Best supporting actress nominee and Bette Davis co-star Joan Lorring dies aged 88

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Coral sounds like quite a character!:o:D

I think I will swerve that youtube video of Shelley Winters!:o

Do you think either of the Hepburns had cosmetic surgery?

Would studios have ever "insisted" stars have cosmetic surgery or would it have been entirely of their own volation?

Katie Hepburn admitted to having eyelid surgery because she said that her eyes were looking like a possum's, and feeling worse. I don't think that Audrey had anything done, she had wonderful bone structure, and was only 63 when she died.

Angela Lansbury said that her 1976 and 1987 neck tightening and subsequent face lift have helped her to a more youthful attitude.

Looking at photo's of Barbara, I am sure that she also had an eyelift.

I don't think that any studio would have insisted on any of their stars having cosmetic surgery. I should imagine that most of them did it of their own free will to help them get work, and also for their self esteem.

Coral Browne was not only a great wit, but a wonderfully talented actress. She is hilarious in Roz Russell's Auntie Mame, and unforgettable as the lesbian who steals Susannah York from Beryl Reid in The Killing of Sister George. She is also brilliant playing herself in Alan Bennett's An Englishman Abroad, which tells the true story of when she met the spy Guy Burgess when she was appearing onstage in Moscow.

The stories of Coral's one liner's and put down's are legendary,

She was a devout Catholic convert, and was standing on the steps of the Brompton Oratory after Mass when a theatrical queen bustled up to her with the latest piece of gossip.

"Please!" said Coral, drawing herself up to her full height, and raising a gloved hand dramatically.

"I don't want to hear such filth, not with me standing here in a state of F#####g grace!" :p:D
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    Katie Hepburn admitted to having eyelid surgery because she said that her eyes were looking like a possum's, and feeling worse. I don't think that Audrey had anything done, she had wonderful bone structure, and was only 63 when she died.

Angela Lansbury said that her 1976 and 1987 neck tightening and subsequent face lift have helped her to a more youthful attitude.

Looking at photo's of Barbara, I am sure that she also had an eyelift.

I don't think that any studio would have insisted on any of their stars having cosmetic surgery. I should imagine that most of them did it of their own free will to help them get work, and also for their self esteem.

Coral Browne was not only a great wit, but a wonderfully talented actress. She is hilarious in Roz Russell's Auntie Mame, and unforgettable as the lesbian who steals Susannah York from Beryl Reid in The Killing of Sister George. She is also brilliant playing herself in Alan Bennett's An Englishman Abroad, which tells the true story of when she met the spy Guy Burgess when she was appearing onstage in Moscow.

The stories of Coral's one liner's and put down's are legendary,

She was a devout Catholic convert, and was standing on the steps of the Brompton Oratory after Mass when a theatrical queen bustled up to her with the latest piece of gossip.

"Please!" said Coral, drawing herself up to her full height, and raising a gloved hand dramatically.

"I don't want to hear such filth, not with me standing here in a state of F#####g grace!" :p:D

I hadnt realised Angela Lansbury had a facelift-I knew shed had under her eyes done as she mentioned in an interview regarding Murder She Wrote.a

Angela Lansbury seems to me to be of the best most shining examples of an old hollywood star who actually became immensely nore succesful in tv rather than moviez?Are there to your mind any other striking examples of this phenonmenen?Or would many film stars from this era have viewed tv as being beneath them?

Other folk please feel free to join in!
    Forum Member
    I hadnt realised Angela Lansbury had a facelift-I knew shed had under her eyes done as she mentioned in an interview regarding Murder She Wrote.a

Angela Lansbury seems to me to be of the best most shining examples of an old hollywood star who actually became immensely nore succesful in tv rather than moviez?Are there to your mind any other striking examples of this phenonmenen?Or would many film stars from this era have viewed tv as being beneath them?

Other folk please feel free to join in!

Barbara Stanwyck is a great example of a star of Hollywood's Golden Age who had a whole new career when she moved to Television.

When she signed to star in The Big Valley in 1965 her film career was over, although she was only 58.

Within a year she had won her second Emmy as Best Actress in a TV series, as well as the Photoplay Gold Medal as it's readers favourite TV actress.

She was back on the cover of all the fan magazines, which were resurrecting stories of her romance and marriage to Robert Taylor, and their eventual divorce. What also happened was that she was discovered by a whole new generation of young fans who before this show had probably never heard of her. They began watching all her wonderful Classic films from the '30's and 40's when she was young and sexy, and realised just how versatile she was. She said that even in her hey day she never had fans picnicking on her lawn, which subsequently led to her moving to Loma Vista, a more private and secluded part of Beverley Hills. The series ran for four years, and even though it finished 45 years ago it is still being shown regularly all over the world. I recorded all 112 episodes when it was shown on Sky a few years ago.

Many of the members of my Stanwyck Group weren't even born when that show was first aired. But they said their parents watched it and when it was repeated they got into it, and then later saw her films. Consequently, almost a quarter century after her death she is being discovered all over again by yet another generation. :)
    Forum Member
    Barbara Stanwyck is a great example of a star of Hollywood's Golden Age who had a whole new career when she moved to Television.

When she signed to star in The Big Valley in 1965 her film career was over, although she was only 58.

Within a year she had won her second Emmy as Best Actress in a TV series, as well as the Photoplay Gold Medal as it's readers favourite TV actress.

She was back on the cover of all the fan magazines, which were resurrecting stories of her romance and marriage to Robert Taylor, and their eventual divorce. What also happened was that she was discovered by a whole new generation of young fans who before this show had probably never heard of her. They began watching all her wonderful Classic films from the '30's and 40's when she was young and sexy, and realised just how versatile she was. She said that even in her hey day she never had fans picnicking on her lawn, which subsequently led to her moving to Loma Vista, a more private and secluded part of Beverley Hills. The series ran for four years, and even though it finished 45 years ago it is still being shown regularly all over the world. I recorded all 112 episodes when it was shown on Sky a few years ago.

Many of the members of my Stanwyck Group weren't even born when that show was first aired. But they said their parents watched it and when it was repeated they got into it, and then later saw her films. Consequently, almost a quarter century after her death she is being discovered all over again by yet another generation. :)

I love how media technology and online posssibltys mean that all future generations will have the possibility/option of discovering Bette Davis,Barbara Stanwyck,Citizen Kane etc.We live in very lucky times were we can help preserve our favourites legacy?
    Forum Member
    I love how media technology and online posssibltys mean that all future generations will have the possibility/option of discovering Bette Davis,Barbara Stanwyck,Citizen Kane etc.We live in very lucky times were we can help preserve our favourites legacy?

Yes indeed! and here's hoping that some of the 13.800 Forum readers who have been reading our nostalgic ramblings will be curious enough to seek out some of films and stars from the magical time that we have been discussing. :)
    Forum Member
    Yes indeed! and here's hoping that some of the 13.800 Forum readers who have been reading our nostalgic ramblings will be curious enough to seek out some of films and stars from the magical time that we have been discussing. :)

Agreed!They will be missing out imo if they dont at least have a quick peek out of curiosity.

Ive noticed a number of fansites,appreciation societies,fanclubs etc online.Are a select few run by family members of the star or in most cases late star?
    Forum Member
    Agreed!They will be missing out imo if they dont at least have a quick peek out of curiosity.

Ive noticed a number of fansites,appreciation societies,fanclubs etc online.Are a select few run by family members of the star or in most cases late star?

I know that Joan Crawford's grandson Casey LaLonde contributes to a tribute site called Legendary Joan Crawford.

Maureen O'Hara has a web site dedicated to her by a fan who has become a friend.

Others, like my Stanwyck Tribute site are run by long time fans, and it is just as well that I am retired, because it is a full time job keeping it updated. I spend several hours every day adding new photo's and screen captures, which now total 15.510.

I created it ten years ago, with just two members, and we now have 175. :)

For anyone who might be interested, or just curious, you can see it by going to this link.

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/MissBarbaraStanwyck
    Forum Member
    I know that Joan Crawford's grandson Casey LaLonde contributes to a tribute site called Legendary Joan Crawford.

Maureen O'Hara has a web site dedicated to her by a fan who has become a friend.

Others, like my Stanwyck Tribute site are run by long time fans, and it is just as well that I am retired, because it is a full time job keeping it updated. I spend several hours every day adding new photo's and screen captures, which now total 15.510.

I created it ten years ago, with just two members, and we now have 175. :)

For anyone who might be interested, or just curious, you can see it by going to this link.

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/MissBarbaraStanwyck

I really admire people who are so passionate dedicated and focused as fans that they do this.I dont view it so much as preserving history but preserving greatness for future folk toexperience.

Do you think youll ever revist Los Angeles to visit the hollywood walk of fame?Any special places in LA youd recomnend to lovers of old Hollywood to visit?
    Forum Member
    I really admire people who are so passionate dedicated and focused as fans that they do this.I dont view it so much as preserving history but preserving greatness for future folk toexperience.

Do you think youll ever revist Los Angeles to visit the hollywood walk of fame?Any special places in LA youd recomnend to lovers of old Hollywood to visit?

No, I would never return. I went there just once in 1979, and it was already past it's best, so I can just imagine how tacky it is now.

I stayed at the posh end of Hollywood Boulevard, in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, right opposite Graumans Chinese Theatre, with Barbara's hand and footprints in cement at the entrance. You can see the photo's that I took in our group.

I only visited Universal Studios, I always regretted that I never went to Paramount, my own particular favourite. There were some wonderful film memorabilia shops in Hollywood Boulevard when I was there, although I don't know whether they are still there after all these years.

I see we have now had over 14.000 visitors to this thread , we shouldn't have any trouble in reaching 25.000 by Christmas. ;-)
    Forum Member
    No, I would never return. I went there just once in 1979, and it was already past it's best, so I can just imagine how tacky it is now.

I stayed at the posh end of Hollywood Boulevard, in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, right opposite Graumans Chinese Theatre, with Barbara's hand and footprints in cement at the entrance. You can see the photo's that I took in our group.

I only visited Universal Studios, I always regretted that I never went to Paramount, my own particular favourite. There were some wonderful film memorabilia shops in Hollywood Boulevard when I was there, although I don't know whether they are still there after all these years.

I see we have now had over 14.000 visitors to this thread , we shouldn't have any trouble in reaching 25.000 by Christmas. ;-)

Would you ever be tempted to visit Broadway again-Maybe see one of the old timers like Angela Lansbury perform?I wonder if Liza Minnelli will ever hit Broadway again bigtime?

I dont think we will have any trouble reaching that figure by christmas!I certainly still have lots of questions angles and topics in my mind!:D
    Forum Member
    Would you ever be tempted to visit Broadway again-Maybe see one of the old timers like Angela Lansbury perform?I wonder if Liza Minnelli will ever hit Broadway again bigtime?

I dont think we will have any trouble reaching that figure by christmas!I certainly still have lots of questions angles and topics in my mind!:D

No, I have no desire to ever travel again, when my passport expires in four years time I won't be renewing it.

I saw Liza when she was 18, and made her London debut at the Palladium with her mother in 1964. To me she is now a sad caricature of what she once was, a bit like Judy when I saw her at The Talk of the Town in 1969, just six months before she died.

Sometimes it is better to give up, especially when the voice has gone, and leave the fans with their memories.
    Forum Member
    No, I have no desire to ever travel again, when my passport expires in four years time I won't be renewing it.

I saw Liza when she was 18, and made her London debut at the Palladium with her mother in 1964. To me she is now a sad caricature of what she once was, a bit like Judy when I saw her at The Talk of the Town in 1969, just six months before she died.

Sometimes it is better to give up, especially when the voice has gone, and leave the fans with their memories.

I tend to agree with you on this.I cant see Liza ever having a leading role or even medium role in a hollywood film again.

Who else would you say if anyone has stayed at the party longer than dignity would advise?!
    Forum Member
    I tend to agree with you on this.I cant see Liza ever having a leading role or even medium role in a hollywood film again.

Who else would you say if anyone has stayed at the party longer than dignity would advise?!

Barbara, Bette and Joan should all have turned down their last roles.

When Barbara in her Emmy winning performance as Mary Carson, closed the door on Richard Chamberlain as Father de Bricassart in The Thorn Birds, that would have been the perfect time to lower the curtain on a magnificent career.

Instead, she got involved with the dreadful The Colby's, they even gave her a geriatric lover, which was embarrassing for both her and her loyal fans. Even she realised that she had made a mistake when she said to producer Aaron Spelling, "This is the biggest pile of garbage I ever did. It is one thing to know you're making a lot of money off vulgarity, but when you don't know it's vulgar - it's plain stupid!" She then asked for her release, and they killed off her character.

Poor Bette had just over a year to live when she signed to appear in Wicked Stepmother. Dying of cancer she weighed just 77 pounds and sadly looked like a walking corpse. She was too weak to continue, and as she was playing a witch, she was transformed into the much younger Barbara Carrera. The film was released straight on to video.

Joan Crawford's last film appearance was equally humiliating, she came over here to star in a nasty cheapie entitled "Trog" - short for Troglodyite.

After starring opposite such distinguished leading men as Gable, Tracy, and Robert Taylor, poor Joan's last leading man was dressed up in a monkey skin.

I think that this review really sums up the whole sorry mess really well:

"Get me my hypo-gun and then shoot me with it!" This is an absolute howler!! See Joan face down the troglodyte with her hypo-gun. See Joan's wardrobe of pink, white and tan lab coats!! See Joan bully the troglodyte into submission!

A sad end to a glorious career for sure, but let there be no doubt, it's still the one and only Joan.... kicking troglodyte ass no less. Heck if I had a murderous troglodyte on the loose, I'd call Joan! Crawford is quite game in her role as the scientist, and maintains a straight face throughout. No matter if she is tossing rubber lizards to Trog, or crawling around in the dark calling out to the monster. This is a gloriously bad movie. Mommie Dearest was never crueller!"

My own particular favourite scene is when Joan walk into her laboratory, and addressing the man in the bad fitting money suit says, with a straight face, "Good Morning Trog!" :D:D:D

Which just proves my theory that even the greatest stars should know when it is time to bow out!
    Forum Member
    Barbara, Bette and Joan should all have turned down their last roles.

When Barbara in her Emmy winning performance as Mary Carson, closed the door on Richard Chamberlain as Father de Bricassart in The Thorn Birds, that would have been the perfect time to lower the curtain on a magnificent career.

Instead, she got involved with the dreadful The Colby's, they even gave her a geriatric lover, which was embarrassing for both her and her loyal fans. Even she realised that she had made a mistake when she said to producer Aaron Spelling, "This is the biggest pile of garbage I ever did. It is one thing to know you're making a lot of money off vulgarity, but when you don't know it's vulgar - it's plain stupid!" She then asked for her release, and they killed off her character.

Poor Bette had just over a year to live when she signed to appear in Wicked Stepmother. Dying of cancer she weighed just 77 pounds and sadly looked like a walking corpse. She was too weak to continue, and as she was playing a witch, she was transformed into the much younger Barbara Carrera. The film was released straight on to video.

Joan Crawford's last film appearance was equally humiliating, she came over here to star in a nasty cheapie entitled "Trog" - short for Troglodyite.

After starring opposite such distinguished leading men as Gable, Tracy, and Robert Taylor, poor Joan's last leading man was dressed up in a monkey skin.

I think that this review really sums up the whole sorry mess really well:

"Get me my hypo-gun and then shoot me with it!" This is an absolute howler!! See Joan face down the troglodyte with her hypo-gun. See Joan's wardrobe of pink, white and tan lab coats!! See Joan bully the troglodyte into submission!

A sad end to a glorious career for sure, but let there be no doubt, it's still the one and only Joan.... kicking troglodyte ass no less. Heck if I had a murderous troglodyte on the loose, I'd call Joan! Crawford is quite game in her role as the scientist, and maintains a straight face throughout. No matter if she is tossing rubber lizards to Trog, or crawling around in the dark calling out to the monster. This is a gloriously bad movie. Mommie Dearest was never crueller!"

My own particular favourite scene is when Joan walk into her laboratory, and addressing the man in the bad fitting money suit says, with a straight face, "Good Morning Trog!" :D:D:D

Which just proves my theory that even the greatest stars should know when it is time to bow out!

I definitely need to see Joans last film....it sounds so bad its good!:D

Did Joan come to realise that it was a mistake?One things for sure there will only ever be one Joan Crawford-I cant imagine how Joan would fit in in todays hollywood.Would you say that Joan was the most controversial out of the trio of herself ,Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck?Did Joan court the press interest or did she loathe it?
    Forum Member
    I definitely need to see Joans last film....it sounds so bad its good!:D

Did Joan come to realise that it was a mistake?One things for sure there will only ever be one Joan Crawford-I cant imagine how Joan would fit in in todays hollywood.Would you say that Joan was the most controversial out of the trio of herself ,Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck?Did Joan court the press interest or did she loathe it?

Joan certainly did regret Trog, and the last few films that she did. This is what she said:

"Now, please don't ask me about any pictures that followed Baby Jane. They were all terrible, even the few that I thought might be good. I made them because I needed the money or because I was bored, or both. I hope that they have been exhibited and withdrawn and are never heard from again. If I weren't a Christian Scientist, and I saw Trog advertised on a marquee across the street, I think I'd contemplate suicide."

Joan was a pressman's dream, she courted them like no other star of that era or any other. She also courted the fans, alerting them when she was arriving at a destination so that she could be sure of a cheering crowd when she arrived. When she was staying at a New York hotel, a new press agent that she had hired made the mistake of mentioning that he had turned some fans away as he didn't think she would want to be bothered with them after a hard days work. The next thing he knew was that he felt such a hard slap across his face that he dropped the drink that he was pouring for her.

"You did what!" she said, "How dare you treat my people like that! Go right down to the street and apologise and invite them up." Which he did, and after she had received them very graciously and signed all of their autographs, she said to the press agent, "Now I would like you to show these people out, and then show yourself out, for good!" This was typical of Joan, she always said of her fans, "They made me, and if they want to see me they can, whenever it is possible."

When she stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel in Park Lane she would regularly invite waiting fans up to her luxury suite for sandwiches and of course Pepsi Cola, she was on their board for quite a few years. She answered every fan letter, and it was said that she sent thank you notes for thank you notes. :D

Bette was great with the press too, very articulate and relaxed in interviews, and very funny at times, especially when she got onto the subject of Joan. :D

They both appeared on panel shows like Whats My Line several times, and Bette was regularly on chat shows, and when she came to the UK she appeared on Parkinson, Wogan, and with Gloria Hunniford.

She was also one of the first stars to do an evening with an audience where she answered questions in between clips of her films. I was fortunate enough to see her evening at the London Palladium in 1975.

Barbara was a very private lady, she hated appearing as herself, and was never on panel shows like What's My Line, or any chat shows. She warned her friends that if she was ever tricked into being the subject of This is Your Life that she would walk straight out. She only usually gave press interviews if she had a new film or TV show to publicise. I know from experience that she was very good with fans, but I couldn't believe how shy she was. She posed for photo's with me, but didn't say a word, apart from saying, "Oh, your the one!" when I introduced myself. Well, I had been stalking her by post for the past 35 years. :D

I was amazed when she appeared in a great documentary called "Portrait - Barbara Stanwyck" in 1968. It was filmed on the set of her TV series The Big Valley which ran for four years between 1965 and 1969. She seemed very relaxed, and talked about her early days, and even how she got her screen name, her real name was Ruby Stevens.
    You can see a not very good copy on YouTube. I bought a 16mm copy from a fan who I visited in Indiana and then had it transferred to video, which I later transferred to disc.

During her only visit to London in 1947 she stayed at Claridges with her then husband Robert Taylor. She gave a press reception at the Savoy Hotel where she modelled all of her gowns from The Other Love, the film that she came over here for the World Premiere at The Empire, Leicester Square. She also appeared on the BBC and also went to the Daily Mail Ideal Home Exhibition. You can see photo's of her London visit in the Group photo albums.
    Forum Member
    Wow Walter I hadnt realised that Joan Crawford was so fan friendly!For some reason Id assumed she wasnt.I thought her grandness would translate into detached self importance but then I guess some stars despite other factors really do cherish the realisation that fans are in a sense their lifeblood.
    Any golden era stars who were notorious for being haughty (not shy) with fans?
    Seems to me that Joan went above and beyond for her fans and thus the dedicated hardcore passionate ones returned the loyalty to her in spades.

Yes Ive seen a few times in interview Bette Davis getting animated when talking about Joan Crawford-:DI also recall someone who was a dinner party guest were Bette was present less than a year after Joan had died telling a story were someone mentioned Joan and Bette was criticising Joan with vigourous passion and the guest urged her not to speak like this now that Joans dead and Bette allegedly replied "Just because shes dead doesnt mean shes changed"!!:D
    Forum Member
    Wow Walter I hadnt realised that Joan Crawford was so fan friendly!For some reason Id assumed she wasnt.I thought her grandness would translate into detached self importance but then I guess some stars despite other factors really do cherish the realisation that fans are in a sense their lifeblood.
    Any golden era stars who were notorious for being haughty (not shy) with fans?
    Seems to me that Joan went above and beyond for her fans and thus the dedicated hardcore passionate ones returned the loyalty to her in spades.

Yes Ive seen a few times in interview Bette Davis getting animated when talking about Joan Crawford-:DI also recall someone who was a dinner party guest were Bette was present less than a year after Joan had died telling a story were someone mentioned Joan and Bette was criticising Joan with vigourous passion and the guest urged her not to speak like this now that Joans dead and Bette allegedly replied "Just because shes dead doesnt mean shes changed"!!:D

One of my favourite Bette stories sounds almost too good to be true, but when asked about Joan she said,

"One should always speak good of the dead, Joan Crawford is dead. GOOD!! :D:D:D

I felt sorry for the Sylvia Sydney fan who had loved her for about as long as I loved Barbara. He owned a film memorabilia shop and was thrilled when one day his idol came in. He raved on to her about how long he had loved her, and she turned to him and said, "You must be out of your fu####g mind!" Just imagine how devastating that must have been for him. :(

I feel so lucky because I not only met my favourite star, and although she was very reserved, she was kind enough to suggest that we had our photo taken together because she knew how much it would mean to me. Thirty three years later I still look back on that evening as one of the most unforgettable moments of my life. :)
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite Bette stories sounds almost too good to be true, but when asked about Joan she said,

"One should always speak good of the dead, Joan Crawford is dead. GOOD!! :D:D:D

I felt sorry for the Sylvia Sydney fan who had loved her for about as long as I loved Barbara. He owned a film memorabilia shop and was thrilled when one day his idol came in. He raved on to her about how long he had loved her, and she turned to him and said, "You must be out of your fu####g mind!" Just imagine how devastating that must have been for him. :(

I feel so lucky because I not only met my favourite star, and although she was very reserved, she was kind enough to suggest that we had our photo taken together because she knew how much it would mean to me. Thirty three years later I still look back on that evening as one of the most unforgettable moments of my life. :)

Sylvia was very harsh-I wonder if that person remained a fan of hers?!

You were so lucky to have been a dedicated fan of someone as gracious as Barbara who Im sure made a special effort for you because of your unfailing loyalty.

At my most bizarrely curious moments I do wonder what Barbara would have made of the likes of Paris Hilton,Kim Kardishan,Lindsay Lohan ,botox ,selfies and stars tweeting!
    Forum Member
    Sylvia was very harsh-I wonder if that person remained a fan of hers?!

You were so lucky to have been a dedicated fan of someone as gracious as Barbara who Im sure made a special effort for you because of your unfailing loyalty.

At my most bizarrely curious moments I do wonder what Barbara would have made of the likes of Paris Hilton,Kim Kardishan,Lindsay Lohan ,botox ,selfies and stars tweeting!

I know that she had no time for draft dodgers and hippies, she called them the great unwashed. I should imagine that she would only have contempt for these so called reality "stars." She worshipped talent, but had no time for those who were not as dedicated and professional as she was.

She was totally without ego, she once said, " Career is too pompous a word, it was a job, and I felt very privileged to be paid so well for something that I loved doing."

She always encouraged younger talent, Marilyn said that Barbara was the only member of Hollywood's older generation who was kind to her.

Barbara was also very impressed with Elvis, she said that she expected temperament, but she was pleasantly surprised, and described him as "a fine young gentleman,"

I watched Linda Evans on the PBS Channel last night talking about Barbara. She was in tears as she said that she taught her everything she knew when she played her daughter in The Big Valley. She also said that she took over the role of her mother when her own mother died.
    Forum Member
    I know that she had no time for draft dodgers and hippies, she called them the great unwashed. I should imagine that she would only have contempt for these so called reality "stars." She worshipped talent, but had no time for those who were not as dedicated and professional as she was.

She was totally without ego, she once said, " Career is too pompous a word, it was a job, and I felt very privileged to be paid so well for something that I loved doing."

She always encouraged younger talent, Marilyn said that Barbara was the only member of Hollywood's older generation who was kind to her.

Barbara was also very impressed with Elvis, she said that she expected temperament, but she was pleasantly surprised, and described him as "a fine young gentleman,"

I watched Linda Evans on the PBS Channel last night talking about Barbara. She was in tears as she said that she taught her everything she knew when she played her daughter in The Big Valley. She also said that she took over the role of her mother when her own mother died.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Wow I had no idea that Marilyn Monroe and Barbara Stanwyck had struck up a friendship of sorts.On the surface in many ways they seem like chalk and cheese .Yet I guess Marilyn is a hard person to read,shrouded in mystique and myth.

I think in terms of giving their thoughts on Hollywood in 2014 Bette Davis in particular I imagine would be the most scatching and colourful in her comparisions and observations!:D

Who would you say were likely to be the 5 people from the golden era who Barbara Stanwyck would have loved to have had as costars to have worked with but sadly didnt?
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

Wow I had no idea that Marilyn Monroe and Barbara Stanwyck had struck up a friendship of sorts.On the surface in many ways they seem like chalk and cheese .Yet I guess Marilyn is a hard person to read,shrouded in mystique and myth.

I think in terms of giving their thoughts on Hollywood in 2014 Bette Davis in particular I imagine would be the most scatching and colourful in her comparisions and observations!:D

Who would you say were likely to be the 5 people from the golden era who Barbara Stanwyck would have loved to have had as costars to have worked with but sadly didnt?

Both Robert Ryan and Paul Douglas were nasty to Marilyn when they were filming Clash By Night in 1952, resenting what they thought was her sudden rise to fame, even though she had been in films since 1946. Director Fritz Lang described Barbara as "an Angel" with the way she kept her cool when Marilyn kept fluffing her lines. I don't know whether you have seen the film, but there is a scene when Barbara is hanging washing on a line while talking to Marilyn. They had to shoot this scene TWENTY FIVE times before Marilyn finally got it right. Each time Barbara put the laundry back in the basket and then hung it up again, and each time word perfect. When Paul Douglas exploded, complaining about "that blonde bitch!" Barbara said to him, "Look Paul, she's younger and prettier than us, and watch out, she's going to be a big star." This was the first time that Marilyn had her name above the title, fourth billed, after Barbara, Robert Ryan, and Paul Douglas. It's release also coincided with the discovery of the nude calendar that Marilyn had posed for when she was young and hungry. When reporters asked her why she didn't have anything on when posing for the photo's she quipped, "sure I did, I had the radio on." :D

The public and her fans liked her honesty, and she became even more popular, and Barbara's prophesy was correct. Just one year later Marilyn shot to superstardom in Niagara, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and How to Marry a Millionaire.

After 62 years, I can also understand another reason why Barbara was so kind to Marilyn, she probably reminded her of herself when she was a struggling and hungry young chorus girl. It was only four years ago that I discovered the semi nudes that Barbara had posed for when she was just 16 years old. In the 68 years that I have been a fan I had no idea that such photo's existed until then. They are extremely beautiful, and as tasteful as Marilyn's nude photo's.

I can't think of five male stars who Barbara would have liked to have worked with, because she worked with nearly all of them, including Gable, Cooper, Flynn, Bogart, Fonda, Taylor, Cagney, Lancaster, and Douglas, but I know of two who she missed, and really regretted never having the chance to work with. I am not sure whether I have mentioned this before, but she was all set to work in Once Upon a Honeymoon with Cary Grant in 1942. In fact she had even had costume tests, and then Ginger Rogers, who was under contract to RKO insisted that she wanted to do the film. As it tuned it it was a big flop, but it was her last chance to work with Cary. I always thought how much better she would have been in Hitchcock's Notorious rather than Bergman, but then I am prejudiced as I can't abide Bergman.

Barbara always said that she was pining away to work with Spencer Tracy, but he never asked her. I can definitely see her in the Hepburn role in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.
    Forum Member
    How true Barbaras wise prediction came!

Im surprised but NOT scandalised to hear about Barbaras nude pics.Nudity aint neccesarily sleazey as Im sure youll agree and I bet theres many other stars of this era and subsequent eras who did this and whom wed be quite surprised if we heard their names.
    I do recall hearing an unsubstianted rumour that Joan Crawford made some kind of "naughty" film/reel/tape in Hollywood before she became famous and took strong drastic steps to stop it becoming a public scandal!
    Hollywood then as now has an underbelly of secrets and surprises.

What would you say were some of the biggest hollywood scandals before the "more relaxed" 1960s?
    Forum Member
    Barbara Stanwyck and,Spencer Tracey would have been a divine dreamteam I suspect!
    Forum Member
    How true Barbaras wise prediction came!

Im surprised but NOT scandalised to hear about Barbaras nude pics.Nudity aint neccesarily sleazey as Im sure youll agree and I bet theres many other stars of this era and subsequent eras who did this and whom wed be quite surprised if we heard their names.
    I do recall hearing an unsubstianted rumour that Joan Crawford made some kind of "naughty" film/reel/tape in Hollywood before she became famous and took strong drastic steps to stop it becoming a public scandal!
    Hollywood then as now has an underbelly of secrets and surprises.

What would you say were some of the biggest hollywood scandals before the "more relaxed" 1960s?

It is a pity that we can't attach photo's to our messages in here, because I would like everyone to see just how beautiful and extremely tasteful those semi nudes are

If you haven't seen them in my group. they are in the album, "From Ruby Stevens to Barbara Stanwyck" - this album has early photo's of her as a child, and some very rare modelling shots.

I have never believed the Crawford blue film story, I am sure that it would have turned up by now if it ever existed.

There were plenty of Scandals in Hollywood right back to the silent era when heart throb Wallace Reid died of morphine addiction, and not forgetting the Fatty Arbuckle rape trial. The 1940's saw the Errol Flynn rape trial, although he was acquitted, and as his friend Ida Lupino said, "Errol never raped anyone, it was the girls who did all the chasing."

Robert Mitchum went to jail in the late '40's for being caught smoking marijuana, and he thought that his film career was over. Luckily, it suited his bad boy image, and he became an even bigger star when he finished his sentence.

MGM and the other big studios were expert at covering up any awkward situations that their contract stars may find themselves in. When Van Johnson, their hottest male star of the mid 1940's was discovered to be gay the studio quickly arranged a marriage between him and his best friend Keenan Wynn's ex wife Evie.
    Forum Member
    I feel sure Van Johnson wasnt the only gay star of hollywoods golden era who hid their sexuality with the aid of a beard!Am I right in thinking that Rock Hudson married at one point?:confused:

Ive always thought that Barbara was a natural beauty,moreso than Bette Davis or Joan Crawford.Natural elegnance is a phrase that springs to mind.

I actually wasnt aware that such allegations were made against Errol Flynn.Did he ever bounce back from this as I know he died relatively young?Similarly with Fatty Arbuckle-Was his career sunk by the scandal?

I find historical scandals from royalty to hollywood fascinating!