Options

Cats and fleas - please help!

GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
Forum Member
I am sitting here in tears at Never Nude's poor cat and this is trivial in comparison.
My two 13 month old cats have been scratching for a couple of months now. I treated them with Frontline 6 weeks ago not long before a stay in the cattery. I was informed that they had flea dirt and needed treating and was advised to treat the house where eggs may be lurking. I bought a can of Indorex spray a fortnight ago and sprayed everywhere but the cats are still scratching,. They are due at the cattery in two weeks so I must get them clear by then. Please can you tell me what else I can do. I intend to Frontline them again this week. Surely I must have broken the flea cycle by now? The cats go outside by the way.

Comments

• Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline no longer works; fleas have evolved an immunity to it.

I've posted about it before, but i use Diatomaceous Earth on my cat. Rub a bit into her fur every couple of days for a couple of weeks and you kill all fleas.

Can be spread on carpets, bedding, etc to kill fleas too. Completely harmless to pets (unless you keep pet fleas of course) and humans. Can be added to pets (or humans) water to detox and kill internal parasites too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also re do the house with the pray again. Even under the sette. Skirting boards. Also put a cheap flea collar in the vacuum and Hoover every day for at least a week
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Frontline.

Our vet seems to think Stronghold is good - and so far so good for our three cats. They appear to be biting/scratching far less.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use advocate. It does the worming (apart from tape worm which gets done as a separate tablet 4 times a year) as well as gets rid of the fleas :)

Frontline and bob martin are both rubbish
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I advocate Advocate too and Indorex everywhere once per year.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I agree about Frontline.

Our vet seems to think Stronghold is good - and so far so good for our three cats. They appear to be biting/scratching far less.

We have had Stronghold from the vet instead of frontline, also sprinkle salt around the carpets etc, and leave for a couple of hours before hoovering it dehydrats the fleas and their eggs.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Frontline works great for me but it must be the variety that threats the animal and the environment. That is different to the Frontline you can buy in Pets at Home or at some chemists which does not work at all.
    We get it from the vet and its called Frontline Plus I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. I have several tubes of Frontline combo left but am willing to try something else. I see that Stronghold has 5 star reviews in Amazon but it is £59 for 6 tubes! Advocate is much cheaper but has poor reviews. Not that it's about the money, I just want my cats to be flea free!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Geowitch wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I have several tubes of Frontline combo left but am willing to try something else. I see that Stronghold has 5 star reviews in Amazon but it is £59 for 6 tubes! Advocate is much cheaper but has poor reviews. Not that it's about the money, I just want my cats to be flea free!

I have found Advocate to be excellent. Frontline did not work.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I get a 3 month supply of advocate from my vets for about £25. Trust me it's brilliant, I've not had one single flea in the 14 months since I got my cats. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know how much they weigh as it does make a difference when using frontline
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's insane for you to be spending so much money on these chemical solutions when that DE puffer i linked to is just as effective, non-toxic, and a fraction of the price.

Just because it's produced by a massive chemical company doesn't mean it works any better than a naturally occurring solution.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

have a look at Advantage, it's the flea treating component of Advocate, but without the wormer

personally i prefer advantage over advocate as worming every month feels to me like it's far too often to do it.
    i use tablets quarterly for worming which is a perfectly adequate treatment regime for adult animals.
    dollymarie wrote: »
    I use advocate. It does the worming (apart from tape worm which gets done as a separate tablet 4 times a year) as well as gets rid of the fleas :)

Frontline and bob martin are both rubbish

dollymarie, you could make the switch to advantage too, unless lice are a problem, as you already worm quarterly for tape worm,
    using a product such as drontal along side the advantage for fleas will treat all intestinal worms.
    (and it works out a bit cheaper too - though the money isn't that important when it comes to our critters)
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sitting here in tears at Never Nude's poor cat and this is trivial in comparison.
    My two 13 month old cats have been scratching for a couple of months now. I treated them with Frontline 6 weeks ago not long before a stay in the cattery. I was informed that they had flea dirt and needed treating and was advised to treat the house where eggs may be lurking. I bought a can of Indorex spray a fortnight ago and sprayed everywhere but the cats are still scratching,. They are due at the cattery in two weeks so I must get them clear by then. Please can you tell me what else I can do. I intend to Frontline them again this week. Surely I must have broken the flea cycle by now? The cats go outside by the way.

I am so sorry. Have been there several times in the past and it is a nightmare.

Call your local council. A lovely guy in an unmarked car will visit and spray your entire house for about £50. That will totally clean your carpets and furniture and home. Then get your animals to the vets and get a prescription for Advantage or similar. Not Frontline.

I promise you - it is that simple. I was infested last year after looking after my daughter's cats. But there is a dedictated council line - do please call it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I put Advocate on all of our rescue cats as soon as they come into care. (apart from pregnant cats and young kittens) We never have a flea problem
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We bathe our 7 adult cats using shampoo containing Aloe Vera
    Today we brought home 3 kittens from the cat shelter here on Rhodes. Very first thing we did was bathe them
    The Aloe kills not just the fleas but their eggs as well
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are a couple of threads on this site about the evil fleas if you have a look, lots of good advice.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68387135#post68387135

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68235991#post68235991
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I took my kits to the vet nurse for a free flea check. She said when fleas are bad as they are this summer Frontline is often blamed as most people buy the over the counter version. I already had Frontline Combo so she applied it for me then we are re-doing the house with Indorex. The cats are scratching less but I do intend to purchase the Diatomaceous Earth as a back up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took my kits to the vet nurse for a free flea check. She said when fleas are bad as they are this summer Frontline is often blamed as most people buy the over the counter version. I already had Frontline Combo so she applied it for me then we are re-doing the house with Indorex. The cats are scratching less but I do intend to purchase the Diatomaceous Earth as a back up.

I must be lucky, my cat hasn't had any for two years.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that could be the case, but even combo failed for my friend, she was buying form her vet and had a hell of a flea problem.
    she switched to advocate which cleared the problem
    and later moved on to advantage, and has been flea free since.

it's tit for tat though, just go with what you believe works at the end of the day.
    i'm personally not a fan of fipronil based products and would rather stick with imidicloprid