BBC launches Radio Times archive listings website

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,889
Forum Member
"The BBC today launched ‘BBC Genome’, its project to publish a comprehensive history of every radio and TV programme ever broadcast by the Corporation.
It has been created by using the BBC programme schedule from digitised copies of editions of Radio Times magazine between 1923 – 2009. The next phase of the project will look at capturing regional and national variations and changes to the planned broadcast schedules."
Press release
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/bbc-unveils-digital-schedules-radio-times

Website
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

Comments

• Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the landlines on that highly distorted map, I wonder whether the Scots thought it was just a wee bit London centric...
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Looking at the landlines on that highly distorted map, I wonder whether the Scots thought it was just a wee bit London centric...

Dearie me it is a bit!!

"The official organ of the BBC". That role is now filled by Jeremy Clarkson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Dearie me it is a bit!!

"The official organ of the BBC". That role is now filled by Jeremy Clarkson.
    As well as being the official Member...;-)
  • trevorptrevorp Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    "The BBC today launched ‘BBC Genome’...]

Thanks for highlighting this. I foresee many lost hours ahead!
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amazing to look back
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally! And that's not to be ungrateful, but it's been a long time a'coming....

Very useful to have. I always regret chucking out all our Radio TImes from the 1970s.

Useful ammunition to have to hand when people make the claim that BBC Radio is as good as ever. Or am I just being old fashioned?!
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,824
    Forum Member
    trevorp wrote: »
    Thanks for highlighting this. I foresee many lost hours ahead!

I spent ages last night looking back through 80's Radio 2 schedules.
    I also pinto intend the day Steve Wright took over the 2pm slot from Ed Stewart and as a consolation Ed covered for Terry on Breakfast for a few weeks.

I too feel too many wasted hours will be spent, already saved link to favourites:o
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

I seem to remember the BBC getting into problems a few years ago when using basically the same map for their weather forecasts!
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I spent ages last night looking back through 80's Radio 2 schedules.
    I also pinto intend the day Steve Wright took over the 2pm slot from Ed Stewart and as a consolation Ed covered for Terry on Breakfast for a few weeks.

I too feel too many wasted hours will be spent, already saved link to favourites:o

I 'lost' a whole evening trawling through early Radio 1 schedules! It appears that in 1972/3 that Fluff didn't have a break for all the time he presented the afternoon show.Rather different to all the holidays the presenters get now!
  • mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I checked radio 1's schedule for 31.12.1979 as I wanted to check that was the day B.A. Robinson and Blondie In Concert were on but theres no listings for that day.
    Forum Member
    Its got the Blondie concert as 31.12.1980 at 8pm. I'm pretty certain it was 31.12.1979 at 10pm. I've still got the recording.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What got me about the radio listings was the number of different BBC services in the past (2LO, 5GB etc.), and to trace their history through to the stations of today.

One that stood out was 'BBC Stagshaw' which only lasted from 9 January 1938 until just after the outbreak of war on 9 September 1939. Why this was standalone from the other English regional programmes isn't clear to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What got me about the radio listings was the number of different BBC services in the past (2LO, 5GB etc.), and to trace their history through to the stations of today.

For example:

5XX > National Programme > Home Service (Basic) > Radio 4

One that stood out was 'BBC Stagshaw' which only lasted from 9 January 1938 until just after the outbreak of war on 9 September 1939. Why this was standalone from the other English regional programmes isn't clear to me.
    There's a very comprehensive history at www.bbceng.info/Technical%20Reviews/dev_am_tx_nw_6a.pdf

It seems that on 19 October 1937 the 1kW Newcastle 5NO station was replaced by 60kW from Stagshaw, so presumably that's why it continued to carry local programming.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    There's a very comprehensive history at www.bbceng.info/Technical%20Reviews/dev_am_tx_nw_6a.pdf

The link doesn't seem to work unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    The link doesn't seem to work unfortunately.
    D'oh !

Sorry, seems my phat phingers broke it when I added more info to my post.

It's OK now.
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mailmos98 wrote: »
    I checked radio 1's schedule for 31.12.1979 as I wanted to check that was the day B.A. Robinson and Blondie In Concert were on but theres no listings for that day.

This needs reporting to the project team. My copy of the Radio Times for that date shows:
    7 pm The Return of BA Robertson with "three hours of suitably Scottish silliness"
    9.50 pm Newsbeat
    10.0 pm Blondie In Concert from the Apollo Theatre, Glasgow
    10.45 pm Adrian Juste
    Forum Member
    This needs reporting to the project team. My copy of the Radio Times for that date shows:
    7 pm The Return of BA Robertson with "three hours of suitably Scottish silliness"
    9.50 pm Newsbeat
    10.0 pm Blondie In Concert from the Apollo Theatre, Glasgow
    10.45 pm Adrian Juste

My memory must be spot on then!
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mailmos98 wrote: »
    My memory must be spot on then!
    Did Radio 1 also count down the best selling singles of the 1970s on that day too? I have a vague memory of a 1970s decade end countdown on Radio 1 but can't find this scheduled on any other day.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I remember the BBC Programme Catalogue being available to the public a number of years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Programme_Catalogue
    I wonder how the method of data collation differed then.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the coverage of sport in the 1930s is interesting. On Saturdays there would be a national commentary, which could be anything - rugby union, hockey, cricket or association football from Northern Ireland. The commentary would itself be a programme, without the pre-match or post-match coverage we're used to today. Later on regional stations, there would be eye witness reports from matches, rather than reports from professional reporters broadcast within a few minutes of the match finishing.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    There are 54 instances of the word 'fart', most of them OCR errors :)
  • David TDavid T Posts: 32
    Forum Member

The Stagshaw transmitter had a strange footprint; in post war times it was used for a combined Newcastle / Northern Ireland Home Service. Irish listeners would have the local news from Newcastle, and those in the north east would enjoy the livestock prices from Fermanagh! True local services did not arrive until the introduction of FM.
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re Stagshaw: well not quite like that.

After the re-organisation of 1945 Stagshaw shared with Lisnagarvey (the pre-war-constructed main Northern Ireland MW site, 100 kW, ie high powered) in what we would call today a single frequency network on 1050 kHz. It wasn't that Stagshaw itself covered Ulster. In 1950 the frequency changed to 1151 kHz with Londonderry sharing it as well. This sharing was simply because there weren't enough wavelengths to go round. It was only when the BBC European Service surrendered 1340 kHz that Lisnagarvey/Londonderry could take that frequency - which happened in about 1962 from memory.

But you are right on the programming, there were some odd bedfellows in those days!
  • ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great site and interesting but riddled with OCR errors.
    Jan Lecming, John Travels Newsround etc....
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shimano wrote: »
    Great site and interesting but riddled with OCR errors.
    Jan Lecming, John Travels Newsround etc....

To be expected. I use the British Newspaper Archive regularly and those are quite trivial errors compared with what you see there but at last on the BNA it is only an index leading to the image of the actual page.