Moving from BT Vision to Humax T2000

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had no response to this on the Online Entertainment forum, so I thought I'd see how it does on here:

My 12 month BT Vision contract expires next month, so I've just rung BT to cancel it. I'm planning to buy a Humax T2000 PVR (or is it now called a DTR?).

The Humax can access catch-up and Youtube via what it calls the Humax Portal.

Can I just leave the BT power line adaptors plugged in? Ethernet's not an option until I replace the carpets.

Can I switch my Home Hub 3 off when we go on holiday, even when I have recordings set?

I know the Humax can record many programmes broadcast in the previous week. Is this via the aerial or the internet?

Presumably the Portal will access other web sites, not BT Vision content. I assume that usage would then be logged against my broadband allowance (40GB pm, I currently use about 10 pm.)?

I had the extra channels, but the only ones I watched were Gold and Universal. Is there any way to access these?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Humax DTR-T2000 is a Youview (with Freeview) recorder whilst the Humax HDR-2000T is a Freeview+ recorder. Which one are you intending to buy?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Can I just leave the BT power line adaptors plugged in? Ethernet's not an option until I replace the carpets.
    Yes. Just because they are BT branded adapters does not mean they only work with BT branded equipment.

Oh and don't even think about running ethernet cables under the carpet! :) It will not protect them from damage caused by people walking over them. All it does is hide the damage and make it harder to find and fix.
    Can I switch my Home Hub 3 off when we go on holiday, even when I have recordings set?
    If the recordings are from the aerial then it makes no difference if the Home Hub is on, off or smashed into a million pieces at the bottom of the dustbin.
    I know the Humax can record many programmes broadcast in the previous week. Is this via the aerial or the internet?
    The catch up services are all internet based. There is no way they could be broadcast over the air to be picked up by an aerial (simply zero capacity for such a service)
    Presumably the Portal will access other web sites, not BT Vision content. I assume that usage would then be logged against my broadband allowance (40GB pm, I currently use about 10 pm.)?
    Yes. Only BT TV services that you subscribe to are excluded from your BT broadband allowance. No sub means no exclusions.
    I had the extra channels, but the only ones I watched were Gold and Universal. Is there any way to access these?
    Not that I am aware of. There may be some dodgy websites of dubious legality offering access, but not aware of any legitimate option without subscribing to something like BT TV, Sky or Virgin Media.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Soulboy77 - it's the Freeview one, the 200T. (I wasn't sure which way round it was, so I did a google search on 'T2000'. When I got lots of hits, I assumed that it was right. :)

chrisjr - I was hoping to get rid of my PLA's : the wiring's messy, and the flickering lights are distracting. However, I understand I can buy a wifi dongle to plug in the rear of the box. I may try that.

I've always been worried leaving the Hub and modem on while we're away on holiday, but it's never caused any problems. If I switch them off for a week or two, would the signal need to go through a "settling in" period again?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't expect to get ITV player, CH4 and CH5 catch up services on a HDR2000T. BBC iplayer is available (and in HD) though.

The Youview box is the only one with all 4 services.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soulboy77 - it's the Freeview one, the 200T. (I wasn't sure which way round it was, so I did a google search on 'T2000'. When I got lots of hits, I assumed that it was right. :)

Just to absolutely clarify.

The HDR-T2000 is Youview with the go backwards EPG for catch up and obviously Freeview.

The HDR-2000T is Freeview, it doesn't have the go back EPG of a Youview box, you get BBC iPlayer but not a lot else on catch up.

If you want catch up then the T2000 is the one to get, if you don't then the 2000T is generally considered better though I've never used the T2000.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get all the main UK catch up services with a Now TV box for (last time I looked) only £10.

If you are not worried about top quality, you can record from this to an older analogue input hard disk recorder (hard to find these days), or even (lol) the good old fashioned VCR!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for all the replies.

grahamlthompson : I don't use catch up very often, and when I do it's nearly always BBC.

bobcar : I hadn't realised that. If I need catchup, I've got my laptop and an iPad mini. For some reason, I don't like watching TV on the laptop, but I'm OK with it on the iPad. Weird.

Winston_1 : Not really feasible. The cable would have to run alongside two doors and in and out for an arch between two rooms. And I'm not the sort who could arrange it neatly.

oilman : I've never heard of this before. I've made a note, and I'll look again once I've had the box in for a few weeks.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Winston_1 : Not really feasible. The cable would have to run alongside two doors and in and out for an arch between two rooms. And I'm not the sort who could arrange it neatly.

I wouldn’t take any notice of Winston and his anti HomePlug campaign as your neighbours are just as likely to be using homeplugs as you are and if radio hams have a problem with that they should try moving on and join the digital age instead of playing with their old valve radio’s.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks SkipTracer

I'll probably get rid of the PLAs whether the wifi dongle works or not. They just cause extra wiring at the phone end and the TV end. As well as permanently occupying two wall sockets.

When we bought our new TV (well, new four years ago) we also changed from a wooden TV stand to a smart glass and chrome one. Now she complains about the messy wiring which is now visible. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again for all the replies.

grahamlthompson : I don't use catch up very often, and when I do it's nearly always BBC.

If you can still get one (Try Humax direct) get a HDR FOX T2. If you add the free custom firmware add on you can even record iplayer (Even in HD) and Youtube, though the new 30 day duration on watching does make this less desirable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can still get one (Try Humax direct) get a HDR FOX T2. If you add the free custom firmware add on you can even record iplayer (Even in HD) and Youtube, though the new 30 day duration on watching does make this less desirable.

I've got a Fox-T2 with the standard firmware on it and it won't connect to the Humax TV Portal. Just get an error message up on screen when you do. So no iPlayer or anything else.

Not sure if it's just me or if Humax have broken something (seem to recall the TV portal was never very good anyway even when it did work!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I've got a Fox-T2 with the standard firmware on it and it won't connect to the Humax TV Portal. Just get an error message up on screen when you do. So no iPlayer or anything else.

Not sure if it's just me or if Humax have broken something (seem to recall the TV portal was never very good anyway even when it did work!).

It's not you.

The HD FOX T2 hasn't got 1.03.xx firmware available for it required to access the new iplayer (now at version 4). This doesn't apply to the HDR FOX T2 which with the Custom firmware also adds an extra portal with apps like Sky Go available (If you have a login ID).

It is possible to access the iplayer on a HD FOX T2 by persuading it that it's a HDR FOX T2 but it's a bit messy to do so. For normal ops you have to revert the firmware.

I don't know if Humax will issue a 1.03.12 to match the latest HDR FOX T2 release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not you.

The HD FOX T2 hasn't got 1.03.xx firmware available for it required to access the new iplayer (now at version 4). This doesn't apply to the HDR FOX T2 which with the Custom firmware also adds an extra portal with apps like Sky Go available (If you have a login ID).

It is possible to access the iplayer on a HD FOX T2 by persuading it that it's a HDR FOX T2 but it's a bit messy to do so. For normal ops you have to revert the firmware.

I don't know if Humax will issue a 1.03.12 to match the latest HDR FOX T2 release.
    Sorry it is a HDR Fox-T2 I've got and it's on the latest firmware. It was doing it on ver 1.2 something so I downloaded ver 1.3 whatever and it is exactly the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Sorry it is a HDR Fox-T2 I've got and it's on the latest firmware. It was doing it on ver 1.2 something so I downloaded ver 1.3 whatever and it is exactly the same.

Odd I have two, no issues with either. Router reset maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd I have two, no issues with either. Router reset maybe.

To be honest I can't really be arsed to mess about with it. :D When it was working I maybe used it twice, if that! If I need to watch something on iPlayer I just fire it up on the telly.