Anyone else miss the Sugababes?

tim18tim18 Posts: 737
Forum Member
✭✭
Its been years since we have seen the sugababes and i was listening to some of their singles and albums which were fantastic! ( especially angels with dirty faces!)

Its such a shame how they ended with a flop and bad press :(

Anyone else miss them? And which lineup?

My best to worst-
mutya keisha heidi
Amelle keisha heidi
Mutya keisha siobhan
Amelle jade heidi

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I miss them! I absolutely loved them. Their first 3 albums along with Catfights and Spotlights (terrible title!) get regular play on my iPod! :D

Best line up is Mutya, Keisha and Heidi. They were never the same after Mutya left, and I really never warmed to Amelle. She always struck me as being their for the fame as opposed to the music. Poor Jade never had a chance though!
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the Sugababes heaps, they are my favourite girl band of all time. I thought the 2.0 lineup was best (Mutya, Keisha and Heidi), though I didn't mind 3.0 as 'About You Now' is one of my favourite singles from them. It's such a shame how they ended, I think the Sugababes pretty much ended when Keisha left as the chemistry with Jade wasn't there. Which is a shame as I think the Sugagbabes were one of the best groups in recent years and they had a distinct sound that defiantly made sound very different from other girl groups, like Girls Aloud or Atomic Kitten (thank god Heidi left Atomic :D)

It's sad the way they ended and I think Heidi and Amelle got a bit too much bad publicity but it's a good thing that Amelle and Heidi didn't take anymore of Keisha's bullying as it could have ended a lot worse, sad how Mutya took Keisha's side too :(

Tbh I get a bit annoyed when people say that Heidi wasn't an original member, especially since she's been the longest out of the whole band, it wasn't until she joined the Sugababes that they got the success it deserved and Mutya, Keisha and Heidi's voices rubbed along nicely and they seemed to get along well as it always looked very tense when Siobhan was in the group.

I doubt MKS are going to go very far, if anyone does buy their music or see their concert I think it will be more for novelly reasons.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I really do miss the Sugababes, probably my favourite UK act of the 00s, and I'm talking all line-ups.

They released some real pop classics like Freak, Round Round, Hole In The Head, Push The Button and their ballads were brilliant. All six girls can sing which is a rarity in girl groups lol.

And I agree about Heidi too. She got thrown under the bus by Mutya after the Keisha situation and I hate that after all those years (where lets be honest, nobody gave a shit about the original line-up) she was reduced to simply being a replacement by fans and the media.

I remember just after MKS announced their re/formation, my local radio station started constantly pushing how great the original line-up was, they were the best line-up and then followed up that line by playing Freak, Too Lost In You and About You Now one after the other which show just how bothered they were.

Though to be fair, the same DJ was bleating on about Robbie re-joining Take That, how what they've done since he left wasn't good enough then played Rule The World so I don't think he's that clever :D
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I really like the final line up, such a shame we never got more from them :(
    All the sweet 7 singles went top 10 even though the album did not do so well.

I think they could have done another album with the right production.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't miss the last incarnation of the Sugababes that much but the earlier versions particularly v 2.0 with Keisha, Mutya and Heidi were great. I like all the albums up to 'Change'.

They have a great vocal sound and produced some very diverse and innovatory sounds in the early to mid 00s. Probably the girl group I listen to the most and the best of the modern UK girl groups.

I treasure my signed copy of 'Three' :) and diva or not I think Keisha is one of the prettiest women in pop music.

And I don't think the story is over quite yet...
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss them in their 2002 - 2005 heyday.

Not so much otherwise. I don't get the hype for MKS either and it seems most don't either.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    The whole thing seems destined to become some sort of dramatised movie - pop group form, change one of their members, become huge, change another member, remain huge with some cracks in the group showing, change their last original member and become an irrelevance, original group reforms. Except in this version they'd make up a fictional MKS/Sugababes chart battle, and the two groups meeting at Glastonbury for a final showdown. Catfights and Spotlights: The Movie, expect to see it on BBC Four in a few years with Michael Sheen or Benedict Cumberbatch playing Heidi or something.

I'm with what seems to be a majority view - for me it's Keisha, Heidi and Mutya, with no scorn meant to Siobhan but 'Freak Like Me' was and will always remain bloody brilliant and what introduced me to them as a 13 year old. But then, as mentioned, 'About You Now' deserves to be included in their imperial phase even if it's the start of the Amelle era.

Anyone else really enjoy Mutya's brief solo career too? Was relistening to them recently and 'Song 4 Mutya' in particular is astonishingly good, mostly the work of Groove Armada but it's like every 80s pop group you can imagine playing behind her at once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't miss the group, but I do still enjoy the music from Angels - Change. Was never a fan of their debut tbh
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Mutya, Keisha, Heidi was a great lineup but Jade is my favourite member.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I miss them, they were one of the best girlbands of the 00s. My favourite lineup was Mutya, Keisha and Heidi. I think they kinda went downhill after Change. Catfights and Spotlight was a terrible album IMO. The last lineup had potential but there was nothing distinctive or "Sugababes" about their music to be honest. Their album could have been easily recorded by The Saturdays or Girls Aloud and Get Sexy was a terrible single choice.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss them but have found their albums have not aged well at all.
    Despite what occured behind the scenes and the many line up changes, i consider them as one of my fav girlbands and my fav british girlband of all time.
    Forum Member
    I miss them, they were one of the best girlbands of the 00s. My favourite lineup was Mutya, Keisha and Heidi. I think they kinda went downhill after Change. Catfights and Spotlight was a terrible album IMO. The last lineup had potential but there was nothing distinctive or "Sugababes" about their music to be honest. Their album could have been easily recorded by The Saturdays or Girls Aloud and Get Sexy was a terrible single choice.

I think the thing that annoys me about fans reaction to Sweet 7 (people saying they weren't Sugababes, the album wasn't a Sugababes album and they had killed the Sugababes) was a lot of people seemed to ignore that the album, with the exception of Crash and Burn, was going to be released with Keisha still in the band.

To be clear though, not saying you're doing that lol but the reaction to Sweet 7 was ridiculous at times. Especially when a year later, they were about to release what was arguably the most Sugababes-esque single in years with Freedom.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I hate is the stick Heidi and Amelle get, they were both lovely and bought so much to the group, Heidi for me, IS the Sugababes, and Amelle added some spice to the group, her voice was distinctive and her look was sexy, something the group hadn't had until then. And her joining didn't ruin the group, they were successful for a whole 3 years after she joined, it was only after they released the criminally underrated Catfights that they started going downhill, Keisha obviously got paranoid after the flop and took it out of Heidi and Amelle.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not anymore, I do wish MKS would be honest about what is going on with them
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    What I hate is the stick Heidi and Amelle get, they were both lovely and bought so much to the group, Heidi for me, IS the Sugababes, and Amelle added some spice to the group, her voice was distinctive and her look was sexy, something the group hadn't had until then. And her joining didn't ruin the group, they were successful for a whole 3 years after she joined, it was only after they released the criminally underrated Catfights that they started going downhill, Keisha obviously got paranoid after the flop and took it out of Heidi and Amelle.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I've said before there are two members that have a claim to the Sugababes and they are Heidi and Keisha. Siobhan lost her claim to the band when she climbed out of that window (surely that can't be true lol) and Mutya did the same when she quit at what was possibly one of the vital times in Sugababes history.

Heidi might not have been an original member but she had so much more of an impact on the success of the group than Siobhan ever did. And I believe Amelle had a big impact on the group too, again more than Siobhan did.

Keisha knew that Heidi was more important to Sugababes when she said in 2006 "When Heidi joined the band, that's when we became THE Sugababes" and I believe deep down, she still believes that to be the case. She's never bad mouthed Heidi like she did "the other girl" AKA Siobhan and to an extent Mutya.
  • Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't miss them but my fav singles from them are from the later timeslot: Easy and Freedom (which should have been a massive top 3 hit)
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm missing MKS, I know that much. I went to see them in Bristol last autumn and they were brilliant! I always loved Sugababes 1.0 and 2.0 too. Heidi is great and they released some of their best music as 2.0. Amelle seems nice enough, and I don't mind some of the songs 3.0 recorded but already, by then, it no longer felt like Sugababes to me because Mutya's amazing voice was no longer there. To me she has such a distinctive voice that was a vital part of Sugababes sound. For me it wasn't the same when she left and Amelle joined, although like I said I like some of 3.0's songs, like Easy, Red Dress and About You Now. Couldn't stand the Catfights album though and by the time 4.0 came around I just lost all interest as it was a totally different band to me. A very generic sounding one, without any of the original sounding, distinctive songs they'd had in the past. Jade has a great voice but she just wasn't a Sugababe to me. It's a shame she hasn't had a successful solo career. Not keen on Sweet 7 at all. Like I said it was so generic and dull sounding and I don't think Keisha still being with them would have made it any more enjoyable an album for me. I just don't care for the songs on it, whoever is singing them.

My favourite Sugababes albums are definitely; One Touch, Three, Taller In More Ways (original Mutya version) and Angels With Dirty Faces, in that order. I quite like Change although not crazy about it. The other 2 albums I don't care for at all.

I just wish MKS would hurry up and bring out this album they recorded, if they ever will! I'm beginning to doubt it. I mean, one single release, over a year ago now and nothing else. I don't care whether they change their name to Sugababes or keep MKS, I just want to hear the music!

Btw, I adored Siobhan as a solo artist too and have both her albums and all her singles. Her solo music is stunning, imo. But I love her with Keisha and Mutya too. Their voices blend so well together.

As for those who say they love 2.0. but not 1.0. must mean they only really like Heidi as 1.0 is 2/3rd's the same group! It's still Mutya and Keisha in both versions of the group! Actually I think a 5.0. of Sugababes featuring a Mutya, Keisha, Siobhan AND Heidi four-piece would be brilliant. :)

I think Sugababes (1.0. and 2.0.) were one of the best groups of the 00's, for me coming a close second to Girls Aloud. Girls Aloud will always be my favourite girl group, with the most stunning collection of classic pop songs.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Touch & Taller in more Ways are both fantastic albums. (Albeit very different).
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were like Bananarama - started off ok but got blander with each album.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss them and I honestly think enough time has passed now that people would welcome 4.0 returning without all the bitchiness especially after the disaster that has been MKS' 3 year launch to nothingness.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I loved the 2.0, 3.0 and even the 4.0 line-up. Get Sexy, About You Now and About a Girl were my jams.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    sweet 7 was their weakest album but had two hidden good tracks - crash and burn; thank you for the heartbreak
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    sweet 7 was their weakest album but had two hidden good tracks - crash and burn; thank you for the heartbreak

I always liked Sweet & Amazing. It doesn't compare to their earlier stuff, but it really stood out on Sweet 7 to me. Very nice melody.

To be honest i've not listened to Sweet 7 in ages - probabbly a few months after it came out. I might give it another listen. :D

As a side note though, aside from 'Angels With Dirty Faces', why did all of their albums have such terrible or unimaginative titles. :o
    Forum Member
    I agree with what a lot of people have said before, Sweet 7 wasn't a bad album, it just wasn't a Sugababes album. There were bad songs like 'Miss Everything' and 'Give It To Me Now' but I thought the rest of the album was quite good.

And they definitely picked the wrong singles. I love Wear My Kiss but I don't think it was single worthy. I would have gone, had Keisha remained in the band:

About A Girl (August)
    No More You (November)
    Thank You For The Heartbreak (February)
    Sweet & Amazing (May)

With Jade, I probably would have switched No More You for Crash & Burn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Loved their old stuff, Three is definitely my favourite album from them. Used to listen to it all the time.