The Great Fire - ITV Thursday 16th October at 9pm.

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,175
    Forum Member
    Lot's of familiar faces. Danny Huston from Boardwalk Empire and the actress from The Paradise playing Catherine of Braganza.

It was Jack Huston, Danny Huston is the son of the late John Huston, director of The African Queen.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DS = Notorious for moaning.

I thought it was fine. Remember this is TV budget, not a multy million dollar film.

But it cost millions De Vil, the most expensive drama ever.....
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS = Notorious for moaning.

I thought it was fine. Remember this is TV budget, not a multy million dollar film.

It has a budget of £5 million and I think most of the criticisms on here were quite justified
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I enjoyed it, but then, I was giving it my full attention, not faffing about on "social media" and watching with half an eye as some obviously were.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was good. I also thought it was appropriate to have the scenes of the court to compare against the London scenes.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a budget of £5 million and I think most of the criticisms on here were quite justified

Far from the £100m+ some films cost then.

I don't believe it was the most expensive period drama ever, Ripper Street on BBC1 cost more, Downton Abbey cost more.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Well, I enjoyed it, but then, I was giving it my full attention, not faffing about on "social media" and watching with half an eye as some obviously were.

How right you are. Theres no way you can watch anything properly whilst posting on here. Ive tried it with other programmes and have gone back and watched it again. Its amazing how much you miss. I thought it was ok and will give it a go next week. Sometimes programmes are a slow burn - no pun intended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Far from the £100m+ some films cost then.

I don't believe it was the most expensive period drama ever, Ripper Street on BBC1 cost more, Downton Abbey cost more.

According to Daniel Mays, on This Morning, it was the most expensive TV drama (British?) ever produced because they built the set near Henley and burnt it down in the last days of filming.... which were the first episode.....
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I gave it about 20 minutes, but couldn't get into it and have given up with it.

I?

That's 15 minutes longer than I gave it. I could see it was going to be crap as soon as they started talking and the way they were dressed. Working in a bakers but not covered by white flour or sweating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    According to Daniel Mays, on This Morning, it was the most expensive TV drama (British?) ever produced because they built the set near Henley and burnt it down in the last days of filming.... which were the first episode.....

Fair enough.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive got a feeling Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones are the most expensive tv dramas. But back to The Great Fire I enjoyed it cant wait till next week
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it left a better impression than that titanic series a couple of years ago but it has a long way go for me to consider it a good drama. Some of these sub plots could have done with more background.

Charles Dance is miles too good for this as well.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Err, they didn't wear wigs because they were bald.... It was a fashion accessory

apparently Peri-wigs only came to fashion in about 1663 so at this stage most men would not have been wearing them at all. Only the most fashionable. If you see paintings from the 1660s most men just have natural long hair.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a serious dearth of writing talent these days who can create interesting dialogue & characterisation.

My biggest problem with this tonight was that the characters were just incredibly banal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be a serious dearth of writing talent these days who can create interesting dialogue & characterisation.

My biggest problem with this tonight was that the characters were just incredibly banal.

Sheepie, they write everyone as if they are today's Westerners. It may be more realistic if they portrayed the people then as Jihadis.... It was a dreadful time to live when beheadings and hangings were everyday occurrences.....
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this going to be available on ITV player? It's not on it just now and my PVR missed the last few minutes for some reason.

I thought it was entertaining enough.

Seamus a' chaca up to no good I see!
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind my lack of enthusiasm for period dramas, I enjoyed this more than I expected. However, it wasn't great and I'd rather the focus was solely on the fire rather than shared between the subplots. Pepys seems to have been a privileged man with a lack of morals. There's a shocker.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Hmmm well all I will say is I don't understand the politics side of it so am getting totally lost with that subplot... Might watch next week in the hope it improves, if it doesn't then I will not be watching it again.. I can't believe I just watched it tonight..maybe it was more in disbelief...
    Same here, not swayed by this episode and quite surprised to see Charles Dance in it. Within the first 10 mins, I had to remind my family that ITV are not that brilliant with producing dramas. The Yesterday channel did an interesting programme/drama on the fire which was came across much better than this. I'll watch again to see if it grows on me.
    Gill P wrote: »
    I think it was good. I also thought it was appropriate to have the scenes of the court to compare against the London scenes.
    Honest question - why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Same here, not swayed by this episode and quite surprised to see Charles Dance in it. Within the first 10 mins, I had to remind my family that ITV are not that brilliant with producing dramas. The Yesterday channel did an interesting programme/drama on the fire which was came across much better than this. I'll watch again to see if it grows on me.

Honest question - why?

You obviously haven't seen Broadchurch or Cilla, or Mr Selfridge or in fact most ITV dramas
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »

Honest question - why?

Do you have a link to it?

It seems there is another great fire programme on more 4 on saturday as well
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Is this going to be available on ITV player? It's not on it just now and my PVR missed the last few minutes for some reason.

I thought it was entertaining enough.

Seamus a' chaca up to no good I see!
    Mine did the same I got the end off it on utv player all u need to do is put in a Northern Irish postcode. It was up on there within 5-10 mins
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bailed after 30mins for the OP trial on Sky :blush:
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, this explains why Charles Dance was moaning about what he perceived as "the declining state of British Drama" in The Guardian this week. Clearly he is referring to his own show.

Im surprised he is in something like this. Not a patch on Bleak House is it.....
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    That's 15 minutes longer than I gave it. I could see it was going to be crap as soon as they started talking and the way they were dressed. Working in a bakers but not covered by white flour or sweating.

Not only that, but like most costume dramas, they looked too modern somehow. They never do their research, or just can't be bothered, to see how people actually dressed, or looked.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I'm not usually that bothered by inaccurate teeth, hair and clean clothing in historical dramas too much. I like something nice to look at. However the scene where the two young girls arrived at their Aunts without a speck of soot on them after going through a fire really stood out.

Aside from that I found the rest of it less than engaging and almost claustrophobic in its staging. It was as if they were all on one big stage, which there were I suppose and perhaps that's part of the intention, to show how it's all connected and how the fire spread so well, but I found it odd.

Which wouldn't have been a problem except that I also didn't connect with any of the characters and don't really care about them yet, but I'll give it another go next week in the hope that that changes.