I have chosen well

doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
Forum Member
So what about the scene with missy this time. 'My Clara. I have chosen well'.

Anyone have any thoughts or further speculation on this scene as to what it says about the missy mystery as a whole? Anyone feel it back's up or seems to ruin theories they had up until this point.

I found it interesting that the fact she was watching them seems to mean she can keep tabs on them at all times. Plus, in my opinion I feel that this scene, along with others shown, seem to confirm that she is indeed 'real' and not some weird aspect of the Doctor/Clara's mind or personality. That's just my take on it though.

Comments

• Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just as clueless as I ever was, but what the hell.

Maybe she is the Doctor. In Trial of a Timelord, they say you start to go insane if you exceed your 12 regeneration limit. Maybe there's some kind of weird conjoined time twin thing going on, like when an egg splits in the womb.

Or maybe she's a regenerated Susan, who's angry at her grandfather for some reason and messing with him.

I dunno... only 3 weeks left anyway... hopefully.

EDIT: Actually, if she was a split off from the regeneration, perhaps there's a contingency plan for extra regenerations where all the negative effects are chi-phoned off. Like hazardous by-product.

We never saw the clock tower after Smith regenerated. She could have been up there. If you knew you were the damage cast offs of another being, it might send you a bit mental.

These are all brilliant ideas of course :p brilliant ideas completely based on conjecture, and therefore holding less water than a half empty thimble.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what about the scene with missy this time. 'My Clara. I have chosen well'.

Anyone have any thoughts or further speculation on this scene as to what it says about the missy mystery as a whole? Anyone feel it back's up or seems to ruin theories they had up until this point.

I found it interesting that the fact she was watching them seems to mean she can keep tabs on them at all times. Plus, in my opinion I feel that this scene, along with others shown, seem to confirm that she is indeed 'real' and not some weird aspect of the Doctor/Clara's mind or personality. That's just my take on it though.

That's the first thing I thought of too. She seemed to be watching Clara on a screen, and the implication was that Missy was indeed real. Up until now I've wondered if she was just some imaginary splinter of the Doctor or something, but it really seems like she exists, in 'our' world, somehow. Intriguing.
    And the "My Clara" line seemed to imply that Missy was somehow controlling Clara, or even that Clara knowingly works for Missy. All very interesting.

As long as she's not bleedin' Rani though. No way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I have to confess im at a loss as to whom Missy is or isn't !!! I can't help but think there is a Galifreyian link! Could the nethersphere be a Matrix type level of existence as in Deadly Assassin?
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    judgedeed wrote: »
    I have to confess im at a loss as to whom Missy is or isn't !!! I can't help but think there is a Galifreyian link! Could the nethersphere be a Matrix type level of existence as in Deadly Assassin?
    A gallifreyian link certainly would be interesting. A lot of people think the whole 'afterlife/nethersphere' aspect and the people who go to her is some kind of double bluff and they aren't really dead or something, but I think, for that part of it at least, thewriters are honestly showing us that she is something to do with the afterlife and those people really are dead. Whether she is anything else besides that, or whether the finale means that those people could somehow not be dead by the end is yet to be seen.

The most interesting thing for me is the fact that if you assume the clockwork droid jumped himself, then the only people missy has been interested in are the one's who have sacrificed themselves for him or his cause at the time. there are lot's of people who have died in other circumstances who haven't been shown with missy, and in the case of the police officer in the caretaker, he died not for the doctor or in his presence and as such it was shown she didn't have time for him.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "My Clara"

Very interesting line. :D

Maybe it's her mother? :p
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    "My Clara"

Very interesting line. :D

Maybe it's her mother? :p
    She could have some deeper connection to Clara but personally I just took it as her saying 'my Clara' because she was her selection to be placed with the doctor for the as yet to be known reason, and as such she was saying it as 'my Clara' because she feels responsibility and ownership for the current situation of her and the doctor being together because she was presumably the woman in the shop who made it happen.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    and as such she was saying it as 'my Clara' because she feels responsibility and ownership for the current situation of her and the doctor being together because she was presumably the woman in the shop who made it happen.

Yes, I think this is what we're expected to think. And as usual, still gives us zero clues as to who or why!
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    let me just clear it all up for you now. It's not the Rani.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    let me just clear it all up for you now. It's not the Rani.

I thought everyone was The Rani.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    I thought everyone was The Rani.

I'm the Rani, and so's my wife...
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    I'm the Rani, and so's my wife...

Wow. People have been seeing you both everywhere for years!
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted a theory a few days ago on another thread:

Total Conjecture:

The best way to defeat your enemy is to learn about your enemy.

So, how best to learn about your enemy, if your enemy is the Doctor?

Answer - plant a stooge to become a companion who he trusts and becomes close to. Get that companion to be so close to the Doctor that she learns how the doctor works for you (without realising it). When she finally gets it, watch the whole thing of Clara being the Doctor, acting just like the Doctor on your IPad (lol) and congratulate yourself on choosing such a good stooge when your plan comes together .......

If such a theory were true then Clara has been "under the influence" of Missy ever since the shop incident but just never knew ......

All speculation naturally

The flip side this episode was nothing of the sort - just a chance for the Docotr to see in his eyes how he appears to other people and to realise he is not acting like a good man. In which case, the whole thing with Missy in the end is just a mystery to me. Just worth noting - Capaldi joked with Clara that Eleven was her boyfriend, and in the same episode Missy referred to her boyfriend (the Doctor) having recently changed and acquired a new accent ....
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not watched he last few weeks but have read the threads. Am I the only thinking that Missy saying she chose well pretty much confirms her as the woman in the shop?

As in she gave Clara the doctors number, thus she thinks she chose her as his next companion.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure tbh.

Best guess is that Clara is an unwitting agent of Missy (via hypnosis or something similar), being used to spy on The Doctor. Hence the desire to put them together in the first place (the woman in the shop) and reuniting them in Deep Breath (with the paper ad).

Why or what for .................................................. Not a clue.

edit - basically what The_Judge_ said.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    First of all I 100% think she is NOT a future Doctor or any part of him at all but the line would still fit if she was 11 did choose her
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    The Doctor clearly knows something is up, noting in "Deep Breath" that something is working to keep him and Clara together and commenting on the woman in the shop. It's not like him to do nothing about it. And he's not spoken of it on screen since.

He's been studying Clara very intently at times. I think he's been off investigating in between trips with Clara. I think he's been studying Clara's future, and discovered that she is supposed to leave with Danny at some point. Whether that's something that should have already happened is unclear. He might even have arranged their current jobs so they meet.

One of his strategies is to push Clara away and towards Danny by being overly rude and obnoxious. He can't push the rudeness too far because it would "tip off" his antagonist (who we know as Missy, but he might not have worked out who it is yet). It's also possible it's necessary for Clara to make the decision to leave, so he can't just drop her off and never return.

In regards to Missy we still don't know:

Who Missy is,
    Why she's doing what she's doing
    How she's doing it
    What being chosen means
    What the promised land is
    The extent of (if any) infuence over Clara

Maybe Missy doesn't have any infuence over Clara and is merely deluded. She doesn't seem to be quite a full shilling.

In addition we still don't know:

What's in Danny/Rupert's past that's making him the way he is
    The link with Orson

Awesome, isn't it? :D

I was really having a bad time with this series until "Listen", but now I'm loving it! :D
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit worried Missy will be Kovarian II. Some fans say the companions are all the same but what about villains ?. How many times is the doctor going to be hoodwinked ?. Kovarian was never made to pay for her henious crimes. Amy gave her a tounge lashing and left her to burn. However reset universe meant she lived. How do we know she isn't still out there doing terrible things to innocent people ?. Missy deserves a confrontation. 12 and Clara should not be happy that they have been used as her puppets. Clara should at least get to pull her hair or something.:p:)
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    So what about the scene with missy this time. 'My Clara. I have chosen well'..

Given that this is Moffat - the man who gave us the "it is discovered" twist - how about she's chosen the WORD "well" - as uttered by dismal dan - for some reason - perhaps as a trigger word (as used by sleeper agents).
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new theory - Missy has been using Clara to teach the Doctor he is a good man and to help him to feel and emote again.

Just that weird Cyberman logo behind her in the last scene is odd ... :)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think this is what we're expected to think. And as usual, still gives us zero clues as to who or why!

It's exactly what I thought. I concluded that, based on the evidence, Missy either is or is associated with the lady in the shop.

Of course there could be a thousand pieces of further evidence that change the narrative but that's the best conclusion for now.
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    My new theory - Missy has been using Clara to teach the Doctor he is a good man and to help him to feel and emote again.

Just that weird Cyberman logo behind her in the last scene is odd ... :)

I wondered how many people understood the meaning this weekend when Clara switched from asking if she'd done well to asking if she'd done good. I think she was just being lazy with grammar but the Doctor clearly saw the difference.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intriguingly - given the nature of Missy's arc - there is footage on YouTube of Doctor Who being filmed in London's marvellous Brompton Cemetery in July (if you've never been there, it's one of London's most unexpectedly delightful open spaces). Even more amusing, is that one of the legends of the cemetery has always held that one of the tombs, which looks Egyptian, is a time machine...
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I reckon The Doctor knows a hell of a lot more about Clara and Missy's (unwitting?) relationship than he's let on.

It's almost certainly why the TARDIS doesn't like Clara, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the reason that he only takes Clara on "days out" rather than her being a full-on travelling companion. Hell, with a bit of Moffat-esque re-evaluation, this could even be the reason that she is the "Impossible Girl", and the SplinterClara thing is something separate to that nickname (and in Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS The Doctor's theory was that Clara was a "trick, or a trap" - maybe he was on to something there).

Hell, at one point over the last few days I even had a half-formed theory that all the jibes the Doctor has made to Clara about having a "wide-face", looking older than he does, "missing a spot" with her make-up etc. was building to something - for The Doctor the "veil has been lifted" and he "sees her" and the Clara we see isn't what Clara really is (the seeds have been sown for this with all the perception filters, holographic clothes etc.), but Clara doesn't know this, she's as fooled as anyone. I was quite excited by that idea, but in retrospect I don't think it holds up at all, so I've ditched it. Was a fun day's internal-speculation, though, haha.

I said it in the Flatline topic, but I think the most important line of the arc so far (on a meta level) was "You're not asking the right question" - I reckon we have so much more info on this whole thing than we realise right now, and we're gonna be blown away in a few weeks time.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

Another possible Moffatesque play on words and our assumptions - when the Doctor asks Clara "Am I a good man", he may not be looking for affirmation of his own worth - he may be asking that entirely to see her reaction.

It's a common diagnostic tool in psychiatry and psychology - a person's immediate reaction to a seemingly random question, word or statement reveals something about them - it's why the word-association test is used.

It could simply be that he thinks that she's not genuinely capable of recognising "goodness" for some reason.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TARDIS telepathic circuits!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    I wondered how many people understood the meaning this weekend when Clara switched from asking if she'd done well to asking if she'd done good. I think she was just being lazy with grammar but the Doctor clearly saw the difference.

Specifically, the Doctor wants Clara to realise there is a difference - that being successful is not the same as morally heroic.

It's definitely a common thread this series - one of the little things I quite liked in The Caretaker was that the Doctor didn't want to be interrupted in his 'work'. I don't think I've ever heard the Doctor refer to it like that before - such a pragmatic assessment of what he does. A duty and responsibility, rather than a diversion from fun.
    You want to know what's in that box? I'll tell you what's in that box. It's a time machine. It also travels in space. And it usually contains a man who just wants to get on with his work of preventing the end of the world, but keeps being interrupted by boring little humans.