Raspberry Pi - Released February 29th.

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Raspberry Pi ‏@Raspberry_Pi
    We believe Farnell has sold out already. Blimey.

Not bad since the damn site wouldnt even load once for me :mad:
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

This. :(
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

No nor me....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a deja vu for me, all this.
    Tried to buy a BBC Micro when they were launched in 1981, curiously also called the Model A and Model B.
    It arrived six months later.

http://www.mcmordie.co.uk/acornhistory/bbchist.shtml
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I'm really disappointed. Both sites finally up (sort of), but both just taking interest. Any idea why farnell have the raspi up at £26.55 and RS have it at £21.60?
  • kitanokitano Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    The latest retweet from Raspberry Pi (who themselves dont appear to know exactly whats going on and are just getting info from other people who are looking to buy them);
    @Raspberry_Pi Spoken to RS sales team. Not on sale until end of week.
    Retweeted by Raspberry Pi
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems to have been a bit of a clusterf**k really. the "deal" was posted on a couple of deal websites so it was inevitable that the demand would have been huge. apparently they were told to expect this but still didn't do anything about it.

i wonder how many people who managed to get one will be expecting a fully functioning PC out of the box ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raspberry Pi‏ @Raspberry_Pi
    We're amazed at the level of interest and sorry so many of you were frustrated today; if you preorder now, your Pi will be built to order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought this was funny ..
    @Raspberry_Pi Now I know why the sites were under load and all sold out. It is the sheep on @HotUKDeals http:/****/x34qp6 #RaspberryPi
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea why farnell have the raspi up at £26.55 and RS have it at £21.60?
    Pure guess but maybe vat or no vat?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All so obvious considering much of the world wanted one of those 10,000.
    They sacrificed some integrity for publicity. They should have lotterised them giving winners 24 hours to claim/buy.
    I guess they maybe did need a distribution network for support reasons though the low cost might have negated many needs.

On a positive note, holding to the prices is good going. I know the SOC costs less than $5 yet the connections are build must have took some doing.

Now if this takes off big time I'm half expecting MS and Apple to go directly after making Linux go underground.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you managed to get one of the two nominated supplier websites loaded and ordered a femtosecond after 6am, you had no chance of getting a Raspberry Pi.

Oh, and both retailers are credit card only. Only got a debit card like a VISA Electron? Jog on, neither accept it and you ain't ever getting a Raspberry Pi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jog on, neither accept it and you ain't ever getting a Raspberry Pi.

.. until about a month or so down the line when production levels increase to a point where anyone and everyone can get one if they want one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    All so obvious considering much of the world wanted one of those 10,000.
    They sacrificed some integrity for publicity. They should have lotterised them giving winners 24 hours to claim/buy.
    I agree. A stupid way to sell the first batch and so predictable that the site(s) wouldn't be able to cope with the demand. It does make you wonder if these companies do this on purpose for the publicity.

I've been quite interested in this device for a while but I was never going to buy one straight away. I'm going to wait until I see what it's capable of and how other people use it and get the most out of it and there are cases available for it etc.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the fact that the £16 version will contain 256MB of RAM like the £22 version. This was a good move and will ensure compatibility between both devices and avoid fragmentation.
  • dustjunkiedustjunkie Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I thought that the mailing list was the way they were going to distribute these, not through third party sellers.
    Signed up ages ago as I thought I would be in with a chance.
    Guess I will just have to wait and wait then:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ebay seller has apparently sent out a grovelling "apology" saying that the buyer has not "honoured their order" and has now started refunding and cancelling orders. he's already been hit by two negative feedbacks and probably more to come.

Apparently people have been getting this ..
    We are so very sorry, we had a delivery from our supplier this morning thinking it was the Rasberry PI’s from RS we order the warehouse boy shouted “they were in” we listed the Raspberry PI but when we checked the pallet it was not them, we have spoken to eBay directly are we are refunding all customers.

Please accept our refund and apologies, our supplier has not honoured our order placed in January for delivery today and as such are unable to supply your goods, we will send you a request to cancel through eBay please complete this. Once again we are so very sorry for this. We are refunding everyone until we resolve the problem.

We know this is and looks very bad, but please understand we had 100% feedback before this mess, please be kind.

I love how the warehouse boy is getting the blame :D
  • dustjunkiedustjunkie Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Re above
    These were on a one per person order so there was never any chance of them having the amount they expected!!!
  • RogRog Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just managed to place a firm accepted order with acknowledgement from Farnell - Awaiting Stock - 30 days! Oh well, at least I will get one eventually.

I want to run XBMC media center on it and keep it in the cupboard under the TV for live streaming football and cricket.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dustjunkie wrote: »
    I thought that the mailing list was the way they were going to distribute these, not through third party sellers.
    Signed up ages ago as I thought I would be in with a chance.
    Guess I will just have to wait and wait then:yawn:
    Me too. So I've unsubscribed today in protest. That'll learn em. :mad::D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what the problem with a company not meeting demand at launch is. It's much better than way over estimating it and going bust left with loads of unwanted stock.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rog wrote: »
    Just managed to place a firm accepted order with acknowledgement from Farnell - Awaiting Stock - 30 days! Oh well, at least I will get one eventually.

I want to run XBMC media center on it and keep it in the cupboard under the TV for live streaming football and cricket.

I've seen a video of it running XBMC and it does look good :)
  • RogRog Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I've seen a video of it running XBMC and it does look good :)

And to think I was considering an Intel based micro pc for the same job. Would have cost much more:)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone one wanting something similar but not so versatile can buy the Disgo 7000 at play.com in their leap-day sale.
    Twice the price, not for games or as development versatile, but it does have HDMI and 512MB RAM.