Should someone with a temper have a firearms license?

Comments

• WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Define "have a temper".

You called the police over this?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man sounds like a complete a****hole.
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a row with a guy who I've seen with shotguns. He always wears a flak jacket and also keeps ferrets presumably for hunting rabbits (it's fair to say he's an all-round lowlife).

I was out with my dogs and he was standing talking to someone on the pathway. I've never liked the look of this guy so made to go another way but one of my dogs approached him. Next minute he starts effing and blinding that I should have my dog on the lead. He even accused my dog of attacking one of his ferrets at 5:30 in the morning (an impossibility since neither she nor I would ever be up at that time, plus she's a big softy who mothers my pet rabbits). I am no soft touch and gave him a mouthful of cheek in return, calling him a cretin that gets his kicks from hurting animals. I am a middle-aged woman and apart from the dogs was on my own in the dark.

I rang the police on a non-emergency line and they weren't interested though they did take a note of my details and his address. They won't be visiting him or revoking his license though.

I'm surprised as I wouldn't think someone with an obvious anger management issue should have a firearms license. Agree?

Many shotgun owners are part of a hunt or shoot, I had to recently speak to a shoot leader about the behaviour of one of their members and they agreed with me that the person shouldn't have a license. However, the shoot leader is a friend, whereas you would be probably speaking to his friend as a stranger. The person has now turned the gun in on an unrelated matter. I forget who the shoot leader advised me to speak to, I will try and remember, did you speak to the normal police? It was a specific department who deal with licensing I was advised to speak to, who you should make aware of your concerns
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A firearm certificate may be fully revoked by the Chief Officer of Police for the area in which the holder resides if he has reason to believe -

That the holder is of intemperate habits or unsound mind or is otherwise unfitted to be entrusted with such a firearm; or
    That the holder can no longer be permitted to have the firearm or ammunition to which the certificate relates in his possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace; or
    That the holder is prohibited by this Act from possessing a firearm to which section 1 of the Firearms Act applies; or
    That the holder no longer has a good reason for having in his possession, or for purchasing or acquiring, the firearm or ammunition which he is authorised by virtue of the certificate to have in his possession or to purchase or acquire.

shouting at a stranger might be considered unable to hold back or control himself - he might have other complaints on file...i dont think gun licenses should be held by people with bad tempers. There's a reason we have strict gun laws.
  • peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @NatoPMT thanks very much for your considered and helpful response and for taking the time to research the topic of gun licensing.

It was the 101 number I dialled and I spoke to someone in a call centre about it. I wasn't exactly expecting the emergency response unit to attend. I really wanted them to make a note of the incident, which they did.

This man's foul-mouthed reaction was completely disproportionate and uncalled for. Firstly, my dog, who's very placid and gentle, was in no way out of control. She trotted up towards him to say hello (she loves men for some reason). We were going that way anyway as it's on our way home.

The companion actually encouraged her initially and went to pet her, but the cretin (for that is what he certainly is) said "get!" to her then started shouting and swearing at me. This man was on a public pathway, not in his garden. His ferret was safely locked away in a cage in his garage around the corner and was never under any threat from either of my dogs.

I don't like hostile angry people. Such a person should never have access to a lethal weapon as they are clearly not in control of their emotions.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a row with a guy who I've seen with shotguns. He always wears a flak jacket and also keeps ferrets presumably for hunting rabbits (it's fair to say he's an all-round lowlife).

I was out with my dogs and he was standing talking to someone on the pathway. I've never liked the look of this guy so made to go another way but one of my dogs approached him. Next minute he starts effing and blinding that I should have my dog on the lead. He even accused my dog of attacking one of his ferrets at 5:30 in the morning (an impossibility since neither she nor I would ever be up at that time, plus she's a big softy who mothers my pet rabbits). I am no soft touch and gave him a mouthful of cheek in return, calling him a cretin that gets his kicks from hurting animals. I am a middle-aged woman and apart from the dogs was on my own in the dark.

I rang the police on a non-emergency line and they weren't interested though they did take a note of my details and his address. They won't be visiting him or revoking his license though.

I'm surprised as I wouldn't think someone with an obvious anger management issue should have a firearms license. Agree?

And you accuse this man of not having control of his emotions? :eek:
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, my dog, who's very placid and gentle, was in no way out of control. She trotted up towards him to say hello (she loves men for some reason). We were going that way anyway as it's on our way home..
    Your dog wasn't on a lead and didn't come when you called...

Define out of control?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am glad of that, and I would hope you are to, I wouldn't want the police to turn up and revoke a licence of anything from someone on the word of another person alone and based on a verbal disagreement in which no violence was used.

And to be perfectly honest whilst you may have been upset, if you don't like the look of someone and feel they may be dangerous, is it really wise to give them a mouthful of check whilst alone in the dark ?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The law says that you have to have your dog under control. My dog walked towards him as that's the way we were going.
    The dog was ahead of me. I called her back as I saw him and decided to go the other way.

Still not doing yourself any favours.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @NatoPMT thanks very much for your considered and helpful response and for taking the time to research the topic of gun licensing.

It was the 101 number I dialled and I spoke to someone in a call centre about it. I wasn't exactly expecting the emergency response unit to attend. I really wanted them to make a note of the incident, which they did.

This man's foul-mouthed reaction was completely disproportionate and uncalled for. Firstly, my dog, who's very placid and gentle, was in no way out of control. She trotted up towards him to say hello (she loves men for some reason). We were going that way anyway as it's on our way home.

The companion actually encouraged her initially and went to pet her, but the cretin (for that is what he certainly is) said "get!" to her then started shouting and swearing at me. This man was on a public pathway, not in his garden. His ferret was safely locked away in a cage in his garage around the corner and was never under any threat from either of my dogs.

I don't like hostile angry people. Such a person should never have access to a lethal weapon as they are clearly not in control of their emotions.

He may have been having an off day we all do snap at people sometimes it doesn't make us all dangerous or hostile , you your self say you gave him a mouthful so does that say you are not in control of your emotions and should never be issued with a firearms licence should you want one ?

Far more people are killed by angry drivers driving erratically than are killed by a person with a gun who is in a bad mood, should we revoke all driving licences for car drivers who lose their temper occasionally to be on the safe side ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll get him back somehow. He's on my list.

Although the person you are referring to may be an unpleasant individual you sound like a nutter.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a default [?] Right to own a gun in the UK, you have to prove you need one, the vast majority of people go through their lives without needing or using a gun , and IMO some guy who likes hunting and shooting rabbits isn't a good enough reason to have a gun.

That isn't true. The "good reason" requirement only applies to firearms certificates, not shotgun certificates. Also, hunting rabbits would be considered a good enough reason for a full firearms certificate.

As for the rest of the thread, OP sounds like a right loon.
  • CoconutcreampieCoconutcreampie Posts: 175
    Forum Member

The only thing one can determine from your post without getting the other side of the story is that you were wrong for not having your dog on a leash. Too many people have been attacked by dogs from owners that let them roam whereever they want because their dog is "friendly" and "doesn't bite." Something to consider.

People with records of violence should not be allowed to have guns but that's different than someone having a temper.
    Forum Member
    . Firstly, my dog, who's very placid and gentle, was in no way out of control.

You see, as I said in my previous post, that is the problem with many dog owners in that they like to think that but people are still attacked everyday by dogs that are supposedly "very placid and gentle."

Whether you want to believe it or not, you dog is a mostly insticnt driven animal descended from wild animals. No dog is truly tame. A lot of dog owners and innocent bystanders have learned that the hard way.

You are not being a responsible and considerate dog owner, never mind breaking the law.
    She trotted up towards him to say hello (she loves men for some reason). We were going that way anyway as it's on our way home. The companion actually encouraged her initially and went to pet her, but the cretin (for that is what he certainly is) said "get!" to her then started shouting and swearing at me. This man was on a public pathway,

He was rightly angry for having a dog approach him. A dog, you should have had on a leash and under your control. People have a right to be able to walk "on a public pathway" without other people's pets harrassing them and them having to worry about their safety in such situations.

You were also wrong in involving the police and wasting their time.

Finally, just because he hunts doesn't make him a bad person. All of our ancestors did the same thing.

One last thing that I just noticed is your screen name. Don't you think such a screen name could be indicative of someone that may not be very social, or even hostile, to others at this point in their life? Just an observation, not an accusation.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the OP sounds like a right flake, and seriously needs to learn to stop digging when the hole reaches shoulder height.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you accuse this man of not having control of his emotions? :eek:
    ericos wrote: »
    Although the person you are referring to may be an unpleasant individual you sound like a nutter.

The OP is not the one with a gun. The issue asked about isn't that should someone have a dog on a lead, or should someone have a quick temper or not, it's should someone have quick temper own a gun.

And again, there are reasons for strict licensing.

"Any individual who is absent minded or accident prone, has a volatile temper or is depressed should be very wary of keeping guns in the home."

"If one has a very, very short temper and is prone to violence, again owning a gun might not be a good idea."

"People applying for gun licenses now undergo rigorous checks, which take into account issues like a person’s temper, recurring issues of violence, abuse of alcohol"

...from UK and US sites

Reporting the man wont automatically revoke his license, but it will give the licensing board the opportunity to come to their own decision.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    One last thing that I just noticed is your screen name. Don't you think such a screen name could be indicative of someone that may not be very social, or even hostile, to others at this point in their life? Just an observation, not an accusation.

If the user-name leaves any doubt, the thread history should remove it. ;)
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=peopleschmeople;68871115 Firstly, my dog, who's very placid and gentle, was in no way out of control. She trotted up towards him to say hello (she loves men for some reason). We were going that way anyway as it's on our way home.

.[/QUOTE]

so out of control then - always with the inconsiderate owners and the untrained dog "he only wanted to say hello"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you definitely should not have a firearms license. You are volatile and prone to over reacting to non-events. You may resort to shooting people if you find yourself in the wrong in any dispute.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    We all 'have a temper' - but no, people with anger management problems should not have access to firearms.

In this case however it may be that the man does not like dogs bounding up to them; or was startled by your dog; or was upset because one of his ferrets had recently been hurt by a dog; What type of dog do you have by the way? Did he threaten to shoot you or the dog (or make any threat at all)?

As for him killing animals - well, I do that all the time, once removed, because I eat meat. I am just as responsible for the death of the lamb I ate last night as the person who actually killed it. As long as the man has the appropriate licences I am more concerned that he has the skill to kill the rabbits cleanly. The mere fact that he goes hunting and had a row with you doesn't mean he shouldn't own a gun I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    The OP is not the one with a gun. The issue asked about isn't that should someone have a dog on a lead, or should someone have a quick temper or not, it's should someone have quick temper own a gun.

"Any individual who is absent minded or accident prone, has a volatile temper or is depressed should be very wary of keeping guns in the home."

"If one has a very, very short temper and is prone to violence, again owning a gun might not be a good idea."

"People applying for gun licenses now undergo rigorous checks, which take into account issues like a person’s temper, recurring issues of violence, abuse of alcohol"

...from UK and US sites

Reporting the man wont automatically revoke his license, but it will give the licensing board the opportunity to come to their own decision.

Despite that all being very relevant and sensible, there are two sides to the story.

Of course gun ownership is quite rightly strictly controlled in the UK, and people should report *genuine* concerns.

On the flip side, personal vendettas because someone doesn't like the 'look' of someone, and takes issue with being made aware of *their* irresponsible behaviour is clearly a wrong and shoddy basis for reporting him, not least a waste of police time, and unnecessary concern for the individual being targeted. The OP themselves states they want to 'get back' at this individual, and has them 'on a list' :eek:

The OP didn't just ask a question - they gave details of the scenario. And are quite rightly getting the spectrum of expected responses and opinions.

I'd hope if nothing else they kept their dogs on leads in future.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Making a list of people to get back at.

Isn't that the sort of thing American gunmen seem to do before going berserk in a public place?
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just wanted people to comment on your dog not being on the lead, didn't you, you naughty man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    You just wanted people to comment on your dog not being on the lead, didn't you, you naughty man.

Hahahaha. :D
    Forum Member
    NatoPMT wrote: »

...from UK and US sites

This happened in the UK, not in America. While some common sense things are comparable you shouldn't be grouping the UK with a country that not only has a constitutional right to bear arms but also has very different attitude towards guns. I would stick to the common sense aspect and leave America out of the discussion. At worse it will derail the discussion and at best it has no relevance.