[Got To Dance] Ashley Banjo Appreciation Thread

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
Forum Member
Ok, I'll start it off. :)

The guy's got a lot going for him.

Can dance (obviously! :D), is smart (doing a Physics degree), is good looking and he's a nice guy. I recall all his plaudits for SuBo when she was suffering.

Shows a black guy can be 'street' without being a trouble maker!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's just woooow.

:o Sorry, I lose 25 years when looking at Ashley.

What's not to love? Athletic, creative, drop dead gorgeous and studying law........perfect.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    I'm in :) He's beautiful.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a nice guy. Talented and intelligent. Also I like the fact that he seems to have his head screwed on - he said after Diversity won BGT that he recognised the value of his education and having something to fall back on. And he gave examples of people who had turned their lives around after attending his mother's dance school.

I think he needs to improve on his articulation/communication skills on TV though. He doesn't seem as good at making a point as the other judges are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    muppeteer wrote: »
    Seems like a nice guy. Talented and intelligent. Also I like the fact that he seems to have his head screwed on - he said after Diversity won BGT that he recognised the value of his education and having something to fall back on. And he gave examples of people who had turned their lives around after attending his mother's dance school.

I think he needs to improve on his articulation/communication skills on TV though. He doesn't seem as good at making a point as the other judges are.

I'm not sure that it's doing it on TV that is the problem. I think he is a naturally quiet guy and also he is in awe of the other two. Not only because of their fame but their success and obvious knowledge. With respect to Ashley he is an amateur compared to these two and I think he is still trying to find his comfort ground where he can talk without thinking am I making myself sound silly and out of my depth.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that it's doing it on TV that is the problem. I think he is a naturally quiet guy and also he is in awe of the other two. Not only because of their fame but their success and obvious knowledge. With respect to Ashley he is an amateur compared to these two and I think he is still trying to find his comfort ground where he can talk without thinking am I making myself sound silly and out of my depth.

Thats a good point actually, he has not been well known for very long and probably has a way to go and more confidence to gain.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I've said elsewhere that despite his high level of education he's not that articulate and being a reality show judge where you've got to make short incisive comments exposes him even more. And yes, he's been in the public eye for less than a year unlike the other two. But he's still young and we all (well most of us!) improve as we get older.

The footballer Ian Wright, who had far less verbal skills than Ashley, used to be terrible when he first started on Match of the Day but look at him now. He can host his own shows.
  • TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    I'm so happy for Ashley. He is doing really well in his new - and very well deserved - celebrity status.

I hope he continues to learn, develop and grow from strength to strength. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing Diversity last night I thought I'd go on Youtube and rewatch their auditions and performances on BGT and I have to say they all seem a great bunch of lads but Ashley is without doubt an absolutely decent guy. He shows youngsters that you can be nice as well as being cool and he obviously has compassion too when you see what he said about SB.
    Such a talented bunch of people.

Good luck to them, I can't wait to see the Streetdance movie coming out later in the year and seeing Diversity and Flawless in that.
    Forum Member
    Samsara wrote: »
    After seeing Diversity last night I thought I'd go on Youtube and rewatch their auditions and performances on BGT and I have to say they all seem a great bunch of lads but Ashley is without doubt an absolutely decent guy. He shows youngsters that you can be nice as well as being cool and he obviously has compassion too when you see what he said about SB.
    Such a talented bunch of people.

Good luck to them, I can't wait to see the Streetdance movie coming out later in the year and seeing Diversity and Flawless in that.

Oh dear that sounds bad. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Saw the preview on Saturday, it looks pretty good. :) depends what's your thing really doesn't it
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, I intend going to see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in!

Ashley's the main reason I started watching the show. He's beautiful to watch both on and off the stage :o:)

I thought Diversity's performance last night was absolutely brilliant, and reminded me why they deserved to win BGT.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,643
    Forum Member
    Gorgeous, talented, creative, bright, polite, good with kids, very charismatic - what's not to like?
    Forum Member
    Last night's performance reminded me why they deserved to win BGT over Susan Boyle. :) Annoyed the hell out of me when I read the paper after BGT Final and Diversity were barely mentioned, all about Susan Boyle and how she didn't win.:rolleyes: Bet the other dance crews were nervous watching Diversity! :eek::D
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Gorgeous, talented, creative, bright, polite, good with kids, very charismatic - what's not to like?

Totally agree with all that :D
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Totally agree with all that :D

Me too :)
    Forum Member
    Samsara wrote: »
    Saw the preview on Saturday, it looks pretty good. :) depends what's your thing really doesn't it

I'm old enough to remember some of the films made to appeal to certain demographics. When BMX was big they decided to make BMX Bandits. When they did dance ones they were rubbish as wel. It's really hard to write a decent story around hobbies.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »

Erm.. ah, I've got one! He says "I'm not being funny" here - it may be petty but I hate that phrase.
    He was only 16 though (doesn't look it at all :eek:) so we can let him off :p
    mimicole wrote: »
    Annoyed the hell out of me when I read the paper after BGT Final and Diversity were barely mentioned, all about Susan Boyle and how she didn't win.:rolleyes:

Things like this really wind me up - I think most of the media are trying to forget Diversity ever existed.
    A few months ago Simon was on the news being interviewed, and the man who was introducing the piece said something like "And we find out how he's dealing with Britain's Got Talent winner, Susan Boyle."
    Words cannot express how angry I was :o
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashley was just on BBC Breakfast talking about this.

So, there's no excuse for not being able to dance like Diversity.:D
    Forum Member
    -Jade" wrote: »
    Erm.. ah, I've got one! He says "I'm not being funny" here - it may be petty but I hate that phrase.
    He was only 16 though (doesn't look it at all :eek:) so we can let him off :p

Things like this really wind me up - I think most of the media are trying to forget Diversity ever existed.
    A few months ago Simon was on the news being interviewed, and the man who was introducing the piece said something like "And we find out how he's dealing with Britain's Got Talent winner, Susan Boyle."

I can't stand simon cowell. Susan is the winner to him because she's made him a ton of money. No other reason. He's up for villain of the year at the NME awards :D
    Forum Member
    -Jade" wrote: »

Of course they won, but Susan is the bigger star and celebrity. What he is doing with Susan is no different to what he does with Leona. How he loves going on and on and on about that girl.

Susan is an international star/celebrity. She has had a number one album around the world. What have Diversity done close to her? Yes they won BGT bbut other than that?
    They beat her in the final but has the US rushed to get them over on Letterman etc? Nope.

The problem Diversity has is they are boring. TV is influenced by the papers and how much exposure they get. For exaample if the papers weren't priniting katie proce/Jordan stories all the time would she have got on TV as much?
    For the newspapers to get interested in Diversity they are going to have to do something interesting and that is likely to be only a couple of things.

1) They split and someone sells a story to the paper.
    2) Sex (either underage sex or from a kiss and tell loser )
    3) One of them starts dating someone famous
    4) Drugs shocker

How quickly did the media lose interest in Paul Potts? A quiet guy that's married, doesn't go out boozing, doesn't turn up at lots of premieres, no scandal. To the media he is a dull person.

On top of all that where can Diversity actually go on TV to keep their profile up?
    This show, SCD (dance show) SYTYCD (dance show and assuming Aslhely leaves this) and......? Ant & Dec's Takeway.. I guess. There is a servere lack of openings for variety acts of any sort.
    You also have to allow for the fact that unlike singers, they don't have things to plug. Susan releases her next single she can go on shows and sing/mime of Loose Women, GMTV etc. If she doesn't they show the video.
    How does that translate to dance acts? Diversity has a new routine lets get them on lots of our shows to show us it. I really can't see it.
    Promote a tour then maybe one would get on the sofa and chat, certainly not all of them and highly unlikely they would get asked to perform it.
    If Darcy Bussell, Waybe Sleep etc is on This Morning do they say they're going to dance for uslater like they do with singers? Nope they just sit on the sofa and show an old clip.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks if Matthew Koon does win. He may get invited on GMTV, Loose Women etc. Will they ask him to dance/perform like they would a singer or would they just sit down and talk to him and rely on a clip from this show?
    I think it will be the latter.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Yes Diversity as a group will always be limited in their fame. They've got the Street Dance movie out this year but after that you wonder where can they go. But Ashley could well end up becoming a big celebrity in his own right. A TV co-presenter may be?!

I'm sure his opinion will be sought on any spectacular street dance groups that might turn up on BGT. Although it seems to me those groups have targeted this show as many are already champions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm old enough to remember some of the films made to appeal to certain demographics. When BMX was big they decided to make BMX Bandits. When they did dance ones they were rubbish as wel. It's really hard to write a decent story around hobbies.

If they cou;d do something like Fame or Flashdance it would be good. But I mostly agree, BMX Bandits and Gleaming the Cube (skateboarding) were crap.

:o I'd go though, just to see Ashley.
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    If they cou;d do something like Fame or Flashdance it would be good. But I mostly agree, BMX Bandits and Gleaming the Cube (skateboarding) were crap.

:o I'd go though, just to see Ashley.

Tally! :(

Why did you have to remind me of Gleaming the Cube? Couldn't you just shove a cactus up my bum it's less painful.
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Yes Diversity as a group will always be limited in their fame. They've got the Street Dance movie out this year but after that you wonder where can they go. But Ashley could well end up becoming a big celebrity in his own right. A TV co-presenter may be?!

I'm sure his opinion will be sought on any spectacular street dance groups that might turn up on BGT. Although it seems to me those groups have targeted this show as many are already champions.

If he relaxes in front of the camera possibly. But, where does that leave Diversity?
    The more TV work as well as TV and personal appearances he makes the more distractions from the group. Eventually he wiil walk away and the group could fold unless they have another person to replace him with his originality.