Options

Let's be honest the 'DVD' is finished

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The days of the 'DVD' are numbered. Blockbuster shut, Zavvi, Woolies all gone. HMV have few stores now. You can rent movies on Netflix, Sky Store, ITunes, PS4, for the same price as Blockbuster.

Movies get released digital before DVD now. Plus they take up less space. I have noticed ITunes prices have mellowed and there's some £5 movies and bargains to be had. Blu Ray will continue for people still buying new players and people who don't want long download times.

CeX will no doubt do well over the next few years with people flogging unwanted DVD's.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ll tell all that to the buyer who just paid me £200 for a single disc movie DVD.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But if you want to own or collect movies the discs are still the way to go. A lot of lesser titles (and archive TV shows) are only appearing on DVD, not Blu Ray.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you talking about the format or physical media in general? :confused:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    But if you want to own or collect movies the discs are still the way to go. A lot of lesser titles (and archive TV shows) are only appearing on DVD, not Blu Ray.

Yep. I work in retail and we still have probably a 70/30 DVD vs Blu-Ray ratio. A lot of TV shows just don't go to blu-ray. Particularly network American shows. Cable tv shows yes. Not network.
  • Options
    Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dvds are far from finished. I have worked in CEX and there were tons of dvds selling everyday more than blurays. its just that they are so cheap nowadays and a lot of titles are still only on dvd and not on bluray. A lot of people still havent got a bluray and dont think its worth it as a lot of bluray transfers are worse than a dvds.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already? We've just recovered from all those tedious VHS-is-dead debates.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell naw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Shak2005 wrote: »
    dvds are far from finished. I have worked in CEX and there were tons of dvds selling everyday more than blurays. its just that they are so cheap nowadays and a lot of titles are still only on dvd and not on bluray. A lot of people still havent got a bluray and dont think its worth it as a lot of bluray transfers are worse than a dvds.

Evidentially only the shit ones make to CEX then...
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, the OP does like starting these ridiculous doom & gloom type threads.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might well be over for the type of folk who are so immersed in the mobile/micro media culture that they can only bear to watch TV and film that way anymore, lest they have to look up from the thing in their hand.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Blu Ray certainly isn't finished until the day that online streaming match Blu Ray picture quality, and that internet providers provide quick enough internet to stop Blu Ray quality stream buffering during peak times (as well as allow real unlimited GB allowance)
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Blu Ray certainly isn't finished until the day that online streaming match Blu Ray picture quality, and that internet providers provide quick enough internet to stop Blu Ray quality stream buffering during peak times (as well as allow real unlimited GB allowance)

There's less and less places to buy physical media now. Manufacturers decide where technology go and especially in the games market they are desperate to go disc free. We are not talking about streaming I can buy a movie from itunes and download it and watch it without an Internet connection at DVD quality.

I'm a massive DVD fan but even I know times have moved on. In ten years we will all be downloading movies not buying discs.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    If the DVD is finished it's certainly taking its time about it. How many years has it been on its deathbed now?

Of the physical formats, I'd say Blu Ray certainly has superior image quality, but are enough people actually concerned about that? These days its all about cost and convenience, so if the DVD is still proving the more economic and convenient format then it'll probably stagger on until those factors turn against it.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    There's less and less places to buy physical media now. Manufacturers decide where technology go and especially in the games market they are desperate to go disc free. We are not talking about streaming I can buy a movie from itunes and download it and watch it without an Internet connection at DVD quality.

I'm a massive DVD fan but even I know times have moved on. In ten years we will all be downloading movies not buying discs.
    I wouldn't say less and less places to buy, ok as far as dedicated video stores go then yes they are pretty much a thing of the past, but most people tend to buy from supermarkets or online these days.
    I myself though have bought less Blu Rays since I've had Netflix.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this like all the people claiming for ages TV is dead... then they released the study last week showing the vast majority of people still watch TV. Netflix and whatever is still a small minority.

Maybe shops like HMV are closing, but isn't that more because people are buying their DVDs online, rather than just not buying DVDs?
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Isn't this like all the people claiming for ages TV is dead... then they released the study last week showing the vast majority of people still watch TV. Netflix and whatever is still a small minority.

Maybe shops like HMV are closing, but isn't that more because people are buying their DVDs online, rather than just not buying DVDs?

That was what i was going to say. I haven't bought a single DVD in a shop since i started buying online in 2009. My DVD collection is huge since i started buying online, it's just way cheaper.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still buy DVDs over Blu Ray because I have never noticed much difference in the quality, I don't have a Blu Ray player, and they are so much cheaper.

I've never downloaded a film/TV series and never used Netflix etc., so if I was going to buy a film, I'd buy it on DVD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    I still buy DVDs over Blu Ray because I have never noticed much difference in the quality, I don't have a Blu Ray player, and they are so much cheaper.

These days there`s little difference in price between BR and DVD and BR players can be had for as low as £50 AND they upscale your DVDs in PQ so no reason NOT to have a player - If only to take advantage of things like HMV closing down sales where blu-rays were going for £1.50 (box sets included!)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    BR players can be had for as low as £50 AND they upscale your DVDs in PQ so no reason NOT to have a player

If you already have a working DVD player with an HDMI port there's no reason to spend money on a replacement until it breaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    If you already have a working DVD player with an HDMI port there's no reason to spend money on a replacement until it breaks.

Am I missing something? How would that play BRs?
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    These days there`s little difference in price between BR and DVD and BR players can be had for as low as £50 AND they upscale your DVDs in PQ so no reason NOT to have a player.
    But only if they actually want one of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I worked in HMV over Christmas and i can assure you that DVD is definitely not dying from what i could see. DVD's of Despicable Me 2, The Class of '92 and Breaking Bad all sold in ridiculous numbers (quite WHY The Class of '92 sold that well was baffling though...). I know it was Christmas and so people were buying presents so it's not exactly indicative of sales over the rest of the year, but DVD's far outstripped Blu Ray sales during that period (although i was there from October and sales were always pretty good, so it's not like it was just December where HMV did well). Generally, people still prefer to have a physical copy of something as opposed to a nondescript file on their iTunes account. Personally, while i have a Netflix account and use it regularly, if i like something i'd still prefer to buy it on Blu Ray even if the film/TV show is available in HD on Netflix (Breaking Bad for example, i have them all on physical media even though the entire show is readily avilable as part of my £5.99 a month Netflix sub).

And for the record, HMV isn't doing too bad since they were saved from administration, we were always above the daily sales targets at the store i worked in. While i'm sure that eventually the time will come for them to close down, i can't see it being anytime soon. And they have started trying to price things competitively with online retailers, the aofrementioned big sellers like Despicable Me 2 were all priced at the same price as Amazon.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ll tell all that to the buyer who just paid me £200 for a single disc movie DVD.

Wow, what title was it?

I just paid £5 each for a load of bootleg mst3k episodes on dvd, so I guess I'm in the same boat.

Anyway I doubt dvd will completely die out; having every Doctor Who looks good on my wall, having them all on a USB stick doesn't really have the same effect.

http://campl.us/crR78iCTv2a
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happened to that bluray is dead thread?
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some tv series on DVD that are unlikely to be released on Blu-ray, and I'll definitely never pay to rent or download any films or tv series. I mean the likes of........

Colditz ('72)
    Danger UXB
    Callan
    The Sandbaggers
    Airline ('82)
    Hornblower
    Sapphire and Steel
    Dad's Army
    Father Ted

or even Monk (although I do note that Columbo is out on Blu-ray)

I would love to get Robin of Sherwood on Blu-ray, but it's far too expensive, so I'll have to 'make do' with the DVDs.

Btw, do older tv series such as those listed above look alright on a large-ish 1080p tv set? My main set is a 720p model. I hope it doesn't conk out any time soon, but I don't want to buy something to replace it with that's unsuitable for watching my favourite programmes on.