Options

Butter that really is spreadable straight from the fridge?

WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm fed up of getting the butter out the fridge and it's like a block of concrete. I think the last one I had was actually Anchor Spreadable which certainly wasn't. So any suggestions ?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always found Lurpak Spreadable to be spreadable from the fridge
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Kerrygold used to make real Softer Butter now they mix it with Olive Oil. Its perfectly OK as is Anchor but its not butter IMO :( The closest I found is M&S softer butter which really is.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Butter should be kept in the fridge but a daily amount should be kept in a butter dish at room temperature. There was an expert on the radio a while ago that said this.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Kerrygold softer butter is still 100% butter according to their website. Though I rarely find it where I shop.

http://www.kerrygold.co.uk/home/products/#product-kerrygold-softer-butter

I usually get the Lurpak spreadable, it isn't ideal but is okay.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As another poster has said and what I do.

I cut a chunk off and store it in a butter dish :) works fine and I have nice spreadable butter (unless the kitchen is REALLY cold)

Rather have butter that way than butter that been mixed with oils, oversalted or mega-churned too death.
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The butter dish idea sounds like a good one - I'll give it a try as I have found butter to be tastier that the spreads, margarines.
    Thanks all for the replies
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    diablo wrote: »
    Kerrygold softer butter is still 100% butter according to their website. Though I rarely find it where I shop.

http://www.kerrygold.co.uk/home/products/#product-kerrygold-softer-butter

I usually get the Lurpak spreadable, it isn't ideal but is okay.

Cheers, might have to check my local Morrisons. I know a while ago they stopped selling Softer Butter and replaced it with Spreadable where I shopped.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you find that your butter is spreadable straight from the frige then it means only one thing..........

you've had a power cut!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Butter should be kept in the fridge but a daily amount should be kept in a butter dish at room temperature. There was an expert on the radio a while ago that said this.

Any reason why you cant slice off as much as you need from the solid butter brick and gently nuke it in the micro until its spreadable?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Any reason why you cant slice off as much as you need from the solid butter brick and gently nuke it in the micro until its spreadable?

Nope, I do that as well when I forget to take a lump from the fridge. (I use those little glass dessert dishes you get from those Gu puds, they are brill as mini butter dishes)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No butter is spreadable from the fridge.
  • Options
    sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    No butter is spreadable from the fridge.

Flora buttery is :):)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Lurpak and Country Life work well from the refrigerator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sharon7 wrote: »
    Flora buttery is :):)

That's not actually butter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not from my fridge they don't! :D
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

An "expert" eh? :cool:
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats about right, I tend to keep around 100g of butter in a butter dish and the rest in the fridge.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use an insulated butter dish on the worktop, keeps the butter nice and spreadable but firm enough even in quite hot weather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they do then there is something wrong with your fridge. I can leave butter out on the table in this weather and it still solid,

Butter by it's very nature will not be soft in a fridge, if it is then it is not butter.

Why do people pay so much for Lurpack? i had some a couple of weeks back it was on offer, but it was not that nice.

at the moment I am buying my butter from Aldi, 98p each and it is pretty good, but if I want great butter, then I buy some from out local butter market :) Not that they sell much better there these days, it is full of different stalls, but it called the butter market because many years ago it sold just dairy products.

Anyway the butter i get from there is a farmhouse butter made at a local farm, cost £1.60 mind you, but oh so nice.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An "expert" eh? :cool:

Yes, it was on Woman's Hour and they were talking to a woman from The Dairy Council. Why would you doubt it?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    That's not actually butter.

Correct. No 'proper' butter is spreadable from the fridge, anything that is is probably oil based.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    If they do then there is something wrong with your fridge. I can leave butter out on the table in this weather and it still solid,

Butter by it's very nature will not be soft in a fridge, if it is then it is not butter.

Why do people pay so much for Lurpack? i had some a couple of weeks back it was on offer, but it was not that nice.

at the moment I am buying my butter from Aldi, 98p each and it is pretty good, but if I want great butter, then I buy some from out local butter market :) Not that they sell much better there these days, it is full of different stalls, but it called the butter market because many years ago it sold just dairy products.

Anyway the butter i get from there is a farmhouse butter made at a local farm, cost £1.60 mind you, but oh so nice.

I've even made my own using double cream and my mixer when I ran out over xmas :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    I've even made my own using double cream and my mixer when I ran out over xmas :D

Easy, but maybe more expensive.in the long run. but so nice.
    I buy 6 packets in one go, saves me bothering to pop into aldis again for a while, even if I do past it going home from work.

i don't think butter is like it used to be, I have no idea what they do to it.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If you find that your butter is spreadable straight from the frige then it means only one thing..........

you've had a power cut!

:D:D:D:D:D:D