Options

RATS in my Bathroom

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Morning all,
I have recently had a new bathroom fitted. The toilet itself has moved about a foot. The plumber used a flex pipe to attach the toilet to the existing sewer pipe.

All was fine, but one day there was a bad smell so we called the plumber, in moving the loo he discovered that the flex pipe had been gnawed. He explained that several large rats inside the sewers had made there way to our loo, and the smell of the new plastic pipe had enticed them there. Had we not called them the rats would have been running around the house by now.

A new flex has been put on, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time for them to come back. I here that there is some sort of foam that could be sprayed on the flex pipe then hardens, but can the rats eat through that as well?

Also I'm now worried that they will come up the toilet.

It has also been suggested to use a flapper valve would that work

Thanks
FS

Comments

• Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I had the exact same problem - right down to the toilet being moved when I recently had a new bathroom fitted!

They chewed through my flexi pipe which I then had replaced with another flexi pipe but they chewed through that too. I now have a solid plastic waste pipe because it's smooth on the inside as opposed to the flexi which is concertina-like and gives them something to grip onto while they gnaw.

What you need is a rodding cap in your drain (that's what the man from the council told me), which is a sort of non-return valve which allows stuff out into the sewers but nothing can come in.
  • Options
    RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek:

You've got me worried now - we're having our bathrooms redone as I type. I don't want rats appearing in my house because of it?!!:cry:
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Do you have ground floor bathrooms?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they have made it that far, they will more than likely have laid rat eggs. They will thrive on the warmth from your urine, and normally hatch within 2 weeks.

Most rat egg clutches can expect to produce up to 50 baby rats
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if they have made it that far, they will more than likely have laid rat eggs. They will thrive on the warmth from your urine, and normally hatch within 2 weeks.

Rats are mammals. Reptiles and birds lay eggs.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to look an idiot by posting it incase I was wrong. :)
  • Options
    RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear - I must be having a gullible day! Of course I knew that rats are mammals and don't lay eggs, but common sense went out the window and I still went :eek: at that!

The bathrooms we're getting re-done are upstairs (although we do have a downstairs loo thats not being touched) does this make a difference? One is an en-suite, I'm gonna make my hubby sleep on the side of the bed nearest that one for a while I think!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Razzylew wrote: »
    The bathrooms we're getting re-done are upstairs (although we do have a downstairs loo thats not being touched) does this make a difference?

I'd be surprised if they could climb up the inside of a wet plastic pipe.
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh I say, it made me feel queer reading it actually. I've never heard of this.

I would get onto somebody (in charge or who deals with this) and get your questions answers.

The thought of looking down the toilet and seeing one is actually making me feel quite queer.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank Gawd rats and mice don't bother me. If they did, I doubt I'd use the loo again after reading this thread.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my late M-I-L used to visit she always had this thing about putting the lid down on our toilets, which we seldom do.

She said that loads of people in her road had had rats come up the inside of the toilet. :eek::eek:
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    When my late M-I-L used to visit she always had this thing about putting the lid down on our toilets, which we seldom do.

She said that loads of people in her road had had rats come up the inside of the toilet. :eek::eek:

Send for Gino DeCampo for your next barbecue!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I need to change the Flex for a hard plastic.
    Until thats done I have been advised to coat the flex wit wire wool and use a foam to hold it together. Also they tell me to keep a bleach block in the systern and the smell will keep them away.
  • Options
    reggie88reggie88 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    There's a rat in the kitchen.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the 1st of April next week;

ttp://answers.encyclopedia.com/question/many-litters-do-rats-produce-year-95132.html

But one nasty thing is:
    Females Rats produce as many as 8 litters each year with as many as 20 young per litter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am gonna feast on rats
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Yes I need to change the Flex for a hard plastic.
    Until thats done I have been advised to coat the flex wit wire wool and use a foam to hold it together. Also they tell me to keep a bleach block in the systern and the smell will keep them away.

Wire wool is one of the few things they can't chew through.

When the plumber came to replace my second flexi pipe with the smooth one, he also found a hole in the floor in the corner, where they'd chewed and dug, so we filled it with loads of wire wool and expanding foam.
  • Options
    gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would literally sh!t my self if a rat appeared up my loo. Having only one loo i'd be in a bit of a predicament though.
  • Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    i would literally sh!t my self if a rat appeared up my loo. Having only one loo i'd be in a bit of a predicament though.

Don't worry, if you'd already shit yourself you wouldn't be needing the loo for a while.

Having said that, after reading this I am seriously contemplating abandoning my bog in favour of the back garden :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you tried flushing a cat down the toilet? They will get them pesky rats

either that, or add gelatine to the water in the tank. Next time you flush it will fill the pipe with jelly, they will never get through that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a problem with rats not so long ago so I sympathise. Mine got into the loft and I still can't bring myself to go in there. Somehow they got between the cavity wall and was alternating between my house and the neighbours.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D HeHe!.Nothing like a bit of healthy reassurance.Best laugh i've had all day.:)
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to look an idiot by posting it incase I was wrong. :)
    :D lol! lol! lol! lol! and once more.... lol¬! :p:D