How is this possible?

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30424470

So, this car was stolen in Scotland, and found in London.

On the assumption it was driven all the way there (as a couple of sightings would suggest), how the hell did this thing not get caught by either ANPR, or by chance was just spotted by a routine patrol?

I'm just dumbfounded really. You'd think that if any one of us stole a car - or even forgot to renew the insurance, for example, we wouldn't be on the road 5 minutes before being flagged by an ANPR camera or stopped by a patrol car.

In this day and age, how can you do 450 miles in a (distinctive) stolen car and not get caught in the act?

Where are the the routine patrols by motorway cops? I thought this was why they'd spent so much money covering the country with ANPR? :confused:

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You can buy an aerosol spray to cover the plates so as to avoid ANPR and also speed cameras.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy an aerosol spray to cover the plates so as to avoid ANPR and also speed cameras.

Hence routine patrols as well though? It's a distinctive car. If ANPR failed to spot it, then an officer parked up at the road-side, or even cruising down the motorway themselves should have spotted it, surely?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Hence routine patrols as well though? It's a distinctive car. If ANPR failed to spot it, then an officer parked up at the road-side, or even cruising down the motorway themselves should have spotted it, surely?
    I've often driven hundreds of miles without seeing a police vehicle.
    It happens.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Surely yes but who knows how and why they didn't.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often driven hundreds of miles without seeing a police vehicle.
    It happens.

Unmarked?

I dunno, maybe it's just a lot easier to serious commit crime than I've been led to believe :p
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Unmarked?

I dunno, maybe it's just a lot easier to serious commit crime than I've been led to believe :p

It is. You've answered your own question.

The police simply haven't got enough personnel and resources to cover everything straight away. They'll probably catch up with them at a later date, after investigation has taken place and evidence analysed.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Police in Scotland had alerted forces across the UK to look out for the purple Nissan Skyline, which had the registration N40 SKY"

i seemed to have solved that particular problem :D
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Des[ite what some people would have you believe, there isn't blanket camera coverage over the entire country waiting to catch people out.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we don't know from the report is when it was reported stolen, break-in apparently happened in the morning, so it could have been the early evening before the owner/occupiers became aware. It was picked up by ANPR in the North West in the early afternoon but might not have been known to have been stolen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hundreds of cars are stolen every day, it's not surprising that a few of them will slip through the net.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rare car that was stolen during a break-in at a house in which jewellery and cash worth more than £150,000 was also taken has been found in London.
    It was taken after a theft at a house in Livingston on Wednesday morning.
    Officers said they believed the car was immediately driven south and had been investigating reports of it being seen on the M6 in north west England in the early afternoon.

Police Scotland confirmed on Thursday evening that the car had been found in London with the assistance of the Metropolitan Police.

Not just the car nicked, if the house was burgled also that might suggest that the house was empty at the time.

According to the AA you could drive from Livingston to London in just over 7 hours.
    Evo102 wrote: »
    . It was picked up by ANPR in the North West in the early afternoon but might not have been known to have been stolen.

Indeed. It may have been spotted but until it was reported as stolen then it would probably have been ignored.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quite easy, just pop it on one of those recovery trucks with perhaps some trade plates over the real ones and job done or just stick a tarp over it so no-ones going to know if its a 47k car or a 200 quid old sierra going to the scrappers

Probably it would of been containered and shipped to somewhere like cyprus and that would of been the last of it other than everyones insurance going up to cover the payout by probably 5p
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In/on a truck covered in a tarpaulin?
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can you really? Where do you get it from? :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    You can waste your money on an aerosol spray to cover the plates so as to allegedly avoid ANPR and also speed cameras, and been proven many times not to do a damn thing.

Corrected that for you.... :D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    According to the AA you could drive from Livingston to London in just over 7 hours.

Easily done. I've done it in 5 hrs 55mins (Livingston to Kings Cross) (and not gone over 80mph)
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    Hundreds of cars are stolen every day, it's not surprising that a few of them will slip through the net.

I have had two that slipped through the net, one was found bashed up a few days later, the other one we were told was probably nicked to order and never came back.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it might have been worth more if it was a rare car.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They selected 'incognito' on their satnav.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

No you can't. They don't work.
    Unless, of course, you're talking about using a can of black spray paint to obscure the registration entirely... which'd be likely to draw attention to the vehicle.

Simple fact is that you've only got to look at the amount of uninsured/untaxed vehicles out there to see that the whole malarkey with ANPR and CCTV is over-rated.

Far be it from me to give criminals ideas but it seems like all you'd need to do would be to steal, say, a black BMW and then have a look on the autotrader website, find a car of a similar model and colour which shows a picture of the number plate and then have a pair of plates made with that reg and bung them on your stolen vehicle with sticky-pads and you'd probably never get noticed.