How do you watch movies?

2»

Comments

• KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Used to go to the movies several times a week, but the rise of mobile phones and the sheer level of ignorance has all but ruined that for me.

I cannot stand IMAX movies and I think 3D is a rubbish gimmick - I avoid both where possible.

Being a journalist, the only saving grace is that I get to see lots of previews, which are almost always fantastic as there's no morons sitting behind me on their phones or chatting through the movie.

These days, I far prefer to watch a movie in private on my widescreen on blu ray. It's a tragic shame that cinema has been spoiled so badly, but it's just a sad sad sign of the times.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Are you a die hard cinemagoer (if so, 2D, 3D or IMAX?) or do you prefer to sit down with a DVD or Blu-ray at home?

If the cinema was perfect and no morons spoiling it, I would see every film at the cinema, and only in 2D or IMAX. 3D is an annoying trend that I can't stand, usually I wouldn't moan but when a cinema doesn't give you the choice of 2D also, it's a horrible trend and this has happened a few times. However, most of my film viewing is on blu-ray at home.

Do you watch online? If so, is LoveFilm, Netflix or iTunes your go-to destination, or do you stream illegally or use torrents?

I don't watch films online but I do use an online service to rent films out, I use Blockbusters as it's cheaper and more choice online compared to the actual Blockbusters on the street.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever go to the movies anymore. I'll pay to see a big visual spectacle (and get let down - Prometheus...), but i prefer to watch indie movies at home, as sometimes they're more contemplative and so I can rewind if I feel I'm missing something (ie: Mulholland Drive).

I prefer alot of tv to cinema going frankly: Damages, Flight Of The Conchords, Game Of Thrones HBO can do no wrong! Production values are amazing and the actors have more to say than "OmiGod! Run!!" etc...
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I hardly ever go to the movies anymore. I'll pay to see a big visual spectacle (and get let down - Prometheus...), but i prefer to watch indie movies at home, as sometimes they're more contemplative and so I can rewind if I feel I'm missing something (ie: Mulholland Drive).

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time Mulholland Drive is a film i'd almost kill to see in the cinema. Any David Lynch actually, I think he's particularly suited to the big screen (and sound).
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finkly wrote: »
    I kind of agree with this, but at the same time Mulholland Drive is a film i'd almost kill to see in the cinema. Any David Lynch actually, I think he's particularly suited to the big screen (and sound).

Its a bit shameful really isn't it?! Lynch deserves the ticket sales more!:o You're utterly right!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to stick to a DVD or Blu Ray for me.It is the idea of home comforts that appeals to me.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I download and then watch, usually on a Sunday. Surround sound at the level I want.
    A glass of red wine in hand. No noisy neighbours. No popcorn munching kids.
    Pause. Play. Pause. Play.
    And cheaper too.
    And if the film is not up to expectations. Stop and Delete. :)

PS....is an afternoon cinema experience as good as it used to be?