BBC's Genome project goes live

Comments

• Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1997-08-31

So, how much of the above did actually air as scheduled?

Probably as much (read: little) as planned from 2.10pm on 11 September 2001.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1997-08-31

So, how much of the above did actually air as scheduled?

I'm sure Songs Of Praise went out because I remember a hymn being sung over live footage of Diana's body being carried out of the plane after it had landed back in the UK.

I'd be surprised if it turned out that anything else on the planned schedule was shown that day.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    As will 11 September 2001 and 7 July 2005, and the days afterwards (especially for the former).

Also - I wonder how many other people did the same as I did: the first day I went to was the day I was born (which, coincidentally, will also need changing - as I believe BBC1 had the England-West Germany game during Italia 90).
    I didn't (but will now).

I picked a random date in august 1988.
    Primetime saturday night BBC1 was a Barrymore programme followed by Carry On Jack :eek: and then two dramas (mini series?).
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to be able to get access to old Radio Times issues, downloaded the one from the day I was born!
  • Options
    statman_61statman_61 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    The end of August / beginning of September '97 is gonna need some major editing if anyone can remember the actual programmes shown then.
    The programmes as actually broadcast will have been logged in the 'PasB' records which will all be kept in the BBC Archive at Caversham. Bit of a transcription job to be done by somebody! Actually, it would be interesting to keep the schedules as planned alongside any changes which were made so as to be able to compare how much the schedule was in fact changed on those occasions
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they shouldnt change, these were the listings that where printed in the rt and thats how it should be left
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    they shouldnt change, these were the listings that where printed in the rt and thats how it should be left

How dare you say that. >:(
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Looking at my birthday I was born "When Roobarb was cheating" :D

I hate that it says "Told by" instead of "Narrated by" for things like Roobarb and Custard.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The search function also throws up some fascinating results in terms of the development of people's careers if you search for a name and select 'oldest first'.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    As usual the BBC can't win!

The BBC are working to make many items in their archive available publically available and someone wants them to divert effort to doing the same job for others. Why don't the other stations get together and either do something similar or pay the BBC to include them?

Ok, no need to getting upset. I didn't mean to criticize the Beeb, I just thought since RT is involved, they could have included other channels as well, until the previous poster explained that RT did not publish other channels until the 90's and there probably would be a copyrights issue too, which makes sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodney wrote: »
    Nice to be able to get access to old Radio Times issues, downloaded the one from the day I was born!

You actually downloaded a PDF copy of the issue itself?

How were you able to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    You actually downloaded a PDF copy of the issue itself?

How were you able to do that?

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I'm sure Songs Of Praise went out because I remember a hymn being sung over live footage of Diana's body being carried out of the plane after it had landed back in the UK.

I'd be surprised if it turned out that anything else on the planned schedule was shown that day.

There was indeed a special Songs of Praise and they intercut with shots of the aircraft landing at RAF Northolt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Check out all the instances of [number removed] instead of the show telephone number. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually looking at some of the ads is more interesting that the TV listings. In December 1967 there is one from the government about the new drink driving legislation that has just come in. The fascinating thing is that they say if you are caught by the police, you can "get away with it" if you lock up your car and get a bus or taxi home. They say that any driver can forget the test and have a clear conscience if they do so! Also lots of ads for ciggies.

what are you talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Times 7th December 1967 page 6.

oh yes i see
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will have BBC One or BBC Three or BBC Four to watch.

They could miss a series they were following, you seem to suggest a minority sport should be given unlimited coverage at the expense of other viewers.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How dare you say that. >:(

On a serious note that is a good point. Should it be changed to reflect what actually went out on air or should it stay to show what was scheduled to go out ?

Is it a history of what the Radio Times published or what the BBC showed ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    October 12th 1986 - BBC1

12:58PM Weather News for fanners :D:D:D
  • Options
    kitanokitano Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Such a shame they don't have the rights to show more than just the BBC channels, it would have been fantastic to get full listings for everything RT printed.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I am getting confused here. All of Rodney's posts (which seem to have disappeared but they still appear in the quotes of those responding to him) seem to suggest an ability to look at specific actual pages/issues. Am I misunderstanding the position? I can't see that functionality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I am getting confused here. All of Rodney's posts (which seem to have disappeared but they still appear in the quotes of those responding to him) seem to suggest an ability to look at specific actual pages/issues. Am I misunderstanding the position? I can't see that functionality.

Unfortunately, this article reveals that the ability to see full issues is only available to BBC staff.

There is another issue with the Genome recognition system I've just discovered after trying to look up old editions of Grandstand, namely that no details were registered where they were contained in a separate inset box on the page outside of the regular listings.
    kitano wrote: »
    Such a shame they don't have the rights to show more than just the BBC channels, it would have been fantastic to get full listings for everything RT printed.

There is another way to find old TV listings, namely in old editions of newspapers at one of the many online archives - which the majority of British libraries offer free access to as part of their membership.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Loving Genome. Such an excellent tool. I'm spending so many hours on this. :D