Are scottish supermarkets in a panic about the new alcohol licences

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
Some one from a local sainsbury was in doing her shopping, and she told me, that her manager intends to bring in new challenge alcohol guide lines

They recently failed an instore test purchase, and the following day trading standards were in, and they passed

So from Nov checkout operators in that store are being asked to ID customers upto the age of 60, and I kid you not

The operator needs not see id, only for the customer to confirm there age verbally, as it seem not all operators are following challenge 25, and store ricks loosing licence to sell alcohol

Even in our store on of the male operators , who is 19, sevred his friends from school, but he did not id them. Store manager had seen this, and the boy got pulled up for it, and was told he has to follow challenge 25 guide lines

He was told what if one of his friend was part of a test purchase, he would have failed

Are manager in apanic that they could loose there licence if they fail a test purchase, as of yet no one know what the new licencing authority will do

Comments

• sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant speak for all of them and can only hazzard a guess about the two here
    being a tad concerned .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show ID up to 60 the answer is to say to the supermarket it's OK I'll buy it elsewhere.

That's the only thing they understand.

I don't answer any questions at supermarket checkout.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that about two years ago, a supermarket in glasgow failed 2 times on a test purchase, round the time challenge 21 came out, now if that store had failed a third time it would have lost its licence to trade in alcohol, and this was around xmas time

Now that store paniced, they had weekly breifings woth checkout operators, to make sure they were id customers with alcohol

This has been discussed by our manager, to loose a licence would mean having to lay of colleagues, as there sales would drop, due to alcohol not being sold
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to do with the new Licensing Act as far as I can see - they could always have lost their licence for selling alcohol to under-agers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show ID up to 60 the answer is to say to the supermarket it's OK I'll buy it elsewhere.

You properly id the ones who look under 25, and for the rest, all they want to be done is for the customer to confirm there age verbally, so if it is a hassle for the customer, and he she refuses then ye go else where
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not even 'do you want any cashback'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't answer any questions.

If I wanted cashback I'd say when I got to the checkout straight away I'm paying for my purchases by debit card and I'd like cashback of x pounds.

This let's the girl know straight away before she starts to scan.

I don't need to be prompted like a four year old kid.

You have to get in quick and say I don't answer questions at the checkout and that way neither your time nor the cashiers is wasted.

They are there to take the money and give change.

Some people think we have to answer questions in a shop.....we don't.

As long as you are pleasant and smile you can conduct business your way.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    So from Nov checkout operators in that store are being asked to ID customers upto the age of 60, and I kid you not

Don't really see what the problem with that is.

More reliable and ultimately fairer to everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Don't really see what the problem with that is.

More reliable and ultimately fairer to everyone.

I do this already for the last month, it is alot easier to ask a person how old she/he is