Forum Member
✭✭
I miss it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the dance off. We were forced to see the worst dances twice! Better to see the best dance again.

When Goldie went out far too soon I had a momentary wish that we should have had a dance off. But then I remembered what happens if we do have one. People then stop voting for the best couples thinking that the judges will save them. Then, as in the past, two good dancers are up against each other and one has to go.

Why not have a very short show later in the evening and let us know the result? The results show is now a nothing and the new dancers brought in simply to dance are of an inferior standard as compared to the professionals who took part in the past.
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Yeah...lets bring back the dance off so that everyone can complain about it and demand it is removed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I 100% agree, I'm a bit annoyed they've got rid of it. :(
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nooooooo the dance-off cost Austin his place in the final :(

And it didn't stop Kate or John Sergeant advancing. It merely postponed the departure of some fairly good dancers that couldn't muster enough public support.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I've become so used to the dance-off that I'm finding the results show a bit anti-climactic without it. That doesn't mean I want it brought back, though. I'm sure I'll adjust after a few weeks. And if they would make more of an effort to showcase the pros dance, I'm sure that would help ;)
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dance-off - good riddance!!!
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I'm delighted it's gone!

The person with the lowest combined score score goes - simples!!

As said up there^^^ all it did was encourage votes for the awful dancers to keep them out of the bottom 2 as long a possible.

That said - I never got antsy about the stinkers progressing anyway. There can only be 2 or 3 in the final anyway, so as long as they don't keep the deserving finalists out (and for me at this stage that is Matt, Pamela and Scott), I don't care if Ann lasts until the semi final
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

And it didn't stop Kate or John Sergeant advancing. It merely postponed the departure of some fairly good dancers that couldn't muster enough public support.

Yes to the second bit, but no to the first - a crappy salsa and reliance on his 'guns' cost Austin his place in the final :p

It's times like this we remember why the dance-off was introduced - but later in the series Mystic LL predicts we'll have cause to be grateful for its removal at least once.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without the dance off, the results show is screwed.

The dance off was only really a problem in the latter stages, when it had already done its job and then became a tool to give the judges too much say.

In the early stages, it can give a good dancer a chance to stay in - unless the public have been stupid enough (collectively) to leave two good dancers in the dance off..

The argument about the publics right to chose who goes would be stronger if everyone voted for every celeb except the one they wanted eliminated. I'm not going to vote for 13 out of 14, and I think most people are the same.
    The BBC of course could let you vote for one person you wanted eliminated, but that would generate less money.

The right way to use the dance off is to have it until the dancers have got down to a reasonable number - I would say five, and then remove it.

I would have five people reaching the semi-final and then eliminate two, so the results show wouldn't suffer.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    I am completely baffled at the number of posters calling for the return of the dance off.

Why people why?????

It meant that Len got too big for his dancing shoes

Judges changed the rules every week to suit their favourites

Boring celebs got through

Celebs we actually wanted to see got knocked out

end of.
  • Options
    SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Mrs F wrote: »
    I am completely baffled at the number of posters calling for the return of the dance off.

Why people why?????

It meant that Len got too big for his dancing shoes

Judges changed the rules every week to suit their favourites

Boring celebs got through

Celebs we actually wanted to see got knocked out

end of.

Too right..

Last year, most people were getting their "knickers in a knot" (try saying that after a few drinks:rolleyes:) clamouring for the dance off to be scrapped and now people want it back....??????

Make up your minds..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    The removal of the dance-off has been the best change this year IMO
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People haven't changed their minds, thay're just pointing out that the producers made another mistake.:D

It could also be a case of fixing what was wrong with the dance-off instead of it being only stay or go.
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »

Hear, hear!
  • Options
    tiddlebootiddleboo Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the bum squeaking horror of the 'Sunday' dance-off :(
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The dance off was fine up to the final 5 or 6 contestants - what ruined it was keeping it up to the semi final thus meaning the judges could override the public's choice and get rid of the person regularly topping the public vote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Meh. I always used to fast forward the dance off anyway so I'm not too bothered about it being gone.
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I'm delighted it's gone!

The person with the lowest combined score score goes - simples!!

As said up there^^^ all it did was encourage votes for the awful dancers to keep them out of the bottom 2 as long a possible.

That said - I never got antsy about the stinkers progressing anyway. There can only be 2 or 3 in the final anyway, so as long as they don't keep the deserving finalists out (and for me at this stage that is Matt, Pamela and Scott), I don't care if Ann lasts until the semi final
    Except that means moronic contestants like AW or Paul Daniels stay at the cost of those that do have an ability to improve all thanks to the barmy army of voters who want to keep Ann and Paul in for so called entertainment.
    The biggest flaw with the dance off was that Len had too much power if the vote was split,there should be no such thing as a leading judge.

Ideal solution is a 5 judge panel so the vote cant be tied.
    The dance off whilst far from perfect was more interesting than the lacklustre first result show we had that had absolutely no tension or excitement.

If its a choise between the current method or the dance off then I would go for the dance off all the way although like I said they need 5 judges ( or 3 ) and Len should have no more power than any of the others.

I am hugely dissapointed in the changes in format to the show,not sure I will keep on watching if it continues as it is.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    Yeah...lets bring back the dance off so that everyone can complain about it and demand it is removed.
    I would support that move. :)
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Without the dance off, the results show is screwed.

The dance off was only really a problem in the latter stages, when it had already done its job and then became a tool to give the judges too much say.

In the early stages, it can give a good dancer a chance to stay in - unless the public have been stupid enough (collectively) to leave two good dancers in the dance off..

The argument about the publics right to chose who goes would be stronger if everyone voted for every celeb except the one they wanted eliminated. I'm not going to vote for 13 out of 14, and I think most people are the same.
    The BBC of course could let you vote for one person you wanted eliminated, but that would generate less money.

The right way to use the dance off is to have it until the dancers have got down to a reasonable number - I would say five, and then remove it.

I would have five people reaching the semi-final and then eliminate two, so the results show wouldn't suffer.

I'd agree with a lot of this, especially keeping the dance off until the latter stages.

Voting to eliminate a celeb is too negative and Big Brother'ish for my liking.

I think the format & content of the results show needs a serious looking at regardless of no dance off. There is too much filler and padding in a 30 minute show and not enough pro dancing. Also the results spread across the show just kills the tension. This has made the show look poor & is perhaps a factor in why so many are calling for the return of the dance off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    I didn't like the dance off.

I mean the judges never judged it consistantly. One week they'd judge it basically on the dance off and other weeks because they thought the dancer had more promise. Then it upset people more because one week your being told that they are saving this dancer because they are better overall then that dancer but the next week they vote purely on the dance off even though overall maybe the dancer they vote off was technically better then the one saved on that one dance.

I know people get upset when the likes of Ann and all that go on and people like Goldie leave but later on we always end up with better dancers in the finals. Just because Ann stays one week doesn't mean she won't be gone next week. The problem you have is on this forum a lot of people know a lot about dance, but how many of the people who vote do. We all love the show because of the entertainment but also because we love the dancing, but I know people who vote purely because their kids liked the dress someone wore or because they did laugh at Ann, when you give the public a vote you can tell them to vote for the best dancer or who entertained them but its up to them what they spend their money on. The dance off annoyed a lot of my friends who loved the show but know nothing about dancing because the judges had their say and other then putting two people in the bottom so the judges got another say they felt their votes didn't count for too much and it just made them vote more for people like JS because they didn't want the judges favorites with no personality (thats a friends words not mine) drown out the show.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I'd agree with a lot of this, especially keeping the dance off until the latter stages.

Voting to eliminate a celeb is too negative and Big Brother'ish for my liking.

I think the format & content of the results show needs a serious looking at regardless of no dance off. There is too much filler and padding in a 30 minute show and not enough pro dancing. Also the results spread across the show just kills the tension. This has made the show look poor & is perhaps a factor in why so many are calling for the return of the dance off.
    We're not voting to eliminate, we're voting for who we want to keep in. In that respect there's no change from last year.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    We're not voting to eliminate, we're voting for who we want to keep in. In that respect there's no change from last year.

Yes I realise that. My comment was in response to fatskia's comment about BBC letting us vote for a celeb to be eliminated.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best solution is to keep the dance off for the early rounds so that the potentially good dancers are not eliminated. Then discard it when the two dance stage is reached.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I agree bring it back at least it gives the better of the bottom 2 the ability to surrvive