Planning a staff party then make sure you do it the Brighton NHS way

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/work-and-learn/equality-diversity-and-human-rights/resources/equality-bulletin/?assetdet8418378=510435

With all the health & safety and equality you have to go through it might be better to plan next year's as you won't have time to plan it for this year.;-)

(I know the link is December 2013 but it has been used again this year as a guide for staff).

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time you've sorted all that crap out and ensured everyones sorted it will take a full year of planning to ensure you don't get sued for some small infraction, better off saying i'm gonna give 20 quid to the local cats home and see you in the new year
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the NHS is as short of money as it says why is someone being paid to do this? Equally if this has to be done why not do it centrally for all NHS units everywhere?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that OP, given me a bit of a laugh, and will forward to people who will enjoy having a chuckle at it.

I'm so glad I don't, and will never, work in the public sector.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the NHS is as short of money as it says why is someone being paid to do this? Equally if this has to be done why not do it centrally for all NHS units everywhere?
    Government reorganisations to make parts independent
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    delete
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Thanks for that OP, given me a bit of a laugh, and will forward to people who will enjoy having a chuckle at it.

Not sure which bit is funny, seems sensible to me. In my experience, people often don't make events or work processes inclusive enough. Getting IT people to think about anyone with visual impairments can be hard. A few years ago, we all had to be right handed for a short while when using a pc, as they hadn't thought about left handed people.
    I went to a private sector function last year and in a group of 100 they didn't cater for vegetarians as they didn't order food in in the last week, so the bit "You also need to cater to the needs of everyone attending the event to avoid discrimination." has some relevance.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who can't or won't download the PDF, here's the ridiculous guidelines:
    Planning to have a work or Christmas party or event?
    It is important to have a good time over the festive period but there are some things you need to be aware of in advance.

1. Is attendance to the party/event compulsory?
    Remember:
    • not all staff celebrate Christmas
    • the date of the party may clash with non Christian religious festivals
    • there could be the potential for claims of sex discrimination. Statistically more women
    having caring responsibilities than men, how would you ensure that those with caring
    responsibilities are not excluded from the festivities?

2. Inviting People
    Think about your team in the wider sense, do not forget to invite employees who are currently on maternity/paternity leave. Ensure also that fixed term, part time staff and agency workers are included in invitations. All employees have the right to equal treatment.

3. Age
    Do you have any under 18’s in your department?
    If the venue is on licensed premises, there is the potential for age discrimination, think about how this difficulty could be overcome. If there is no age restriction on the venue, remind under 18’s that they should not be drinking alcohol.

etc
    etc

I remember the days when the staff Xmas do used to be a fun night out :(
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who can't or won't download the PDF, here's the ridiculous guidelines:

And me :D did you watch the office xmas party on ITV2 last night? Ours used to be like that only ruder.... :blush:
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What?? Make a whole tier of management redundant simply for the sake of logic?? Never heard the like :D
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Not sure which bit is funny, seems sensible to me.

Reads like institutional fear and paranoia about being sued at the drop of a hat from spurious discrimination claims to me.
  • kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, all seems sensible to me.

It's basically a checklist of things that you should take into consideration whilst planning a staff Xmas party - what's wrong with that?
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevraff wrote: »

It's basically a checklist of things that you should take into consideration whilst planning a staff Xmas party - what's wrong with that?

Exactly, it's just following unwritten rules that they have written down.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Exactly, it's just following unwritten rules that they have written down.

That's what I find so funny. It's pretty much common sense and common courtesy but written down it sounds so fun suckingly poker up the arse-y.

And all dressed up with a jaunty Santa hat on the text to indicate that it's all in the name of fun. Safe, non-prejudiced, incloooosive fun. :D

Taking into consideration wimmin with care responsibilities? Jaysus, where we're from you can either make it to the do or you cannae.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every time I see threads like this I'm reminded of Noel's HQ.

Something about rules and regulations that makes people's blood boil for some reason.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not so much the sentiment of the "rules" but the "PC correct" language they're couched in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't imagine why a couple of people are pretending that compiling this quite ordinary list would have required a whole member of staff. It looks very common-and-garden to me, and presumably at some stage in the last 10 years it took someone a good hour to put it together.

As a matter of fact, it is reasonable and sensible for a large employer to make sure a Christmas party is open to those who are underage or religiously unable to go into a bar. I once did go to a party where there was a Seventh Day Adventist, who had to sit outside (which he did with no fuss at all) for the duration.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member

I work in the NHS and I can assure you we do enjoy ourselves. Our Christmas do on Friday was fantastic fun!

This carp is way over the top!:D
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    I work in the NHS and I can assure you we do enjoy ourselves. Our Christmas do on Friday was fantastic fun!

This carp is way over the top!:D

In 15 years in Civil Service we only had one office party unfortunately it ended up with the files being thrown around and beer being poured over the computers, after this the parties were never in the office again and moved to the pub after that.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I work in the public sector and we do not have any crap like that I am glad to say. It is ludicrous
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You missed out the interpreters section.

😄
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine why a couple of people are pretending that compiling this quite ordinary list would have required a whole member of staff. It looks very common-and-garden to me, and presumably at some stage in the last 10 years it took someone a good hour to put it together.

As a matter of fact, it is reasonable and sensible for a large employer to make sure a Christmas party is open to those who are underage or religiously unable to go into a bar. I once did go to a party where there was a Seventh Day Adventist, who had to sit outside (which he did with no fuss at all) for the duration.

Sorry but no, every employer has bastards who no one likes and regardless of religion or any other BS the majority overrule what the minority want, if they can't go into a bar and get lashed at the works Crimbo do then what's the point of inviting them?

If the Crimbo party occurs on a day that some religion feels is sacrosanct then sorry but getting pished and coping off is much more important than religious BS, religion has no part to play at Crimbo it's all about the booze, sex and getting your brains shagged out.

Give it a try Wonkey.😄
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes you wonder how doctors and nurses ever manage to carry out such complex health care when managers think they have to be told how to arrange a night out .
    They can transplant your heart but can't organise a p@ss up in a brewery eh ? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes you wonder how doctors and nurses ever manage to carry out such complex health care when managers think they have to be told how to arrange a night out .
    They can transplant your heart but can't organise a p@ss up in a brewery eh ? ;-)

Cull the NHS management and have a functioning NHS
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The equality and diversity team are unlikeLy to be the mangers of the staff, they are usually a team that may work alongside HR
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The equality and diversity team are unlikeLy to be the mangers of the staff, they are usually a team that may work alongside HR

To clinical staff, anyone telling them how to organise a Christmas do is classed as a 'manager' whether that is their official title or not I'm afraid. I can assure you it will have been taken that way.