UKIP and PR

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
The beauty of PR in the Euro elections is that a vote for UKIP is NOT a wasted vote. TRoll on Thursday.

No wonder "they" don't want a PR democracy electing MPs for Westminster.

Comments

• SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same is true of Green.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It's interesting how all three of the major parties want closer integration with Europe, but don't want to adopt their system of PR. Funny that.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how all three of the major parties want closer integration with Europe, but don't want to adopt their system of PR. Funny that.

Well said. Its because they dont trust the people...
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry I thought this was a public relations thread. :D

I was going to say, yes they could do with some.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair the Lib Dems do want PR though in 2015 I doubt it would do for them what they would like it to.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beauty of PR in the Euro elections is that a vote for UKIP is NOT a wasted vote.

But folk whinge when the likes of the BNP might win a seat, use the presence of such people against you when you find yourself having to do deals with them in office....

The cons outweigh the pros afaic hence why I'm no fan of PR.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All three? The Lib Dems have been banging on about wanting PR for as long as there's been a Lib Dems.
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    To be fair the Lib Dems do want PR though in 2015 I doubt it would do for them what they would like it to.
    At their current polling rates PR would see the Lib Dems win roughly the same amount of seats they hold now. Under FPTP they'll lose at least half of them.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The beauty of PR in the Euro elections is that a vote for UKIP is NOT a wasted vote. TRoll on Thursday.

Great for the BNP too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry I thought this was a public relations thread. :D

I was going to say, yes they could do with some.

Ditto :)
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Great for the BNP too.
    The BNP are dead and gone. Thursday will see both their MEPs lose their seats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    All three? The Lib Dems have been banging on about wanting PR for as long as there's been a Lib Dems.

At their current polling rates PR would see them win roughly the same amount of seats they hold now. Under FPTP they'll lose at least half of them.

Then their supporters crucify them for going into coalition with what they perceive as "the wrong people" despite them winning the most seats and popular vote...

... irony does make me smile at times.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are you talking about? The Lib Dem's have been calling for PR for years, it's one of their main points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At their current polling rates PR would see the Lib Dems win roughly the same amount of seats they hold now. Under FPTP they'll lose at least half of them.

Good.
    Forum Member
    The BNP are dead and gone. Thursday will see both their MEPs lose their seats.

I know.

If we had a PR system they would have MPs though. right now.

I'm just pointing out that you can't argue how great it would be for say the greens without accepting that it would be just as good for any other lunatic party.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

Fair enough, although you've just highlighted the problem in a nutshell. The current system benefits Labour and Conservative, but disadvantages the Lib Dems. I wonder how the Liberals would feel about PR when they realise UKIP's and other parties pollings are stronger than theirs however...
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"They" gave you a referendum on PR in 2011, and "we" said no 2:1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011

A bit of a pointless thread if you can't remember back 3 years.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, although you've just highlighted the problem in a nutshell. The current system benefits Labour and Conservative, but disadvantages the Lib Dems. I wonder how the Liberals would feel about PR when they realise UKIP's and other parties pollings are stronger than theirs however...

I doubt they'd be very surprised. Lib Dems were the protest vote party. Now they're in power, the protest vote goes elsewhere.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot about that. But AV is not PR. It still keeps minorities down.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Good.

Not good for democracy.
    Forum Member
    I forgot about that. But AV is not PR. It still keeps minorities down.

the result of the referendum on AV is, rightly or wrongly, interpreted as a complete lack of appetite for any change to the voting system.

I don't think you'll find many people that think had the referendum been for PR rather than AV the result would have been any different.

it is therefore with some irony that people advocate PR as being 'more democratic'.
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Not good for democracy.

How's that then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Not good for democracy.

Those pesky voters, democracy would be much better off without them.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    How's that then?

Lib Dems and other minor parties not getting fair representation in Parliament = bad for democracy.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    But folk whinge when the likes of the BNP might win a seat, use the presence of such people against you when you find yourself having to do deals with them in office....
    The Green Party currently have a single seat, perhaps you could enlighten us all as to the deals that the government has had to do with Caroline Lucas and how many times she has held the balance of power in parliament?
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »

The cons outweigh the pros afaic hence why I'm no fan of PR.

The fact that parties you don't like would get MPs is no argument against PR. Hope that's not your only reason!