Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Two Faces of January (2013) - 7/10

A fairly interesting adaptation of a Patricia Highsmith story. Curiously hollow, but decent performances all around. I admit I was distracted by how much Kirsten Dunst, who's now looking a bit older, resembles my mother. It didn't seem that long ago she was just a kid.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Half Nelson [2006]. Director: Ryan Fleck

7/10

Coke addict teacher befriends one of his pupils whose drug dealer brother is in jail. A bit too much shaky camera stuff. Ryan Gosling deservedly bagged an Oscar nomination.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard Candy
    This film is weird, I want to like it more and give it a higher score, but something is stopping me from doing so and I'm not sure what it is. I like the concept of the plot and I thought the two leads were very good, especially Ellen Page. Its also decently filmed for a low budget movie - the dark tone and grittiness of it all is perfectly conveyed. There's just something playing at the back of my mind that won't let me score this film higher than what I have nor will I want to watch it again. Its weird, because its not a bad film, its sick and twisted and the plot edges into dark territory, but it is rather good in a sick and depressing way. One to watch, but probably not worth a re-watch or own the DVD. 5/10.

Toy Story
    Re-watch for me, first time watch for me wee-lil two-year old cousin who I watched it with. She loved it and It was like reliving my childhood for me (it was my favourite movie as a wee-kid). Even after almost 20 years and several imitations and two sequels this is still the best and sets the trend - its easily the best of the trilogy and always will be for me. The animation also still holds up really well (hard to believe this was released in 1995!!). Although the Woody and Buzz dynamic is great, I've always been a fan of Mr. Potato Head and Hamm the piggybank - perfect animated comedy duo in those two. The voice cast, the animation, the puns, inside jokes, references, level of detail, the story and just the fun that can be had from this film as either an adult or a kid is amazing. For 90 minutes I got to be a big kid alongside me kid cousin and no-one questioned it... Seeing that excitement and laughter that I had from watching this years ago being transferred to a new generation of me family made me feel old (haha...) but at the same time it reminded me why I too loved this film and always will. Brilliant film 10/10.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Indian Runner

Grimy and grim Sean Penn directed movie from 1991, featuring Viggo Mortensen returning to Ohio after serving in Vietnam, only to go off the rails in spectacular fashion. The film itself was dreary and too long, but it was interesting to see a young and quite beautiful Patricia Arquette as his put upon nubile wife, and a uncharacteristic turn from Charles Bronson who plays his gentle and mild mannered father in one of his last appearances. Not something I could sit through twice.

5/10
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched Enemy Mine (1985) Last Night thought it was good film a 6 out of 10 to.

Just watched Jungle 2 Jungle (1997) was also on TV think film 4 I gave it a 5 out of 10.
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,165
    Forum Member
    The Road to El Dorado (2000) - 8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contre toi (In Your Hands)[2010]. Director: Lola Doillon

6/10

Abducted woman starts a relationship, of sorts, with her abductor.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zodiac
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    79 Of Station (79 af stooinni) (1962) 8/10
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carolina Moon - 5/10

The plot crams in abusive fathers, alleged child rape, murder, psychics and forbidden love. That sounds quite entertaining and admittedly, the film did hold my interest. There were a lot of annoyances though; the accent of the tarty blonde character, the flashbacks showing the younger self of the main character, the overly-sentimental scenes (particularly between the main character and her lover) and the unnecessary and predictable twist at the end.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Oldboy (2013) 7/10

Curiosity got the better of me.

I actually found it to be quite good, though clearly not a patch on the original which is one of those films you sit watching open mothed at how both brilliant and outrageous it is at the same time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone in 60 Seconds 7/10
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Grand Budapest hotel - 7/10

Quirky and original
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,165
    Forum Member
    The Lodger (1927) - 7.5/10
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looper - Could have been quite good, but it wasn't really. A waste of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me Without You
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Milk 9/10
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We Are The Best (Vi ar bast!) (2013) 8/10
    White Bird In A Blizzard (2014) 5/10
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MR POPPERS PENGUINS - 7/10
    diverting stuff really, nice little time waster ..... how about a SEQUEL of sorts with the penguins only getting chased by a killer whale :D
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Cinema Paradiso 10/10
    If.... 8/10
    Jules et Jim. 9/10
    The Sun in a Net 8/10
    A Jesters Tale. 7/10
    Day of Wrath. 8/10
    Blind Woman's Curse. 5/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The American
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bone Collector & Closed Circuit - 5/10

Both films sounded intriguing, but didn't live up to the premise.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Nobody

I lost the will to live after about 15 minutes :(
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,383
    Forum Member
    The World's End - 6/10

Big fan of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost but this just didn't feel right compared to Hot Fuzz, Paul etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Greatest Game Ever Played [2005]. Director: Bill Paxton

6/10

A rare golf movie (about the 1913 US Open), scripted by Mark (Hill Street Blues/Twin Peaks) Frost.

The Saint Takes Over [1940]. Director: Jack Hively

5/10

Roger Moore made this role his own 2 decades later so these old movies with George Sanders don't quite cut it now.
This discussion has been closed.