Options

8 Out of 10 Cats - Series 18, C4 Mondays 10pm

2»

Comments

• Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit annoying that they moved the show to a Tuesday for one week only, especially for what sounds like yet another immigration/Broken Britain type program (Make Leicester British). They should have had it on Tuesdays for the whole series if they knew Make Leicester British was going to disrupt its run on Mondays.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't know why Alex Jones goes on this show. She obviously wants people to see that she is easy going and can have a laugh at herself but many think she's as think as shit anyway and opening up on this show proves that even more.

Jamelia is the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him but there seemed to be awkwardness between the ginger guy on Sean's team and the rest of the panel. His jokes didn't get much of a reaction from the audience so maybe that rubbed off on the panel but I felt sorry for him.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him but there seemed to be awkwardness between the ginger guy on Sean's team and the rest of the panel. His jokes didn't get much of a reaction from the audience so maybe that rubbed off on the panel but I felt sorry for him.

One of his "gags" was met with TOTAL silence. Even tumbleweed couldn`t be arsed to blow through.....
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I thought the last couple of episodes were great. If by "the ginger one" people mean James Acaster, I didn't see any problems. He's not the funniest comedian around, but neither is he particularly terrible.

Tom Rosenthal on the other hand (from a few weeks ago) was very weird. I've only ever seen him on Friday Night Dinner before, but I never realised how small he is and how high pitched his voice is. He comes across quite different in the sitcom. On this he was like a little gnome or something, really full of energy. But everything he said came off as trying too hard to tell a gag, and I thought most of it fell flat. Possibly he was nervous.

Alex Jones was great last week, not because she's funny, but because she is funny to laugh at, particularly Jimmy's reaction to the things she says.

I feel that with Sean Locke (a genuinely funny man), Jimmy Car and Jon Richardson, they have the perfect trifecta to make any show funny regardless of the guests. Jon and Sean have both been giving great value recently. It's a stronger show than when it had Dave Spikey or Jason Manford playing the Northerner card, although it was still good back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blister wrote: »
    Alex Jones was great last week, not because she's funny, but because she is funny to laugh at, particularly Jimmy's reaction to the things she says.
    She's no different from Jamelia or the lot from TOWIE in that regard.
    I feel that with Sean Locke (a genuinely funny man), Jimmy Car and Jon Richardson, they have the perfect trifecta to make any show funny regardless of the guests. Jon and Sean have both been giving great value recently. It's a stronger show than when it had Dave Spikey or Jason Manford playing the Northerner card, although it was still good back then.
    I think they have all be good captains. I do think Richardson is the best and it must be a conscious decision for them to keep going for a Northern comic to offset Lock.

Spikey was full of puns and cringy jokes but still funny.
    Manford was the bog standard northern club comic.

Richardson is something differrent. A wider range of comedy and it's improved the show.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Richardson is something differrent. A wider range of comedy and it's improved the show.

Richardson is most definitely "different" and that's why it's so funny having him on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very good episode last night. He received it earlier on in this thread but Rob Beckett deserves praise again. The whole panel worked really well together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spikey and Manford aren`t even fit to shine Jon`s shoes. Rewatching old eps on Dave and Challenge against the ones since JR started and the difference in quality is plain for all to see. You can tell Carr appreciates having them there and he`s funnier too as a result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Spikey and Manford aren`t even fit to shine Jon`s shoes. Rewatching old eps on Dave and Challenge against the ones since JR started and the difference in quality is plain for all to see. You can tell Carr appreciates having them there and he`s funnier too as a result.

I feel Manford was just as good as Jon is although I also don't care much for Spikey's time on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel Manford was just as good as Jon is although I also don't care much for Spikey's time on the show.

Richardson is a smart comedian, not something anyone has ever accused Manford of although he was vastly preferable to Spikey (did he ever take his jacket off - always looked like he`d got somewhere he was rushing off to).

Don`t understand the Cats does Countdown criticism either but then I seem to be in the minority of finding Wilkinson as funny as Sean and Jon do and if the divine Rachel puts up with him, who am I to disagree? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A very good episode last night. He received it earlier on in this thread but Rob Beckett deserves praise again. The whole panel worked really well together.
    I think Pascoe is improving on her panel show appearances. I think some of the new crop now are moving top the top - could be a good thing or bad thing.

You want the best people on there but you don't want the same handful over and over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing this week's episode was filmed in the late summer.

Gay marriage is an old subject and the ice bucket challenge is also a couple of months old.

I did spot that one of the surveys was from September 2014.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm guessing this week's episode was filmed in the late summer.

Gay marriage is an old subject and the ice bucket challenge is also a couple of months old.

I did spot that one of the surveys was from September 2014.

For some reason, in this episode they were asked about the most memorable events of the year so far, rather than the usual previous week, which is why these old stories were mentioned.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a bit odd - you'd expect the questions about the whole year to be on a xmas or new year edition. I wonder if it was filmed as a filler for some reason? Maybe Jimmy knew he wouldn't be available this week? I think they'd easily get in a ringer for Jon or Sean but might struggle with Jimmy.
    Anyone know for sure when this was filmed?
  • Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    For some reason, in this episode they were asked about the most memorable events of the year so far, rather than the usual previous week, which is why these old stories were mentioned.

Whenever they do special episodes like "Talking Points Of The Year", "Best British Traditions" and so on its usually because the day they usually film will be unavailable usually for Jimmy Carr to film and is too early in the week to discuss the previous weeks events.

Jimmy Carr usually does around 100-120 tour dates a year, so the fact he manages to fit in so much TV as well is actually a "hats off to you" kind of deal.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    A very good episode last night. He received it earlier on in this thread but Rob Beckett deserves praise again.
    Yes, he was great in the last episode.

I didn't mind that this was a talking points of the year episode. It's not as if I use 8 out of 10 Cats as a news source. So long as they're saying funny things it's all good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the Christmas special. Glad I watched it twice as the first time I was a bit tipsy and totally forgot about the penguins and the charades :D

Nice bit of kit that kebab rotisserrie. I did wonder where to buy the half size elephant leg though.