Top 40 singles that never made an album

scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I noticed today how Katy B's 'comeback' single 'What Love Is Made Of' is not featured on her new album, Little Red, not even as a bonus track. Wise move, because it's shit and was a total let down flop of a song.

That got me thinking of other examples of singles that have made the Top 40 but never actually featured on an upcoming album.

I don't mean songs from artists who have never had an album (Misha B, Amelia Lily for example - three top 40 hits each but neither have ever released an album), or songs that were clearly never intended for an album (for example, One Way Or Another by One Direction was #1 but was a charity single and therefore not intended for an album).

I can think of a couple more for now:

Diana Vickers - My Wicked Heart
Got to #13 and I believe it was intended for her second album? Anyway, it never made the album.

Stooshe - Waterfalls
Went Top 20 but soon faded from everyone's memories, as Stooshe said themselves they want to pretend it never happened. It was originally intended for the album as it features on the leaked version of Stooshe's album, but never made the official final cut.

Any more that you can think of?

Comments

• x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arctic Monkeys - Come Together

Reached #21 in the UK Top 40 and was performed at The Olympic opening ceremony. It didn't feature on their latest album 'AM', even though 'R U Mine' is featured on there despite being released several months before 'Come Together'.

Paramore - Monster
    Reached #21 in the UK Top 40 and was released as the soundtrack to Transformers: Dark Of The Moon. It didn't feature on their 4th self titled album released last year.

Travis - Coming Around

Released in June 2000 and reached #5 in the UK Top 40. Coming Around was released as a standalone single not featured on their album 'The Man Who', but did feature on their 2004 Singles album.

Muse - Neutron Star Collision

Released in 2010 and is the soundtrack to 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'. Reached #11 in the UK Top 40, but did feature on the Twilight soundtrack album, but not a Muse album.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are allowing songs from film soundtracks, these two come to my mind -

Simple Minds, Don't You Forget About Me

Bruce Springsteen, Streets Of Philadelphia

Both eventually surfaced on greatest hits-type compilations.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popscene by Blur
    Stay Together by Suede
    Whatever by Oasis.

They eventually ended up on compilations but they don't count as albums really.
  • jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Prodigy - "Baby's Got A Temper", #5 in 2002, didn't appear on their subsequent album nor on their Singles compilation a few years later.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly all of the big hits of the 60s were not on studio albums. Two of the most famous are Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane not on Sgt Pepper and George Martin later regretted this.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avicii - I Could Be The One (#1)
    Avicii - Seek Bromance (#13)
    Avicii - Levels (#4)
    Avicii - Silhouettes (#22)
    Leona Lewis & Avicii - Collide (#4)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will.i.am - T.H.E. #3
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    3 - Britney Spears
    Was only ever on the Singles Collection she released in late 2009, but I don't count that as a studio album. It's more a compilation.

Headphones - Little Boots
    Was left off Nocturnes for some reason and I noticed recently it was deleted from iTunes.

Just Can't Get Enough - The Saturdays
    It was for Comic Relief back in 2009 but wasn't meant for an album. They did reissue Chasing Lights to include that song, but I don't know if that really counts. It didn't appear on the original album released in October 2008.
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arctic Monkeys - Leave Before The Lights Come On

- I think it was a top 10 hit in 2006/7. Was their fourth single but wasn't featured on any of their albums.

Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child O Mine
    Sheryl Crow - Tomorrow Never Dies
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go here to listen to "Since You Brought It Up" from my most favorite singer James Otto which was not placed on his last album named Shake What God Gave Ya!

God bless you and him always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. Sadly the song peaked at #37. To me, it should have gone all the way because it was just as good as everything else on the radio when it got released in 2009 if not more.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud vs Sugababes - Walk This Way
    Hit the top of the charts back in 2007 for Comic Relief but was never featured on either bands albums.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of songs from the 60's that were released as singles and were not on albums. ]

Substitute by The Who - is an example.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Gambler' - Madonna

No.4 hit but never released on one of her albums, not even compilations.
    It was on the 'Vision Quest' Soundtrack album though.

I've still got a copy on 7" Vinyl.
  • ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix never added 'Cannonball' to their debut despite it going to number 1. Quite understandable though.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member

Substitute by The Who - is an example.

I didn't know that :)
    Arctic Monkeys - Leave Before The Lights Come On

- I think it was a top 10 hit in 2006/7. Was their fourth single but wasn't featured on any of their albums.

I bought all of their albums fairly recently and was surprised to see that this song wasn't on any of them before finding out that it was on an EP released between "Whatever People Say...." and "Favourite Worst Nightmare"
    x+y wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys - Come Together

Reached #21 in the UK Top 40 and was performed at The Olympic opening ceremony. It didn't feature on their latest album 'AM', even though 'R U Mine' is featured on there despite being released several months before 'Come Together'.

Paramore - Monster
    Reached #21 in the UK Top 40 and was released as the soundtrack to Transformers: Dark Of The Moon. It didn't feature on their 4th self titled album released last year.

Travis - Coming Around

Released in June 2000 and reached #5 in the UK Top 40. Coming Around was released as a standalone single not featured on their album 'The Man Who', but did feature on their 2004 Singles album.

Muse - Neutron Star Collision

Released in 2010 and is the soundtrack to 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'. Reached #11 in the UK Top 40, but did feature on the Twilight soundtrack album, but not a Muse album.

I really liked Arctic Monkeys version of "Come Together" but I'm not surprised that it wasn't featured on an album seeing as it's not their song. I think that it was only meant for the Olympics.

Paramore released an EP called "The Singles Club" between "Brand New Eyes" and "Paramore" which "Monster" featured on. :) they said that they would not be putting "Monster" on to the new album because they wanted to let the anger go, and that song is pretty angry.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dire Straits - Twisting by the Pool

Happy Mondays - Hallelujah

Metallica - I Disappear
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Going back to the 70s - Virginia Plain & Pyjamarama, both by Roxy Music. Each released alongside but not on an album.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly the first version of The Stone Roses debut album did not include 'Fools Gold' but it was subsequently added.

I preferred 'I Am The Resurrection' as the album closer
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    One Directions cover of One Way Or Another never made it onto an album, but obviously it was a charity single so that may be why (not that it's stopped people in the past)
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    will.i.am - The Hardest Ever (terrible title!) didn't make #willpower (another terrible title!) which was a shame because I think it's brilliant!

I'd also say Kylie's Timebomb, which was released just before her 193rd Hits collection but wasn't actually on it. It might be on her next album but i'll be very suprised as it'll be nearly two years old as was really just a gift for the fans. I loved it though - possibly her best single since Red Blooded Women.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever ~ Oasis

Stacks of stuff by Joy Division and New Order
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly every Smiths single was a stand alone release. In recent years stuff like This Charming Man and How Soon Is Now? have been added onto their studio albums but they weren't originally present on them
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit me with your Rhythm stick (1)
    Reasons to be cheerful

This Charming Man
    Shakespeares sister
    Shoplifters of the world
    Sheila take a bow
    Panic
    Ask
  • lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna- Beautiful stranger (not including greatest hits releases)

There are probably loads of movie soundtrack songs and charity releases that haven't appeared on studio albums. Plus singles that lead GH albums (for example 3- Britney, something kinda ooh- girls aloud) that would have only appeared on GH albums rather than studio albums.
  • jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Busta Rhymes feat. Linkin Park - "We Made It", a #10 hit in 2008