Options

Morrisons

2»

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is quite likely over the next decade. There's at least one too many big supermarket chains, so something's got to give. Either Morrisons will be swallowed up by Asda, who'll then lease or sell some branches to other supermarkets to keep regulators happy, or they'll just throw in the towel and retreat back to Yorkshire, hoping they'll be able to resume the good old days of being a local supermarket for local people.

Our morrisons store was originally an ASDA, they didn't do very well here so sold off their stores.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I think this is quite likely over the next decade. There's at least one too many big supermarket chains, so something's got to give. Either Morrisons will be swallowed up by Asda, who'll then lease or sell some branches to other supermarkets to keep regulators happy, or they'll just throw in the towel and retreat back to Yorkshire, hoping they'll be able to resume the good old days of being a local supermarket for local people.

The Co-Operative are already making a retreat by moving away from the large store format and focusing on smaller convenience stores. I don't know how many superstore sized branches The Co-Operative have but never enough to really compete with the Big 4 on price or range.

I think you're right in saying there's one too many big supermarket chains. Tesco, although they're faring badly at the moment, won't do it as they are still massive and very profitable even with their latest profit warning, ASDA do really well with the market they have, and Sainsbury's has been recovering pretty well since hitting the skids in the early 2000s. Leaving Morrisons who have struggled pretty much ever since they took over Safeway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Not really keen on shopping at Morrisons tbh
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferred Safeway, Morrisons took over and took us back in time 30 years. They got rid of the cooked Pizza counter that was really popular and replaced it with a Pie Shop.

Safeway were one of the first to have electronic price tickets but Morrisons ripped all that out, our store was also due to get scan as you shop but Morrisons put a stop to that when they took over.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not noticed any changes in the store.

They are starting to look a bit desperate for market share. They recently gave me a card which tots ups price differences and then hands me a voucher when the amount reaches £5.
    But they have also sent me 2 x £5 off a £40 spend coupons in the post...

I can only speak for my local Morrisons but it is fairly clear from the Car Park alone that the brand new Asda (right opposite) has hit them hard.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Leamington Spa store was brand new and opened last year. I loved the layout and general store feel. Now I've moved to Stratford Upon Avon I really don't like their store as much. I don't like the fact that some of the chill items (salad, ready meals, deli) is separated from the other chilled items, it just don't flow as well as Leamington does.

Having said that most of the shopping I do from there is online so I don't need to worry so much
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    They recently gave me a card which tots ups price differences and then hands me a voucher when the amount reaches £5.

They've been pushing that like mad, and it seems to be aimed mainly at Aldi and Lidl.

Lidl immediately responded with this newspaper advert.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    They've been pushing that like mad, and it seems to be aimed mainly at Aldi and Lidl.

Lidl immediately responded with this newspaper advert.

Heh, love it.

They've got an ad company with a sense of humour.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else seen their local branch of Morrisons have an upgrade recently, with everything being moved around and completely different shelves, freezers, tills and counters installed?
    Our local had a massive move around and new ceiling lighting installed several months ago. I personally hate it.

Before, the aisles were split in two, with a centre aisle that you could walk up/down and see right to the end of the units either side of you. Now, it's just long units that you have to walk right around, and you can't see what's at the other end.

As for the new lighting, it's too strong in places and makes me dizzy as hell. The back of the shop is a no-go area for me, purely for this reason.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    The only Morrisons upgrade I was aware of happened around 18 months ago when parts of their fresh veg section has displays with steam pouring out and some weird looking vegetables I've never seen before.

They should upgrade their self checkouts and their loyalty card is far too complicated, just keep prices low, simples
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    The only Morrisons upgrade I was aware of happened around 18 months ago when parts of their fresh veg section has displays with steam pouring out and some weird looking vegetables I've never seen before.

They should upgrade their self checkouts and their loyalty card is far too complicated, just keep prices low, simples

Complicated? And it involves you doing what exactly - hand it over or scan it.... Complicated????
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Complicated????

Yes, complicated.

Just lower the prices so people leave with more money in their pockets to spend however they like. As Aldi and Lidl do.