bbc receives complaints

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a164062/bbc-jackson-coverage-attracts-complaints.html

What is wrong with people?! - If you dont like it turn if off and read a book - its only a couple of hours out of your TV life - ...Jleeeesee.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    They can put the radio on instead, and just listen to him singing..Lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt even see it - I got in from work at about 7.30 and it was on - no-one was actually watching and I just turned it off and had a conversation with my husband - I certainly didnt not feel the need to email the Daily Mail.
  • airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it didn't really need to be on several channels, one would have done or keep the majority of the coverage exclusive to the rolling news services for those who want it.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I think the only reason it neded to be on multiple channels was for the commentaries.

Sky news had some stuffy journo ("apparently a young man called Usher's on later, he's very popular with today's youth") whilst BBC 2 has Trevor Nelson and Paul Gambaccini, two of the most knowledgable music broadcasters in the BBC. So I went with the latter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wonder if they got sky... 100's of channels to watch.

unless there was subliminal messages saying watch watch watch (did i spell it right, or even say it right)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morons, if they didn't want to watch it turn over. I can't stand wimbledon but accept it's on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    same here, i cant stand football and thats everywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The excessive coverage has been going on for weeks.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was only for one night.

The schedule was altered on a number of occasions for Wimbledon over the past couple of weeks. I don't have a problem with the changes to accommodate either of these events.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I'm still living in the dark ages with analogue terrestrial TV (and can't get Channel 5!) so very glad that it was on BBC2. The programmes it replaced were repeats anyway weren't they so not as if much was missed and it was stated that they will be shown at a later date.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did News24 have the same continual coverage as BBC2, or did they intertwine it with other news stories? I can see the need to cater for people who only have terrestrial channels and have no access to digital tv or the internet. But if the Beeb aired the same coverage simultaneously on two channels then I can see why people complained.
  • airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chippychip wrote: »
    I'm still living in the dark ages with analogue terrestrial TV

Is that out of choice or is your area not currently covered by Freeview until the switchover.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are allowed to complain if they wish, we all are. But agreed that coverage on the TV yesterday wasn't excessive.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did News24 have the same continual coverage as BBC2, or did they intertwine it with other news stories? I can see the need to cater for people who only have terrestrial channels and have no access to digital tv or the internet. But if the Beeb aired the same coverage simultaneously on two channels then I can see why people complained.

Both BBC News and BBC Two ran uninterrupted coverage, but with two separate commentary teams.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member

AFAIK the pictures were the same on every channel, just with different commentaries.
  • FreshCreamFreshCream Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I was pretty gutted actually as there was a show that was supposed to be on at 8pm that looked good about brits abroad and couldn't watch it because this gong show was on instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    airwaves wrote: »
    Is that out of choice or is your area not currently covered by Freeview until the switchover.
    Out of laziness probably. I have a freeview box but can't pick up a signal and no one's tried to rectify the problem. We don't watch a lot of TV anyway so not that bothered at the moment.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Both BBC News and BBC Two ran uninterrupted coverage, but with two separate commentary teams.

Thanks for that. Unnecessary to take over two channels. Other events were going on yesterday, 7/7 memorial and the premier of the new Harry Potter movie. All equally important in their individual way.
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    AFAIK the pictures were the same on every channel, just with different commentaries.

Thank you.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like his life, the coverage was OTT, but there you go and it's done now. But viewers have the right to complain, just like the OP who complained about the viewers who complained ...
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Millions more people wanted to see it rather than didnt so sod the moaners its a few hours out of their lives and i pay my licence fee too!
  • mujajimujaji Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surreyfrog wrote: »
    Like his life, the coverage was OTT, but there you go and it's done now. But viewers have the right to complain, just like the OP who complained about the viewers who complained ...

That's correct.;):cool:
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I think the only reason it neded to be on multiple channels was for the commentaries.

Sky news had some stuffy journo ("apparently a young man called Usher's on later, he's very popular with today's youth") whilst BBC 2 has Trevor Nelson and Paul Gambaccini, two of the most knowledgable music broadcasters in the BBC. So I went with the latter.

I only caught the 1st 15mins or so PG & TN were hilarious. They were trying to fill in the huge gaps while everything got going. PG was talking in hushed reverential tones and spouting random sales figures of records. The best bit was after a period of nothing happening TN says apparently this is actually meant to be a moment of silence for MJ. So PG says lets have some silence here as well then and then after about 5 secs a producer must have said we can't have this just broadcasting not saying anyting so TN pipes up again with another inane comment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Theres so many moaning gits out there.

I'm not a great fan of certain BBC programmes, but I don't go complaining. I just turn over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    layne wrote: »
    Morons, if they didn't want to watch it turn over. I can't stand wimbledon but accept it's on.

Exactly. It was a one-off, on for about 2 hours. It didn't disrupt the schedules for weeks on end like Wimbledon does. If you don't like tennis (like me) you just find something else to watch while it's on, surely they could have found something else to watch for all of 2 hours?

It was a big event, loads of people would have been watching, they probably wanted in on the event and to poach as many viewers as possible - even if it's identical to what's being shown on other channels.
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that annoyed me was on the BBC News 24 coverage - at the end the reporter started doing a voice over and didn't stop his jibber jabber until well into Jermaine Jackson's speech.

I was screaming SHUT THE **** UP at the TV but he wouldn't stop. :rolleyes: