Options

using an existing SIM card in an ipad

Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
Forum Member
✭✭
Currently have a iphone 3GS. Next year intend to upgrade to iphone which will require the new apple micro SIM card. So far, so good.

Can you use an iphone 4 micro SIM card in an ipad 3G? That way, the ipad uses the data allowance included in your current provider's monthly tariff.

And you can adapt an existing regular SIM card to do the same with an ipad 3G ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about using a contract micro SIM in an iPad but there are two ways to get an existing SIM to work in a micro SIM slot.

Firstly you coud cut it down, there are cutters which do it or you can use some scissors. However, if you mess this up then you need to get a new SIM from your network.

Alternatively, some networks give you a free micro SIM and you can get your number transferred over to it. I know that o2 do this and the transfer can be completed online, not sure on the other networks.
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 got very tetchey when I used my sim in my old HTC and threatend to remove my data allowance apparantly my pay and go contract for data was only for an iPhone.
    the only reason I moved my sim was that the iPhone died on day 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony13579 wrote: »
    O2 got very tetchey when I used my sim in my old HTC and threatend to remove my data allowance apparantly my pay and go contract for data was only for an iPhone.

How did 02 threaten you ? What happened ?

I'm on monthly Vodafone who provide (for now) 1GB data allowance. I only use about 100-20MB per month on my iPhone. The rest of the allowance could be used on an iPad...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    How did 02 threaten you ? What happened ?

I'm on monthly Vodafone who provide (for now) 1GB data allowance. I only use about 100-20MB per month on my iPhone. The rest of the allowance could be used on an iPad...

Best to ask Vodafone. However, woulnd that mean taking the SIM out your phone and putting it in your iPad when you want to use the 3G on that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Best to ask Vodafone. However, woulnd that mean taking the SIM out your phone and putting it in your iPad when you want to use the 3G on that?

Good idea !

As I was typing up this thread, I realised that SIM in iPad means iphone out of use. Can't use both at the same time. In which case, might go for WiFi only version...
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received a number of texts from O2 stating they had detected a non iPhone that it was a breech of my contract etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end, looked at 02 Micro SIM mirco deals for the iPad. Reckon a daily pay-as-go rate is all I will need.

As I understand, you add credit to your SIM card and then pay £2 per day for each day you use the iPad for 3G (max 200MB). Is that right ?