Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see who gets binned now.

The most important one already has been.

And I'm not talking about Buttner.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Woodward is quickly going from bumbling incompetent to verging on a knighthood if this business continues apace.

I'm interested to see who gets binned now.

Charlton is in the picture with Herrera.

Part of me thinks it's he and not Woodward who's got it all done :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again I hope I'm wrong but watching him huff & puff his way through matches aswell as not actually providing much quality makes me feel we should've cashed in like Beckham!

Rooney's an excellent striker. He provides loads of quality.

Of course, it depends on the formation that we play, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    F1etch wrote: »
    £60m in one day and according to some reports £40m offered to Juve for Vidal also.
    Add Sanchez and Hummels (pref) or Vermaelen and I'd be happy.
    Happier than last years market anyway.

Some quality players there, if we get any of them then they will improve us next season that is for sure, but lets not get carried away we may get none of them, Woodward has already done better in the transfer market then he did last summer but there is still a long way to go yet.

I believe we may end up playing a 3-5-2 formation as that is Van Gaal's preferred formation we will just have to wait and see on that score.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy seeing Rafael on the right wing proper. It's something I've longed to see and rekon he'd take much better to.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Some quality players there, if we get any of them then they will improve us next season that is for sure, but lets not get carried away we may get none of them, Woodward has already done better in the transfer market then he did last summer but there is still a long way to go yet.

I believe we may end up playing a 3-5-2 formation as that is Van Gaal's preferred formation we will just have to wait and see on that score.

van gaal prefers 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 which van gaal considers to be the same thing, just with an am instead of a dm...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'd be happy seeing Rafael on the right wing proper. It's something I've longed to see and rekon he'd take much better to.

that reminds me of that fa cup game against arsenal a few years ago almost the whole team consisting of players playing in unfamiliar positions, and we still beat them :)
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 signings - okay, now they're spoiling us :D.

In regards to defensive signings. Bruno Martins Indi would be a nice easy addition and quite cheap too. We'll most likely enquire for Hummels as well, if we haven't already. But that will be a tough deal to pull off and very much a luxury signing given the defenders already at the club.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think any centre-half will be an experienced one.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    van gaal prefers 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 which van gaal considers to be the same thing, just with an am instead of a dm...

Fair enough, i will take your word for it, i'm not really bothered what system Van Gaal plays as long as he get United winning football games again on a regular basis.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    2 signings - okay, now they're spoiling us :D.

In regards to defensive signings. Bruno Martins Indi would be a nice easy addition and quite cheap too. We'll most likely enquire for Hummels as well, if we haven't already. But that will be a tough deal to pull off and very much a luxury signing given the defenders already at the club.

Smalling, Evans and Jones? I would say a new central defender was imperative, not a luxury.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a day, herrera signed, shaw having a medical, awesome stuff, :D

two centre defenders? surely one is enough with evans, smalling and jones. i think we are fine for strikers, we have james wilson coming up who could be given opportunities. i think another centre mid to partner herrera should be priority, carrick is getting on a bit. i agree on the winger, griezmann or sanchez would be nice...

Considering in 2 seasons we've had times when due to injuries midfielders had to go in defence, I'd say atleast the ones who have left need replacing.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smalling, Evans and Jones? I would say a new central defender was imperative, not a luxury.

Too right
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With what we have so far including Herrera and Shaw, I know Shaws not official btw, how would you like to see us line up?

Personally, I think we need a defensive midfielder, a central defender and a winger, then we are good to go.
  • happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney's an excellent striker. He provides loads of quality.

Yikes! Not sure which half assed scouser you've been watching?

Before ya get defensive I'm being serious but not in an let's argue way! Appreciate your view but don't agree...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes! Not sure which half assed scouser you've been watching?

Before ya get defensive I'm being serious but not in an let's argue way! Appreciate your view but don't agree...

Which is fair enough. However, Rooney is a top quality striker.

Not the best, not impervious to drops in form, but when he's 'on it', he's terrific.

And his goals-per-game record would suggest that I'm right.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't say we don't need ANY new centre-backs :o:D. I think we all agree that we need to make defensive signings to make up for the loss of Ferdinand/Vidic. But my view is one good centre-back like Martins Indi or Mangala would be sufficient enough. If we can get a marquee name like Hummels as well - then great, that's a bonus. I would happily take him too.

I do think Jones would be fine as a first-choice centre-half though if the guy just stayed fit and got a consistent number of games under his belt IMO. I don't think playing Jones in midfield has helped him either. I will be interested to see how Van Gaal handles Jones and Smalling's development along with many other players.
  • happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the best, not impervious to drops in form, but when he's 'on it', he's terrific.

And his goals-per-game record would suggest that I'm right.

I was always happy to defend him but his pace went at least 4 seasons ago & admittedly he does put a shift in half the time but recently he looks shot!

Forget his other misdemeanours to dislike him I just want a decent striker up front for us!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was always happy to defend him but his pace went at least 4 seasons ago & admittedly he does put a shift in half the time but recently he looks shot!

Forget his other misdemeanours to dislike him I just want a decent striker up front for us!

Van Persie and Rooney not good enough for you?

Christ, you're a hard man to please!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i agree with you on rooney, i wouldn't mind seeing him sold, with hernandez possibly going there will be a lack of pace with strikers, welbeck has the pace but not a good finisher. james wilson has pace so he could be the answer to that, wouldn't mind seeing him get more chances. mata should be our number 10 and van persie should be our striker, so i don't know what van gaal will do with rooney...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree with you on rooney, i wouldn't mind seeing him sold, with hernandez possibly going there will be a lack of pace with strikers, welbeck has the pace but not a good finisher. james wilson has pace so he could be the answer to that, wouldn't mind seeing him get more chances. mata should be our number 10 and van persie should be our striker, so i don't know what van gaal will do with rooney...

So you'd bin Rooney, and replace him with James Wilson?

This kid must be something special...
  • Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most important one already has been.

And I'm not talking about Buttner.

Poor Macheda...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you'd bin Rooney, and replace him with James Wilson?

This kid must be something special...

i don't think rooney can justify his massive wages, his pace has gone and we have better players then him both at number 10 with mata and up top with van persie. i want a striker with pace as an alternative to van persie to stretch defences, i think this will be valuable against a lot of teams. rooney and van persie as a partnership doesn't work well, we have seen this over the two seasons they have played together. i would sell rooney and maybe buy a fast striker, like luis muriel from udinese, or keep hernandez and give him more game time to keep him happy, with wilson getting chances too.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Macheda...

Macheda?! I thought he was talking about Wee Jimmy Lumsden..
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just as small correction "Smalling, Evans, Jones and Keane".......

Perhaps one more experienced quality centre back would be helpful.
This discussion has been closed.