Options

Worst cover version of all time.

Comments

• Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swampman wrote: »
    Will Young attempting to cover Jim Morrisons Light my fire.
    Gill P wrote: »
    But Will wasn't covering The Doors "Light My Fire", it was Jose Feliciano's version he was covering. I don't like any of them. And I am a Will Young fan as everybody knows. :eek:
    swampman wrote: »
    Originally done by the doors though.As one report said in a music magazine at the time, Jim Morrison must be turning in his grave.

I think why a lot of people say Will's and also Jose's versions are the worst, is because these are the two most successful covers and most widely heard. Will's was #1 for two weeks and sold nearly half a million, Jose's cover of Light My Fire, won him 2 Grammy awards, for best male vocal performance and best new artist. Morrison may have turned in his grave a heck of a lot, because the song has been covered by more than 40 different artists, among them, Massive Attack, UB40, Shirley Bassey, Julie Driscoll, Minnie Riperton and Stevie Wonder and Al Green to name just a few, but I've not heard their versions, have you?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bijou wrote: »
    The worst I've heard is Limp Bizkit covering Behind blue eyes

I actually thought that was quite good. Judge for yourselves - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pp38SR1lMU

One of the funniest covers is their version of George Michael's Faith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ei_FJWHXys

The Manic Street Preachers have done some great covers over the years, the latest being Umbrella - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-wZ5uY0_o
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I agree with OnexOne's suggestion of Candy Flip's 'Strawberry Fields Forever.' Nothing to get hung about? Nothing to write home about you mean.:p

girls aloud vs sugarbabes - walk this way:mad::mad::mad:

Oh definitely, especially that "walk this way, you gotta talk this way" chant. This is going to sound very mean spirited of me but I don't care if it was in aid of charity either - it was still naff. I can think of quite a few bad cover versions by Girls Aloud funnily enough... particularly:

I Think We're Alone Now
    Jump (For My Love)
    See The Day

To me, Girls Aloud's covers are the 2000s equivalent to a lot of dire cover versions produced by Robson & Jerome in the 90's. The worst cover version I think they released was 'up on the roof' - it sounds like a karaoke mix!

Other pretty cack cover versions in my opinion include

Jan Wayne - Because The Night. - just plain wrong!

Flying Pickets - Only You - too depressing! Give me Yazoo anyday.

Kylie Minogue - The Locomotion. Whilst I am not a fan of the song particularly, I really hate the arrangement and tinny quality in general of this cover.

Scooter - The Logical Song. "When I was young it seemed helium was so wonderful." I sadly used to get asked for this back in the day - it sounded about 10 years out of date back then to me. I honestly think this is in the same boat as that dreadful hamster song which I believe was 'C vs I' by the Cuban Boys or something like that... pure trash!

Rod Stewart & Tina Turner - It Takes Two. I think they ruined it personally. I suppose it could have been a very good duet, but...
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »
    I'm not sure who it was exactly, but some dance pop girl covered Sweet Child o'Mine.

Eeek!

Damn that sounds like it could be as bad as Sheryl Crow's version now that was bad.

Will Young - Light my fire, needed putting out from the start. I remember what 1 of the judges from World Idol said when he sang it. :D

Madonna - American Pie

Avril Lavgine - Basket case, this was a pretty bad cover but have heard worst.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe no-one has mentioned Ronan Keating murdering The Goo Goo Dolls 'Iris'. The original is one of the most beautiful rock ballads ever. Ronan's version is the most soulless piece of music I have ever heard.

I think with a lot of the cover versions mentioned they jar with us because they're so different to the original we're used to, but even if I don't like those cover version I can appreciate that at least they've tried to do something different. The cover versions I hate the most is when the sing in the same style and using a similar arrangement as the original but not as well. What is the point in that? I think the worst offender of this is Girls Aloud version of See The Day. The Dee C. Lee original is amazing, voice is like honey, and Girls Aloud completely murdered it.
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolf Harris - Bohemian Rhapsody ; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ONrIByBGW_M&feature=related . [hot on the heels of his take of 'Stairway to Heaven]
  • Options
    mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jan wayne - because the night was ok

now the f'in crapcada version is pure s==t

infact anything by this 1 synth 1 beat group is pants.

Truly madly deeply got that was crap
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geri Halliwells- Its raining men.:mad::mad:

Any cascada or Westlife.... seriously- who buys this shite???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Geri Halliwells- Its raining men.:mad::mad:

Any cascada or Westlife.... seriously- who buys this shite???

My wife loves Cascada. I feel like I'm selling my soul whenever I buy her one of their albums, but what can I say, I love her...for now.

As for Geri Halliwell's It's Raining Men, all I can say is that I wish it had been raining food, so that she could have eaten some before making that video. I felt ill watching her prancing about, thinking she was sexy, when she was actually pitifully repulsive.

I reckon the worst cover was the most recent Band Aid song, with that knobheaded, talentless prick, Dizzee Rascal, ruining it further with his pathetic (c)rap.
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeh i would go for the 3rd band aid release even the 2nd release of it by the pete waterman crowd was better! and thats saying something!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beast1982 wrote: »
    The worst Ive ever heard was Madonnas cover of American Pie. I was annoyed that people bought it and it was a hit, cos it encouraged the effort

She hates it too. She said she regrets ever recording it and was persuaded by Rupert Everett.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    Almost every cover ever performed on Jo Whiley's Live Lounge?
    That show is just an invitation for mindless song slaughtering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Amy Winehouse - Valerie
    Lily Allen - Oh my God
  • Options
    nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Journey South - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Absolutely murdered it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    wombat79wombat79 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually Johnny Cash can do no wrong, but his cover of Gordon Lightfoot's If I Could Read Your Mind actually makes me cringe :o

Good calls here with Madonna's American Pie and Geri's It's Raining Men (in fact Geri 'singing' anything really...)

I really hated the Scissor Sisters' version of Comfortably Numb, a travesty.

Anyone doing A Bridge Over Troubled Water - the song verges on pure cheese anyway, but Art Garfunkel's amazing voice keeps it on the right side of emotional. Every other version I've heard hams it up appallingly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Zimmers - My Generation
  • Options
    unbiasedunbiased Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revelian wrote: »
    My wife loves Cascada. I feel like I'm selling my soul whenever I buy her one of their albums, but what can I say, I love her...for now..

right there with you on this, i grew up with all decent dance music of early 90' and this group butcher them and plenty of others to hell
    But my wife loves them loads also ...
    and ive had to buy her the albums along with the clubland compilation ones--i want to bleach my hands afterwards

do what i do,get them from play.com then u dont have to handle them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Have you heard Avril Lavigne's covers of "Chop Suey" by System of a Down, "Imagine" by John Lennon, and "The Scientist" by Coldplay?

I actually quite liked her Coldplay cover :o.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    The band that covered How Soon Is Now for the theme from charmed should be skinned alive and then have vinegar poured into the wounds
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You Shook Me All Night Long..Celine Dion does AC/DC

Anything by the MacDonald Brothers

and the worst ever...Life On Mars by G4

I feel ill now...
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Against All Odds - Westlife and Mariah Carey

I agree with a previous poster that any cover by Westlife is dire (I find their own stuff slightly more palatable) but I remember the first time I heard this I was driving, and I had to pull into a layby and calm down I was so distressed. :(:mad::(
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nagel84 wrote: »
    Journey South - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Absolutely murdered it. :rolleyes:

PMSL!!!!!:D:D:D:D

... yeah I can imagine.....:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unbiased wrote: »
    right there with you on this, i grew up with all decent dance music of early 90' and this group butcher them and plenty of others to hell
    But my wife loves them loads also ...
    and ive had to buy her the albums along with the clubland compilation ones--i want to bleach my hands afterwards

do what i do,get them from play.com then u dont have to handle them :D

That's great advice, but I think I'd rather just leave my wife for you, actually... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Little Jackie's attempt on Coldplay's Viva La Vida on Radio 1's Live Lounge was absolutely shockin
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    Can't believe no-one has mentioned Ronan Keating murdering The Goo Goo Dolls 'Iris'. The original is one of the most beautiful rock ballads ever. Ronan's version is the most soulless piece of music I have ever heard.

I reckon Dronin' Bleating is the musical equivalent of a serial killer........every cover he attempts, he murders imo. When You Say Nothing At All, I Hope You Dance,, We've Got Tonight........all taken out and slaughtered! As bad as his version of Iris is (and it IS bad) he does even worse things to his cover of Fairytale Of New York. It's horrendous in its execution. I loathe it!:mad: