Options

Joseph Kony Internet Campaign

TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I don't normally post YouTube vids and the such but I thought you'd need to see this.

Joseph Kony is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader and head of the Lord's Resistance Army. He has been kidnapping (an estimated 30,000) kids and turning them in to soldiers or sex slaves.

A HUGE internet campaign is now underway to raise awareness of his crimes and aid his arrest. More information can be found by watching this video, sharing it, and possibly donating if you feel you can.

It's quite long, but well worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

http://www.kony2012.com

Comments

• Options
    Anne DroydAnne Droyd Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Tens of thousands of Australians are rapidly throwing their support behind the Kony 2012 campaign to bring down the African terrorist group, the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA).

An outpouring of social media support was gaining momentum on Facebook and Twitter on Wednesday night, sparked by a documentary from US humanitarian group Invisible Children to “make Joseph Kony famous” for enslaving and killing Ugandan children. "

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8431494
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have a watch later promise...but I saw some of the documentary and it did catch my interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I will have a watch later promise...but I saw some of the documentary and it did catch my interest.

It's totally worth the 30 minutes out of your day. A very worth while campaign :)
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this video this morning, no way am I not doing anything about it, THIS MAN SHOULD BE AS FAMOUS AS HITLER!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this video this morning, no way am I not doing anything about it, THIS MAN SHOULD BE AS FAMOUS AS HITLER!

Nice work :) Even if you can't donate or get the kit, even sharing the video helps!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I love how fast it has spread. We may actual achieve something here, STOP JOSEPH KONY!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting article here via @timminchin. Quite a complex situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I saw this last night and I've shared the link on my twitter feed and on my blog. It seems to be spreading like wildfire which is great.
  • Options
    SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so this is the crap thats been filling up my Twitter timeline then.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it today & just posted a thread myself. I suspect it'll get merged into this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »

Yeah, I just had a read through that. There are quite a few anti-movement sites, a lot of them respected sociologists etc. I think if this campaign gets going, which it looks like it has, it'll highlight a lot of other issues, which can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really interested but I don't think my manager would allow me to spend 30 mins on youtube, so I will watch tonight.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to link to this article here, whilst we're at it...
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an e-petition on the government website

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30939

as always 100,000 signatures needed for a commons debate on it.

If social media truly works then I'm sure that can be accomplished

Seems from the video that they've been lobbying their politicians very hard on this in the US - but I'd never heard of him before today so it needs to get into the public conciousness here in the UK too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theARE wrote: »
    There's an e-petition on the government website

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30939

as always 100,000 signatures needed for a commons debate on it.

If social media truly works then I'm sure that can be accomplished

Seems from the video that they've been lobbying their politicians very hard on this in the US - but I'd never heard of him before today so it needs to get into the public conciousness here in the UK too

Thanks for the link :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Thanks for the link :)

No probs - in the last hour or so it's gone from around 500 signatures to nearly 1,500

Share the link on any social media you may have. I don't know what politicians can actually do - but the more people sign such a petition the more chance the story will get picked up by the national media, and more people will here about what's going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theARE wrote: »
    No probs - in the last hour or so it's gone from around 500 signatures to nearly 1,500

Share the link on any social media you may have. I don't know what politicians can actually do - but the more people sign such a petition the more chance the story will get picked up by the national media, and more people will here about what's going on.

I noticed that, just been keeping an eye on it! Have plastered it everywhere :)
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »

Indeed, and I wonder whether something like this can oversimplify it somewhat? Not that awareness isn't a good thing, but it's gonna take more than a few posters and changing your Facebook profile picture to change anything.

This is a good Twitter account (https://twitter.com/#!/texasinafrica) which offers a different perspective. As with everything it's good to have an informed opinion on these things. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually quite disugsting how many people don't give a **** until it spreads like wildfire on social networking sites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Indeed, and I wonder whether something like this can oversimplify it somewhat? Not that awareness isn't a good thing, but it's gonna take more than a few posters and changing your Facebook profile picture to change anything.

This is a good Twitter account (https://twitter.com/#!/texasinafrica) which offers a different perspective. As with everything it's good to have an informed opinion on these things. :)

Thanks again for the link, am having a scan through here, plus some of the links they've posted. I can't help but sometimes feel that once something seemingly good happens online, literally around the corner there is someone waiting to destroy it. I agree with a lot of things Texas In Africa is saying, however surely they should aim to work alongside IC and the awareness they're creating, other than mock it in a seemingly jealous way?

Any publicity for this kind of thing is good publicity in my eyes, and they should embrace it. Awareness of this campaign is only going to create interest in others of a similar nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah of course you should get more information and not just trust 1 online source or campaign - but Joseph Kony is right at the top of the International Criminal Courts most wanted list - yet nearly no one had heard of him in the west until this campaign.

You dont have to donate to the charity, in fact they seem very US centric anyway.

But getting this problem out there and talked about and to the attention of the media and politicians can only be a good thing.

Look at what social media accomplished last year with the Arab Spring - it's power is changing the world. If it can help to ensure the capture of someone the the international criminal court wants to get hold of then surly that's a good thing?
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been seeing things on my facebook about this whole Kony thing for the past few days, so I finally checked wikipedia and realised Kony was a man. By the time I had watched the video on youtube I get it all now. I'm surprised how much it has blown up in the last few days. I see that #Stopkony is 2nd most talked about thing on twitter at the moment, as well as Uganda and the Invisible Children.

I was even more surprised to see that 1180 people are attending the 'Cover the night' even in Belfast :eek: The whole action plan is spreading wildly, and the guy has done a phenomenal job in doing so.

It's so interesting that so many people are jumping onboard for such a thing. I think it's awesome that so many people wanna help this cause:) It's shocking how high up on the wanted list he is but remains 'invisible' to the world!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

Good stuff - thank you. Anything that adds to the info is a great thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I have been seeing things on my facebook about this whole Kony thing for the past few days, so I finally checked wikipedia and realised Kony was a man. By the time I had watched the video on youtube I get it all now. I'm surprised how much it has blown up in the last few days. I see that #Stopkony is 2nd most talked about thing on twitter at the moment, as well as Uganda and the Invisible Children.

I was even more surprised to see that 1180 people are attending the 'Cover the night' even in Belfast :eek: The whole action plan is spreading wildly, and the guy has done a phenomenal job in doing so.

It's so interesting that so many people are jumping onboard for such a thing. I think it's awesome that so many people wanna help this cause:) It's shocking how high up on the wanted list he is but remains 'invisible' to the world!

Crazy isn't it? In just 2 days really. I hope the momentum stays until mid-April.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Crazy isn't it? In just 2 days really. I hope the momentum stays until mid-April.

Indeed. I hope to see if celebs will become supportive of something like this. The best start would probably be with someone like Lady GaGa considering she has the most twitter followers. I find this all such a great cause, when everyones coming together for something that they were once unaware off