    I wonder this too. Do you think his time on EastEnders had an agenda?
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His first stint was great, he brought in some brilliant characters and developed them.............however

Last night was the first night I have thought about turning off on a looong time.

Vincent and George....two crap actors and absolutely ZERO chemistry between them and totally unbelievable

Sonny and Carmel.....Sonny couldnt act his way out of a paper bag and the getting together of these two was predictible, boring and lazy writing...I know Carmel is ditzy but do they honestly believe that she would get with Sonny just after Jims funeral...wise up!!

Ruby and Ziggy....boring boring boring, rehashing the same old plot day after day...also it doesnt help that again Ziggy is a terrible character with no depth played by a poor actor

Cindy, Dirk, Lindsey,Holly and yes Mercy saved the day for me

On top of that... the gangsters, Sinead shouting and screaming,the Roscoes in general and Freddie in particular, the "Joe is missing but nobody seems to really give a f*ck" plotline are all bringing the show down.

Whats happened to the Maxine/Patrick stoeyline, where is Jack/Darren/Nancy/Dodger they all seemed to have been shoved sideways for a storyline like Vincent which no one cares about

BK needs to get his finger out, as do the writers before people start switching off for good
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder this too. Do you think his time on EastEnders had an agenda?

Must have done. I'm not sure whether his original position was lower than or the same as the one he's now in, but if he left because they wouldn't give him a promotion, his stint on EE doesn't exactly inspire confidence to trust him as Executive Producer of anything.

Billie Jackson - I believe that Billie was originally lined up to return by Diederick Santer, and shortly after this, there was a period where Santer and Kirkwood were both EP's (probably to make sure that he didn't do anything too silly as he was an outsider.) Bryan Kirkwood seems to have an issue with Devon Anderson who played him and I think suggested 'Let's have Billie want to join the army.' Santer could have thought, good idea, we can have Carol trying to control her son, he won't necessarily get called up and we could have him freak out when he does but not being able to get out of it.' As soon as Santer was out of the door, it seemed that Billie got called up to drastically reduce his screen time, and he was then killed off when he was seen again. Fast forward to Hollyoaks and Kirkwood brought back a character (Sonny Valentine?) and re-cast him away from Anderson. The issue I believe was Anderson turning up late and holding up filming when Kirkwood was originally on Hollyoaks; actors have done this in EastEnders and were suspended without pay, not sacked early on and then killed off in a subsequent role. Anderson might well have matured in the years in between the two, I don't recall hearing of any issues with him in 2010.

Kat and Alfie - Credited with re-introducing the characters only to destroy them. Kat's story had gone full circle and she wasn't a tart any more. He regressed her. Sleeping with and getting pregnant by Alfie's cousin and going with a random bloke in an alley because Alfie doesn't pay her attention for one day? Please. Total joke. Alfie wouldn't go near her for weeks after the Andy thing and she didn't cheat. That was before the affair farce, the timing of which was convenient. It looked very much like he did enough work on the storyline so that it had to go ahead, but left everyone else to deal with the fallout.

Storyline wise more generally, I can't actually remember anything really happening apart from the babyswap which received a record number of complaints. It was all cheating; aside from Kat, there was Tanya cheating on Greg with Max, Phil and Glenda, Ian and Glenda, Leon and Glenda, Vanessa and Max, Jane and Masood (though I don't recall how far that went.) The Lucas S/L was just continued by Kirkwood as was the splitting up of Syed and Amira and Syed coming out. The only storyline I can think of other than that is Tanya's breast cancer which was so badly done that everyone called it Tanya's cancer cold.

I really think he jumped from EE before he was pushed.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »

I doubt he had an interview. It was probably a case of "Bryan, we see you're free at the moment. Hollyoaks is in a real mess, ratings are terrible, Channel 4 are losing patience, the media are catching on, please come back and sort it out!"

And as much as the current Hollyoaks isn't liked on DS, ratings are the highest for a long time at the moment, which is the most important thing for Channel 4 and Lime after years of instability, producer changes and dismal ratings.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something is adrift the quality of the 'main' storylines are actually shit, yet the real storylines that should be at the front are getting hardly any screen time.

JP rape
    Maxine and Patrick
    Jason's body issues
    Even the Browning murder was half decent at the beginning
    Nutty Sienna

Theses should be the stories not the gangster crap,loads for deaths no one gives two shits about and a crime and murder every episode with loads of soulless characters.