The End Of Time was truley awful... wasnt it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but once it was thought, it couldn't be unthought.;)

Well, in The Almost People didn't the Ganger Doctor quote Tennant and then said "No, not any more! We've moved on!" :D
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, in The Almost People didn't the Ganger Doctor quote Tennant and then said "No, not any more! We've moved on!" :D

That wasn't so much a shot at Tennant but a shot at everyone who was (and sometimes still do) say they want Tennant back and that they hate Smith because he isn't Tennant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Watching part 2 now and I still like it a lot even if 10 is complaining a bit. And now I get to see Jack and Alonso.:D
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,734
    Forum Member
    I'm still trying to figure out who Claire Bloom's character was supposed to be!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Its amazing to read this thread. Everyone is so restrained, the "Wasn't it rubbish/Eccleston's departure was better" crowd on one side; on the other "I thought it was brilliant/I hated Matt's little jogging at the end".

Truth is, Some love Matt and can't understand why people like the over-sentimental David, whereas some adore David and can't understand the tellytubby Matt.

Truth is both were (and are) so good that its become almost tribal. If Matt Smith or David Tennant are reading this (which I doubt); they, along with RTD and SM should be very proud.

But Christopher was better :p:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well watching the BBC version Im never looking at the one on WATCH again.
    when you see how much they butchered out of it that version is terrible.

I love they give DT a lot of time to say his goodbyes
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out who Claire Bloom's character was supposed to be!:D

I think all the suggestion was she was the Doctor's mother but that might just be me :)
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it on Iplayer yet you guys, I want to watch something. I have a film downloading on 97% so I'm going with whichever one finishes first :D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I don't care what anyone says, I think the ending of TEoT was absolutely fan-bl**dy-tastic and it always has me in tears.

I always wish 10 hadn't gone then I'm always glad to see 11. :)

But the Universe singing him to sleep, that amazing Vale Decem and the line about the song has ended but the story never ends has to be among the best DW scenes ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I don't care what anyone says, I think the ending of TEoT was absolutely fan-bl**dy-tastic and it always has me in tears.

But the Universe singing him to sleep, that amazing Vale Decem and the line about the song has ended but the story never ends has to be among the best DW scenes ever.
    I loved it too TBH, but I wouldn't cry. I don't think regeneration scenes are sad, just beautiful (in both ways). :)
    Mind you I'm going to :mad: if I carry on reading a certain topic in GD. :D
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it too TBH, but I wouldn't cry. I don't think regeneration scenes are sad, just beautiful (in both ways). :)
    Mind you I'm going to :mad: if I carry on reading a certain topic in GD. :D

+1 :p
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's really lovely.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still can't watch the end properly, today I had to turn over after the Master went :cry::o

The episode goes a bit OTT in places, but at the same time is good, and the time lords are in it which being a post 2005 watcher was/is quite a big thing. 11's entrance was really awesome, and the light heartedness needed after all that emotion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    I still can't watch the end properly, today I had to turn over after the Master went :cry::o

The episode goes a bit OTT in places, but at the same time is good, and the time lords are in it which being a post 2005 watcher was/is quite a big thing. 11's entrance was really awesome, and the light heartedness needed after all that emotion.
    Why, because it sad or because you think it's so OTT and cringe-inducing? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    Its amazing to read this thread. Everyone is so restrained, the "Wasn't it rubbish/Eccleston's departure was better" crowd on one side; on the other "I thought it was brilliant/I hated Matt's little jogging at the end".

Truth is, Some love Matt and can't understand why people like the over-sentimental David, whereas some adore David and can't understand the tellytubby Matt.

Truth is both were (and are) so good that its become almost tribal. If Matt Smith or David Tennant are reading this (which I doubt); they, along with RTD and SM should be very proud.

But Christopher was better :p:p

I don't mind between Tennant and Smith - I think both have had their moments but undoubtedly for me

Christopher was indeed better. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it finished yet guys?? :o
    Stever7 wrote: »
    +1 :p
    Thanks. Argument narrowly avoided I think :) I must be good at avoiding trouble because I'm always having to get out of things I've started :o:D
    Oops off topic.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, because it sad or because you think it's so OTT and cringe-inducing? :)

Kind of both? The cynical critic me thinks it's really self idulgent, but the emotional romanticy me gets really sad that ten's going and then the music kicks in.:cry:....my brain just can't handle it so I leave and try and time it to be back for Matt's bit.

I guess that's like setting up house on the fence but it's how I feel :p
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    "I don't want to go".

Probably the worst send-off any Doctor has had since "Colin" had a cycling accident in "Time and the Rani".

Hartnell's Doc passes away in a dignified manner, Troughton spent his last moments defending his actions
    before the Time Lords, Jon, Tom, Peter and Chris were consoling their upset companions,
    and Sylv was warning everyone about the reborn Master. They
    were heroic to the end.

David just whinges like a spoilt teenager. :mad:
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I don't want to go".

Probably the worst send-off any Doctor has had since "Colin" had a cycling accident in "Time and the Rani".

Hartnell's Doc passes away in a dignified manner, Troughton spent his last moments defending his actions
    before the Time Lords, Jon, Tom, Peter and Chris were consoling their upset companions,
    were heroic to the end.

He died sacrificing himself for an old man :/
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I don't want to go".

were heroic to the end.

What if, he just didn't want to "die". Because that's basically what he did. People have a tendency in general to not want to die. Once he changed, he was a new man. Ten was dead. Long live Eleven. :)
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just rewatched it and it is actually a decent episode. There was the odd silly or incosistent manner and I do think they approached the regeneration in the completely wrong way. Not only that but it is DEFINATELY too drawn out. For example what they did in his visiting old companions could have been handled just as effectively in a flashbacks scene. However it is a real good episode in the big where Tennant doesent just go all cry baby, he IS a good Doctor, the Master is brilliant as usual and there are epic moments. I think though the main purpose served by the end of time (which is probs why Tennants deatgh is handled so differently) is that its not ONLY about Tennants departure, it's also wrapping up everything in the RTD era e.g. saying bye to companions, the time war. That is why this story is different which is why many hate it while others love it. It isnt just a regeneration episode (by the way the bits with the time war are epic if a little poorly handled in places and it should be revisited).
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    What if, he just didn't want to "die". Because that's basically what he did. People have a tendency in general to not want to die. Once he changed, he was a new man. Ten was dead. Long live Eleven. :)

It's not death. The whole point of it is to avoid death. As Moffat once said, there aren't Eleven Doctors, there's one Doctor who has Eleven faces.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    I think all the suggestion was she was the Doctor's mother but that might just be me :)

It's not just you. RTD wrote it as the Doctor's mother and that's who he very much intended it to be. But he was smart enough to not actually say so on screen so that each viewer can decide for themselves who she is. I certainly thought that's who she was supposed to be when I originally watched.

But when nothing was actually said, I decided "random time lady with similar outlook on things as the Doctor."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not death. The whole point of it is to avoid death. As Moffat once said, there aren't Eleven Doctors, there's one Doctor who has Eleven faces.

Which is how it comes over in Time Crash
    "I don't mean to be vain but ..." "All my love to long ago."
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Which is how it comes over in Time Crash
    "I don't mean to be vain but ..." "All my love to long ago."

Indeed.