Options

Best cream for extremely sore, allergic hands

cold tootsiescold tootsies Posts: 324
Forum Member
My hands are horribly sore and dry and sting to high heaven even when I put unfragranced hand cream on.

I remember years ago when they were this bad the GP prescribed some thick cream called something like "Unguentumerk" (not too sure about the spelling!). I'm not sure whether I need to bother the Dr about something so trivial. I've tried all the handcreams available from Boots, Superdrug and the Supermarkets and they all just dry them out even more or make them go red and sting.

It hurts every time I wash my hands, take a shower etc.

Just wondered if anyone knows whether Unguentumerk might be available over the counter or if anyone can recommend something else please?

Comments

• Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Unguentam M is available at boots on the shelf iirc

It would depend how bad your hands are I use snow fire on mine as they split chap and bleed from all the washing with care work then any hand cream just lots of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankyou :)

They're dry, sore, cracked and bleed sometimes. Any ideas which soaps/ handwashes are best for not exacerbating the dryness?
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    My hands are in out of water every day at work and I also have to use alcohol rub but the best hand cream I have found is Hemp hand cream from The Body Shop I swear I can hear my skin sighing as I apply it :D I think it costs about £5.00 but it lasts for ages, I love the natural smell of it too.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I use aveeno myself though do keep hand food in my handbag as I love the smell.

Down to personal preference really some I find too greasy like doublebase

Just apply often, snowfire ointment stick is my saviour in the winter but stinky but clears my chaps and that up like magic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm allergic to Handfood and Aveeno sadly but I haven't tried that Body Shop one so I'll give it a try :). Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula concentrated one, comes in a fragrance free version if you don't like the perfumed one.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Sudocreme is brilliant for sore chapped hands.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some CCS foot cream that are for my tootsies. However when my hands get really dry and cracky, i put some of that on last thing at night and they feel a lot better in the morning. If they're in really bad shape, it can sting a little but it's worth it as the cream's so good at what it does.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula concentrated one, comes in a fragrance free version if you don't like the perfumed one.

Another vote for Norwegian Formula. It's the only product on the market that seems to help my hands in winter. Definitely recommended!
  • Options
    grtrekkiegrtrekkie Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I have the exact same problem as you do, my hands crack and can bleed,. I've tried all the usual creams including the Norwegian on, ones from Lush, and Nivea and none of them were able to sort it. Then I found 'gloves in a bottle' It forms an invisible non greasy barrier over your skin and protects it. It will also not wash off for 4 hours! Its £10 a bottle, but a little goes a long way, and believe me it works. and very very well. Ive literally just put some one before reading this topic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gloves-in-A-Bottle-240ml/dp/B0015XA8YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393620175&sr=8-1&keywords=gloves+in+a+bottle

and here is the manufacturers site where you get a sample and with more info :)

http://www.giab.co.uk/
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    My hands are in out of water every day at work and I also have to use alcohol rub .

OK, forgive my ignorance (we fellas get sore hands too, and mine are rough atm) but what is alcohol rub, and what does it do?
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream is the rolls royce of hand creams. It apparently is the best selling hand cream in the world. It does make the hands feel incredibly nourished and moisturised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    OK, forgive my ignorance (we fellas get sore hands too, and mine are rough atm) but what is alcohol rub, and what does it do?

Alcohol rub is a hand sanitizer widely used in the Nursing/caring profession, bacteria hates the stuff and it can be quite harsh on the skin - especially if the skin is broken as it stings like blazes.

Hospitals provide a hand sanitizer for visitors to use and are usually located on the wall by the entrance. to the different wards/depts. so you might have seen them there? and I think many Doctors surgery's provide them too. :)

Edit: I could be misleading you as I am not quite sure if all hand-sanitizers contain alcohol, but the ones used at my place of work do.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thank you. I should probably stop using hand sanitiser and stop washing my hands as much tbh.

Not sure what you do but I presume you don't have that option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    Ah thank you. I should probably stop using hand sanitiser and stop washing my hands as much tbh.

Not sure what you do but I presume you don't have that option.

No I don't have that option which is why my hands sometimes end up chapped which is why I recommended the Hemp hand cream from the Body Shop to the OP ....you could give it a try too...my OH pinches mine :D

BIB:... but please do keep washing those hands it might help to prevent you from getting infections.
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Double
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream is the rolls royce of hand creams. It apparently is the best selling hand cream in the world. It does make the hands feel incredibly nourished and moisturised.

This stuff is ace. So is E45.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,776
    Forum Member
    Best hand cream I've ever used is Helping Hands by Lush. It's quite oily, so you only need a dab of it, but it really soothes sore hands.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hands were in that same state too......constant washing, using the alcohol gel all day.
    I was given a tube of Aveda handcream, it saved my hands. The sore split skin recovered really quickly, it's not heavy or greasy, a light scent, absorbs easily.
    The only drawback is the price, but you only need a tiny bit so a tube lasts a very long time. I've used it for years and would not be without it, worth every single penny.
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    My hands are in out of water every day at work and I also have to use alcohol rub but the best hand cream I have found is Hemp hand cream from The Body Shop I swear I can hear my skin sighing as I apply it :D I think it costs about £5.00 but it lasts for ages, I love the natural smell of it too.

I agree, this is the best hand cream I've ever tried. It works especially well if you apply before bed and then wear the body shop cotton gloves overnight. The only thing I disagree with is the smell, I find it's quite revolting but I can put up with it when the product works so well.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have extremely allergic, sensitive skin too (and like you, it stings sometimes when I put unfragranced cream on it).

When my hands are really sore like that, I use Balm Balm Fragrance Free baby balm. It's lovely, natural, gentle stuff - super soothing and also protective, especially if you put it on before you go to bed.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,975
    Forum Member
    If it's a dermatitis type condition the best range I've found is Salcura. I love L'Occitane handcream but it's no good if my skin has flared up. They do a handwash and different creams and sprays for irritated skin. Not very cheap, but they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and there are often offers on Feel Unique and other beauty websites.
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Response Beta anti viral spray is fantastic and does not hurt your hands, only available on line I think. http://www.responsebeta.com/

I find Wrights coal tar soap is good, it is no longer coal tar but smells like coal tar and does not seem to dry hands and nails. Avoid any liquid soap, after a lot of eliminating and thought I realised that any of the liquid soaps seem to dry my hands and nails. I have tried all different ones, expensive and cheap. As soon as I switched to the coal tar soap my hands and my nails improved.

Once your poor sore hands have healed I strongly recommend you purchase Derma Shield barrier product. Again this is only available on line too. Expensive, but lasts for ages and is really good. http://www.dermashield.co.uk/
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This stuff is ace. So is E45.

My skin reacts to E45. It causes an itchy rash that can take up to 6 weeks to clear up. I use Simple Derma Intensive Relief Hand Cream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the info everybody :). My hands are a little bit better lately (have been slathering on the creams) and I'm looking into buying a dishwasher :D. I always use rubber gloves to do the washing up but even with gloves on, it still makes them flare up.