Creative wedding ideas

gqqgqq Posts: 626
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to pick everyone's brains about bespoke and creative ideas to make a wedding feel and have that extra wow factor or added value, where guests can go home impressed.

Naturally you will ask whats your budget, and for weddings the sky is your limit so I am told very often :p. Obviously nothing ridiculous cost wise. Hundreds rather than thousands. We already have all the main things sorted, I'm just looking for those extra special touches to complete the day.

Suggestions could include anything at all. Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) x

Comments

• starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    a person in a big furry animal costume, for the kids and also adults to dance with, get photos with after a few drinks.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you got little gifts for the guests? Something bespoke can be nice. Like make little jams and get labels off eBay with `mrs gqq`s strawberry jam` and the date of your wedding on.

You could go out looking for seasonal wildflowers and use them in your table design.

I went to a wedding recently that had a photobooth there and guests took photos in it to add to their guestbook signature.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give out sparklers as favours.

Have a projector beam pics on a wall through the evening, baby photos,embarassing photos first date, family pets.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you search for wedding threads on here there are lots and lots of good ideas already given - some of which I contributed, but can't be bothered to re-type!
    Forum Member
    First dance - rather than a popular song, have the theme of a TV show that you both liked when you were younger, or was on when you met.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My younger son was married in the Bridge Master's quarters on Tower Bridge, and the reception was held on the top walkway between the two bascules.
    The photos were taken on the grassy area by City Hall, some with H.M.S. Belfast in the background, some with the Tower of London on the opposite bank, and some with Tower Bridge itself.
    No idea of the total cost, but he had hit me for a few grand some weeks before the wedding.
    (That's what Dads are for, and I love my boys.)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Creative things only really work when its something personal to the people getting married.

When i get married im having the same vows as a wedding featured in one of our favourite tv shows. Granted we wont have guests seeing it, but its something to mix things up a bit rather than have the standard vows everyone else that day will have.

It only works because we both loved the show so it suits us. Obviously i wouldnt recommend it to anyone else as it would seem a bit weird.

Its all well and good people suggesting things but what sort of things are you as a couple into? The jam idea is something creative that ive never seen before but if the couple are young, city loving party people then it might be a bit odd that suddenly they are making jam. But if the bride is into baking etc then it would add something special and personalised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what cars you have arranged, but we just had a very posh wedding in our village and every arrived in a fleet of VW camper vans, the bride and groom one with a champagne holder in the back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as been said the new thing is the photo booth idea.. That really fun

http://www.cocophotobooths.co.uk
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Creative things only really work when its something personal to the people getting married.

When i get married im having the same vows as a wedding featured in one of our favourite tv shows. Granted we wont have guests seeing it, but its something to mix things up a bit rather than have the standard vows everyone else that day will have.

It only works because we both loved the show so it suits us. Obviously i wouldnt recommend it to anyone else as it would seem a bit weird.

Its all well and good people suggesting things but what sort of things are you as a couple into? The jam idea is something creative that ive never seen before but if the couple are young, city loving party people then it might be a bit odd that suddenly they are making jam. But if the bride is into baking etc then it would add something special and personalised.

This is VERY sound advice. OP, you should be thinking about things that are quirky and different because they are personal to you and your partner. If you approach it from the point of view of trying to impress your guests, it'll come across as pretentious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Join Pinterest, Ive had lots of ideas from there for our wedding :)
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »

I agree with this. It's quite difficult for people to give you ideas IMO as they will be very varied and what's considered 'creative' to one person isn't to another (for example a lot of suggestions I see as being fairly run of the mill/not that unusual).
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    having got married this summer the things that people went home talking about was (other than the usual dress etc) was the food and how well the day was organised and what a lovely setting it was. If you have all that then the "creative extras" aren't I feel needed they won't be remembered.

We thought of all these things that we could do but in the end, time and money wasn't on our side. We didn't have a day to ourselves the week before the wedding, we were running about until 7pm the night before and my husband was running about until an hour before on the day.
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try watching Don`t tell the bride, You will get alot of ideas there ;)
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    What about photos of the parents of the bride and groom, and the grandparents of the bride and groom displayed somewhere?

At a recent wedding this was a lovely talking point
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of that stuff matters. Only the vows.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from a very big family with a big circle of family friends so there's a wedding almost every weekend. The bits I enjoyed:

- a couple's art-student friends volunteered to sketch guests during their wedding reception. One student excelled at drawing caricatures, which prompted hilarity among some guests.

- a couple left a glass bowl of Scrabble letters in the middle of each table for guests to have fun in spelling out messages and whatnot. There were two tipsy guests who collected all bowls to take part in the rudest-word competition. It was fun.

- a couple had a wallpaper strip of photographs of themselves at various ages as well as relatives and friends. It broke the ice for guests who didn't know each other.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Just remember there's a difference between creative, gimmicky and tacky.

A wedding I went to recently (despite actually hating weddings), had handmade cup-cakes with the guests' names on instead of cards on the table at the reception. It was a nice little touch and became instantly personal to the guests.

One wedding I went to that was gimmicky was a wedding that attempted to have a kind of 'celebrity' feel. Apart from the whole thing being overdone (they could have probably paid off their mortgage), they also hired a group of photographers who were like papparazi for the wedding reception. It was awful. I don't like a camera pointed at me at the best of times, but for about 4 hours I had to endure cameras being pointed at me. I'm trying to relax and talk to someone and I've got some idiot taking photos of me.

Something that's becoming fairly tacky at the moment is the Downton Abbey/Mr Selfridge weddings. You can spot them a mile off because it looks like an impromptu vintage car and bus rally. Where I live in Nottingham isn't too far from Rufford Abbey, and quite frequently you see the cars and bus driving in for the photo opportunity (to be fair it is a beautiful place with lovely grounds). The first time I saw it I went "Oh that's cool!", now it seems everyone and their dog is doing it and it just looks tacky.

One of the most memorable weddings I went to was of two friends who were into LARP (live action roleplay where you dress up as knights and stuff and hit people with foam swords), which was how they met. They actually had a dress code stuff you'd see at a LARP event, and the wedding reception was in a big tent with boar roasts and mead and everything. There were some people who just turned up in normal wedding attire, but almost everyone made an effort and I think that helped people talk because the outfits were discussion points. The thing that made the wedding fun was because it completely failed to take itself remotely seriously, the guests were all interacting in some way and it was just a lot of fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I recently went to a beautiful happy wedding. There were a few extra touches that were rather lovely.
    On each table the centre pieces, bowl of flowers, feathers and crystals the centre pieces all had a label with the name of a gemstone on. Both the bride and groom worked in a jewellery shop, but the theme could be anything.
    Each guest also had a table place card at their allocated seat. On the back of only one of those place cards per table was a smiley face. Whichever guest had the smiley face on the back of their place card got to keep and take home the table centre piece from their table.
    Another lovely little touch was a bowl of round shaped after dinner mints all wrapped with labels on top saying "thank you for coming to our wedding." I believe you can get these labels at low cost from internet sites. You buy the mints yourself and stick the round labels on. In this case they were Thorntons chocolate mints.
    Forum Member
    After the vows, play this song and begin to slowly undress and dance (just the main wedding party)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBvbrXNjs0
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter recently got married and we had, as others have suggested, a photobooth - it was really great fun, load of costumes, you could go back as many times as you wanted, the machine made two print copies, one for an album for the bride and groom and one for the people in the picture.

It was a huge hit.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things that have been done to death at weddings .....

Cupcake anything
    Vintage china
    Laura Ashley style bunting
    Sugared almonds wrapped in net