Dally wrote: »
    Dawn has never done this.

I think you'll find she has.

Many, many times.
  • DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find she has.

Many, many times.

She has never sold any diet plans or sold any diet advice?? She has repeatedly said her weight is not the most important thing about her (with which I agree :) )
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has never sold any diet plans or sold any diet advice?? She has repeatedly said her weight is not the most important thing about her (with which I agree :) )

She's spoken on TV and to magazines plenty of times about her weight loss - presumably she was paid for it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

I can't believe she has undone all her hard work.

As I say, weight gain/loss is sometimes really complex. You can reach your goal weight and be delighted, but then something can happen which will cause you to get bigger again. Obviously I don't know about Dawn's private life, but for people who have psychological issues it is all too easy to be a "yo-yo" weight loser/gainer. I would love to be a size 10 and stay there but it would take so much more than me actually shifting the weight for that to happen.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    As I say, weight gain/loss is sometimes really complex. You can reach your goal weight and be delighted, but then something can happen which will cause you to get bigger again. Obviously I don't know about Dawn's private life, but for people who have psychological issues it is all too easy to be a "yo-yo" weight loser/gainer. I would love to be a size 10 and stay there but it would take so much more than me actually shifting the weight for that to happen.

Yes, I take all that on board.
  • DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    She's spoken on TV and to magazines plenty of times about her weight loss - presumably she was paid for it too.

The interviews I have seen she never brings it up first and tolerates it politely from the interviewer and tries her best to move the topic on and away without over-doing it and drawing attention to it. She has never promoted a diet product. Poor woman - those interviewers try and drag it into any conversation about her new book or show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interviews I have seen she never brings it up first and tolerates it politely from the interviewer and tries her best to move the topic on and away without over-doing it and drawing attention to it. She has never promoted a diet product. Poor woman - those interviewers try and drag it into any conversation about her new book or show.

I've witnessed the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor woman - those interviewers try and drag it into any conversation about her new book or show.

Her weight is part of her, and she's never been shy of promoting herself through her weight. ''Fat women have better sex'' and a whole South Bank Show in 1994 featuring her and Alison Moyet banging on about how wonderful it is to be overweight.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody said she did! What I said was she has done plenty of interviews and discussed her weight, lifestyle etc.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    But lots of things people do are bad for their health - lots of celebs smoke that's really bad for you. I think at the end of the day someone's health is kinda of their own business.

Never said anything different. Am merely commenting on someone who is in the public eye. Not sure what relevance celebs who smoke have to this? I am aware that plenty of people do detrimental things to their health; Dawn French being one of them - by being so huge. I never claimed that anything I comment upon on here is any of my business.. But it's a showbiz forum. Are the comments you make about celebrities any of your business?
    There are a lot of diabetics who are slim as there are many influencing factors in diabetes not just weight.

You can't possibly presume someone who is overweight is diabetic anymore than you can presume someone who is thin doesn't have heart disease.

Possibly not, but you CAN assume that someone of her weight and girth is a hospital statistic waiting to happen. A link between diabetes and weight has been proven and whilst she might be not diabetic, I strongly suspect her organs are under massive strain at the very least.
    Her weight is part of her, and she's never been shy of promoting herself through her weight. ''Fat women have better sex'' and a whole South Bank Show in 1994 featuring her and Alison Moyet banging on about how wonderful it is to be overweight.

Quite. Moyet has lost stacks of weight though and looks all the better for it - and must be so much healthier.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's naturally big.

It's very difficult for her.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite. Moyet has lost stacks of weight though and looks all the better for it - and must be so much healthier.

And, unless I've missed it, hasn't gone to the media talking about her weight loss. She's just lost weight over a long period of time and then got on with her life quietly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    She's naturally big.

She's not actually.

If you look at pictures of her as a teenager in her autobiography she's very slim indeed.
    Slim here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LG2pf4Yio
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not actually.

If you look at pictures of her as a teenager in her autobiography she's very slim indeed.
    Slim here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LG2pf4Yio

she would be classed as overweight or even obese in that young ones clip, believe it or not, you only need to be a stone or two your ideal weight to be considered obese in terms of BMI and she is very short
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    she would be classed as overweight or even obese in that young ones clip, believe it or not, you only need to be a stone or two your ideal weight to be considered obese in terms of BMI and she is very short

Oh come off it.

Compared to the size she is now, she was positively sylph-like back in 1982.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes but she has never sold any diet plan like pauline quirke did
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selling diet and exercise tips in the way that other (mainly lesser) celebrities have done is just not Dawn's thing. I do remember her promoting a clothing line for the larger woman but that's about it. Yes, she gets asked about it. What's she supposed to say? If she refused to comment, she'd get hammered for it. She's not the sort to tip off the paps so they all come and snap her when she's slimmer. When she regains weight, is she supposed to say on TV "Oh yes, I'm fat and disgusting" when she plainly isn't the latter (well, not in my view). Keeping her weight down would be better for her health but she's never going to be Twiggy and, for the most part, that's not what most people have overwhelmingly judged her on.

There's no question that Dawn French is morbidly obese but that's an issue for her, her doctor(s) and those she is close to. If she died young due to obesity-related illness it would be a tragedy BUT I think that she's the type who would argue that she'd rather die younger, fat and content than battle on to be thin for the rest of her life and be as miserable as sin.

ETA: I have to admit wondering if she is comfortable with her current weight as it must be telling on her in some physical way, health wise. However, I'm sure she's heard just about every bit of advice she's going to hear, is aware of all the kinds of insults people in her position contend with and absolutely understands what she needs to do to lose weight. Again, what more is there to say? It is down to her and she'll already know it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's naturally big.

She's not "big" as in tall - she's probably just about 5 ft tall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    yes but she has never sold any diet plan like pauline quirke did

She did clothes ranges for "larger ladies" and did a couple of knitting pattern books called "Big Girls Knits".

She also did the Terry's chocolate orange ads and that was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek stuff about her weight and eating chocolate.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She did an interview in Woman quite recently which was mainly about her weight.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come off it.

Compared to the size she is now, she was positively sylph-like back in 1982.

I wasnt comparing, someone said that she was very slim in that clip, she wasnt slim, she was at least overweight if you look carefully, just because she is bigger now doesnt mean she wasnt overweight then

I am about the same size as her now and I love Dawn French but I am also realistic about what constitutes 'overweight', 'obese' and 'morbidly obese', they are clinical categories, not opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I wasnt comparing, someone said that she was very slim in that clip, she wasnt slim, she was at least overweight if you look carefully, just because she is bigger now doesnt mean she wasnt overweight then

I am about the same size as her now and I love Dawn French but I am also realistic about what constitutes 'overweight', 'obese' and 'morbidly obese', they are clinical categories, not opinion

I didn't say you were comparing, just that compared to how she is now she was slim then. She was perhaps rather overweight, but not the morbidly obese figure she is now. She's about 5 foot 3 and at least 18-19 stone - that's not good for anyone.

I really don't think she'll live to see 60.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got loads of time for DF.

We all fight our demons in different ways.
    Hope she is ok.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's naturally big.

Sorry but there is no such thing.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say you were comparing, just that compared to how she is now she was slim then. She was perhaps rather overweight, but not the morbidly obese figure she is now. She's about 5 foot 3 and at least 18-19 stone - that's not good for anyone.

I really don't think she'll live to see 60.

Hmm, but my mum was 4 foot 11 and 15 stone all her life .She lived to 93 , had no diabetes, heart problems , or strokes .She died of dementia like a lot of slim people .

Yes , she was naturally big ( obese )