Options

Breaking news: Phones bend if you bend them

Comments

• Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Not really, no. I would have thought a smartphone was a device which a lot of people use regularly, not occasionally, which is why I mentioned it. And I didn't misquote anyone - I just asked Alan what he meant.

In hindsight, and after a quick Google, I'm thinking the context was a device which gets booted occasionally, rather than used occasionally.

Please define 'regulary' as a numeric value..
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you mean by "occasional device" - a device that people only use occasionally?
    Not really, no. I would have thought a smartphone was a device which a lot of people use regularly, not occasionally.

So you needed clarification of what occasionally meant!! but are then able to dismiss such a claim saying you think a smartphone is used regularly not occasionally.

Just pointless posts
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Sorry. : )
    I take my iPhone out of my pocket probably 100 times a day, give or take.
    That's "regular use".
    I use my iPad (currently) perhaps once a day to 2 days.
    That's "occasional use".
    Simple really.

Now trying to work out why I even typed this!

Yes, we all realise that. That is *precisely* why CP queried whether AW meant what he appeared to be saying as if he did it was nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    :D 100 times

So in a normal 16 hour day you take it out 6 times an hour, every 10 minutes. I refuse to belive you are that popular or are you just hoping someones rung you ;-)

do you not know that phones can be used for more than just phone calls in this modern day and age. You must live a sheltered life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, it was just that I had an epiphany regarding your argumentative style on these boards.

OK let's get this clear. AW made a statement saying phones came into the category of "occasional" use. CP was understandably confused by that, and rather than be rude and immediately call it nonsense he gave AW the chance to clarify.

What seems an argumentative style to me is people like yourself who wade into a conversation without reading the context and then be abusive.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you needed clarification of what occasionally meant!! but are then able to dismiss such a claim saying you think a smartphone is used regularly not occasionally.

Just pointless posts

No. I did not need clarification of what "occasionally" meant.

I asked Alan for clarification that he meant that smartphones were devices that people used occasionally.

Because I didn't think that they were.

I didn't realise any of this would prove difficult to follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes you need constant clarification on nearly every post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as I said, I'm not even sure that is what Alan meant. I don't often agree with Alan, but e does get technical sometimes which is why I thought he might have meant occasional boot device, in the context of the impact that would have with respect to RAM and multitasking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    do you not know that phones can be used for more than just phone calls in this modern day and age. You must live a sheltered life.

Someone upset you today have they.

But don't fret I am sure Mr D can appreciate a little banter ;-)
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    This thread is now officially "surreal".

Please carry on. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you need constant clarification on nearly every post.

Sure - if you ignore what I just said:

I did not need clarification of what "occasionally" meant.

I asked Alan for clarification that he meant that smartphones were devices that people used occasionally.

Because I didn't think that they were.

Why do you do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is now officially "surreal".

Please carry on. :)

It went south round about post 642.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Now lets get this clear... did you mean south or did you mean north? Or maybe even west or east?

I mean, we all know how easily confused you get. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now lets get this clear... did you mean south or did you mean north? Or maybe even west or east?

I mean, we all know how easily confused you get. :cool:

You're still not getting this, are you?

It was never about what "occasional" meant.

It was about whether or not it was reasonable to describe smartphones as devices which are only used occasionally.

Which is possibly moot anyway if that's not what Alan meant.

Fair enough if that wasn't clear the first time, but it should be clear now that it has been explained a few times.

So for all your smart arse sarcasm there actually are two possibilities here:

1. A device which is used occasionally.

2. A device which is booted occasionally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're still not getting this, are you?

It was never about what "occasional" meant.

It was about whether or not it was reasonable to describe smartphones as devices which are only used occasionally.

Which is possibly moot anyway if that's not what Alan meant.

Fair enough if that wasn't clear the first time, but it should be clear now that it has been explained a few times.

So for all your smart arse sarcasm there actually are two possibilities here:

1. A device which is used occasionally.

2. A device which is booted occasionally.

Ok, if you say so. :)

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

News at 11.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not protesting, I'm trying to explain something that should have been clear to begin with.

But good job of skipping over the fact that you're the one missing the point here.

Out of interest, and assuming Alan did mean that smartphones are only used occasionally, would you agree?
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not protesting, I'm trying to explain something that should have been clear to begin with.

But good job of skipping over the fact that you're the one missing the point here.

Out of interest, and assuming Alan did mean that smartphones are only used occasionally, would you agree?

Youre on a lost cause, give it up, people are just taking the p*ss out of this thread now.
    Wait a few days and there will be another thread in the mobile section the regulars with no life can turn into a personal thread :D;-):)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I was still pondering that 1GB Ram.

Could it be that Apple fully intended that this years attraction was to be the sapphire from GT, but now bankrupt GT was unable to fulfil requirement so pulled it last minute ?
    Saying that I sort of half expected the 5s to be the one to get sapphire. That would have been a clever way to avoid giving a price cut.

Yet how does sapphire react to a bent iPhone, be it visible or all those smaller bends you only notice by looking carefully ?
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well, I was still pondering that 1GB Ram.

Could it be that Apple fully intended that this years attraction was to be the sapphire from GT, but now bankrupt GT was unable to fulfil requirement so pulled it last minute ?
    Saying that I sort of half expected the 5s to be the one to get sapphire. That would have been a clever way to avoid giving a price cut.

Yet how does sapphire react to a bent iPhone, be it visible or all those smaller bends you only notice by looking carefully ?

I think it is very possible Apple pulled it at the last minute. Do you think the lack of sapphire explains to performance of the 6 in the videos? Otherwise I'm not sure what your initial refer to RAM was.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You see, I actually read what Alan said, and just to be sure I will quote his exact words. (NB. Notice that I'm not putting my own spin on his words, or misquoting, or putting what I thought he meant to say or any other things that will skew things towards my bias..... just thought I'd show you how normal people do this quoting malarkey ;-) ).
    I see the smartphone being as a far more simple basic foundational occasional device

Notice the part where he says 'I see' ?
    That infers that it is as far as he is concerned, pertaining to the way he sees and uses the device. In other words, for him the device is an occasional thing to use.

I don't think he is projecting that version of his understanding onto the rest of us, it's just his viewpoint, nothing more, nothing less.

So, you've got all bent out of shape because of your lack of comprehension regarding what someone has said.

Please try and pay more attention and these threads wouldn't go off at such a tangent. :)

1saintly wrote: »
    Youre on a lost cause, give it up, people are just taking the p*ss out of this thread now.
    Wait a few days and there will be another thread in the mobile section the regulars with no life can turn into a personal thread :D;-):)

Regulars with no life... hmmmm. I wonder who on these threads fits that particular description? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see, I actually read what Alan said, and just to be sure I will quote his exact words. (NB. Notice that I'm not putting my own spin on his words, or misquoting, or putting what I thought he meant to say or any other things that will skew things towards my bias..... just thought I'd show you how normal people do this quoting malarkey ;-) ).

Thank you - it is very kind of you to teach me what normal people do.

Out of interest though, what bias are you referring to here?
    Notice the part where he says 'I see' ?

Yes.
    That infers that it is as far as he is concerned, pertaining to the way he sees and uses the device. In other words, for him the device is an occasional thing to use.

Actually, no. "I see" merely indicates that what follows is Alan's view. I see says nothing about what that view is. It could be interpreted (inferred if you will), as being a reference to his phone, and his phone only.

But at the very least its ambiguous, and could just as easily refer to smartphones generally. Or to booting, rather than use.

Had Alan said:

I see my smartphone being as a far more simple basic foundational occasional (use) device

there would have been no ambiguity.

If you want to be pedantic here, had Alan wanted to refer to smartphones generally, are you saying that:

I see the smartphone being as a far more simple basic foundational occasional device

could not be taken to mean that?

And that's before the other possibility about it being an occasional boot device, which you are still ignoring.

On the subject of "what normal do".... most, by now, would have just acknowledged that yes, it probably was ambiguous now that you mention it.
    I don't think he is projecting that version of his understanding onto the rest of us, it's just his viewpoint, nothing more, nothing less.

So, you've got all bent out of shape because of your lack of comprehension regarding what someone has said.

Well, I asked Alan if that was what he meant. I'm not sure I'd describe that as getting "all bent out of shape". You do have a flair for the melodramatic! But from where I'm standing, if anyone appears to be getting bent out of shape, it isn't me.
    Please try and pay more attention and these threads wouldn't go off at such a tangent. :)

If anything took it off on a tangent, it has been the last few posts between us at your instigation.

But thank you for the good advice.

Incidentally, do you even know what patronise means?
    Regulars with no life... hmmmm. I wonder who on these threads fits that particular description? :cool:

Yes, its amazing what you conclusions you can jump to about people you know nothing about based on their posting history on a forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you - it is very kind of you to teach me what normal people do.

Out of ..... blah blah blah.. (deleted usual diatribe of circular nonsense....)

You're very welcome Calico, I'm glad you've learnt something from it. :cool:

Now, back on track, it seems the iphone 6 is not quite as bendy as the 6 plus, or even the moto X!

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, do you even know what patronise means?

Oops, I missed one...

Yes I do Calico, unfortunately I don't have the time to explain it to you myself in full detail so for now I'll refer you to a dictionary definition.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/patronise

If you're still struggling please don't hesitate to ask and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Once again... you're welcome. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're very welcome Calico, I'm glad you've learnt something from it. :cool:

Sure, I just can't quite put my finger on what though.

So. You've managed to ignore pretty much all of that post. And be rude into the bargain.

Certainly easier than saying which parts of it you disagreed with in any remotely constructive way.

Help me out with one thing though.

If someone wanted to say something about smartphones generally, are you saying they wouldnt be doing so if they said:

I see the smartphone....

Because that could only mean that person's smartphone, and not smartphones generally?
This discussion has been closed.