Jurors Jailed for contempt of court

13»

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I was a witness in a magistrates court case down South a few years back and I swear one of the magistrates fell asleep. No-one seemed to mind. Probably just 'resting her eyes'. I do that a lot.

I used to work for the courts and one of our red judges regularly fell asleep during proceedings. He was in his 70s and after lunch he simply couldn't stay awake! All Counsel knew and used to make loud noises during the proceedings eg coughing, putting water glass down hard, speaking loudly into their microphones, in order to rouse him!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I used to work for the courts and one of our red judges regularly fell asleep during proceedings. He was in his 70s and after lunch he simply couldn't stay awake! All Counsel knew and used to make loud noises during the proceedings eg coughing, putting water glass down hard, speaking loudly into their microphones, in order to rouse him!

All three of these muppets looked to be in their 70s, although I'm not sure magistrates are allowed to be that old? However old is the maximum they're allowed to be - this lot were it.

Two of them seemed to have terrible receptive language difficulties, not understanding the simplest thing. Without the clerk of the court, I doubt anything would ever have got done with those 3 bozos.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    All three of these muppets looked to be in their 70s, although I'm not sure magistrates are allowed to be that old? However old is the maximum they're allowed to be - this lot were it.

Two of them seemed to have terrible receptive language difficulties, not understanding the simplest thing. Without the clerk of the court, I doubt anything would ever have got done with those 3 bozos.

You must retire at 70 when you're a magistrate! Judges used to be able to continue beyond that but now they share the same statutory retirement age as magistrates.