Dave Lee Travis speaks out candidly to the media

Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know what has happened to Dave's thread on here and the other one over in the radio forum but both have disappeared. I hope this one doesn't go the same way as there was nothing on either of the threads posted as far as I could see that was bad.
Anyway here is a link from the Mail online with Dave speaking candidly to the press.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2233945/This-kids-Dave-Lee-Travis-speaks-deny-wrongdoing-Jimmy-Savile-sex-abuse-arrest.html

Comments

• FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess DS are protecting themselves as it's an ongoing legal case :confused:
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sorry for him. I never liked him, always thought he was a pompous, arrogant arse but he doesn't deserve this. These women should have dealt with this at the time, not waited 35 years to make a complaint. It's shameful.
  • LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why the media are allowed to publsh the names of people against whom there are totally unproven allegations, whilst victims are (quite rightly of course) protected.

Even if DLT is totally vindicated and the allegations are completely unfounded, his name will always now be associated with 'that Jimmy Savile business'.

If someone you knew made malicious allegations about you being a paedophile just to get even over an argument you had, and phoned a newspaper about it, would the paper publish your name even though there's no evidence?
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sorry for him. I never liked him, always thought he was a pompous, arrogant arse but he doesn't deserve this. These women should have dealt with this at the time, not waited 35 years to make a complaint. It's shameful.

Agree 100%.

I got groped in the 70's when I was 18 by a bloke I worked with. When I told him to stop, he said he was 'only being friendly', so I replied pretty forcefully that here were other ways of being friendly. He stopped immediately and never tried it again. This man went on to murder his second wife in front of his child, and leave the child with her body all night whist he went off and shot himself in his car.

The grown women involved in this case should have had the gumption to do the same as I did, and tell DLT to bugger off. To hell with 'it was the culture at the BBC at the time', they had voices, they were adults, they should have spoken up when it happened. All this is taking away from the real evil which is the prolonged sexual abuse of children who had no voice to protest at the time.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel really sorry for him. I never liked him, always thought he was a pompous, arrogant arse.

Yes. Remember those frequent humourless aggressive rants he launched into, on-air, on various topics? And when he wasn't in self-righteous mode, he clearly thought he was the funniest zaniest wackiest broadcaster of all time: I mean, come on, 'The Hairy Cornflake'! Does that self-ascribed nickname not scream at you someone saying, 'I'm mad, me!' with a cheeky grin-someone plainly desperate to be seen as loveably cheeky, funny and entertaining.
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamparilla wrote: »
    I don't understand why the media are allowed to publsh the names of people against whom there are totally unproven allegations, whilst victims are (quite rightly of course) protected.

Even if DLT is totally vindicated and the allegations are completely unfounded, his name will always now be associated with 'that Jimmy Savile business'.

If someone you knew made malicious allegations about you being a paedophile just to get even over an argument you had, and phoned a newspaper about it, would the paper publish your name even though there's no evidence?

Yes I know i agree with you. I hate paedophiles as much as the next person. I am glad that Dave has spoken out though but you are right that if allegations are completely unfounded mud does stick.
    Same for Freddie Starr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree 100%.

I got groped in the 70's when I was 18 by a bloke I worked with. When I told him to stop, he said he was 'only being friendly', so I replied pretty forcefully that here were other ways of being friendly. He stopped immediately and never tried it again. This man went on to murder his second wife in front of his child, and leave the child with her body all night whist he went off and shot himself in his car.

The grown women involved in this case should have had the gumption to do the same as I did, and tell DLT to bugger off. To hell with 'it was the culture at the BBC at the time', they had voices, they were adults, they should have spoken up at the time. All this is taking away from the real evil which is the prolonged sexual abuse of children who had no voice to protest at the time.

I was only fifteen when I left school and I was working in an electrical shop in the record dept at the time and we had this basement that we kept our coats and handbags and in the room for staff we could make a cup of tea. One dinnertime one of the male staff who was a big guy of about maybe in his sixties grabbed me and groped me. He kissed me all slobberly like as well and i got such a fright as i didn't see that comming but i got away from him and told my mum and she was going to report him but i wouldn't let her. I managed to get a transfer to one of their other shops but in the time that I had left there I refused to go down to the basement again and kept getting asked why not? I never did tell on him. That is just over forty years ago.
    But the women that are coming out now with their allegations why didn't they all come out sooner?
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media need to be responsible for once, rather than lumping them all in together. This will be forever lurking in the background for such as DLT, rergardless of outcome.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breast-fondling/bottom-pinching of grown women, if that's what it amounts to, isn't in the same ball-park as paedophilia and why anyone would suddenly want to press charges 30 years later is beyond me. That era was plagued with sexual harassment in the workplace and if every woman affected was to come forward, the police and courts would be doing nothing else...
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One woman said that when she complained to someone it was a case of "Don't you like it? Are you a lesbian or something?"

So it's possible that they were made to feel that there was no point as 'That's how it was then'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100%.

The grown women involved in this case should have had the gumption to do the same as I did, and tell DLT to bugger off. To hell with 'it was the culture at the BBC at the time', they had voices, they were adults, they should have spoken up when it happened. All this is taking away from the real evil which is the prolonged sexual abuse of children who had no voice to protest at the time.

At least one, maybe two, was 'allegedly' 17 at the time. They weren't really grown women in the sense you mean. If it was on air during a broadcast, as some of the reports would appear to have been alleged, it would have been difficult to tell someone to bugger off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    At least one, maybe two, was 'allegedly' 17 at the time. They weren't really grown women in the sense you mean.

Still old enough to tell him to keep his hands to himself, and Creegor could have told him after the broadcast instead of waiting 20 years to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still old enough to tell him to keep his hands to himself, and Creegor could have told him after the broadcast instead of waiting 20 years to do it.

I'm talking about Sandy Toksvig and another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only fifteen when I left school and I was working in an electrical shop in the record dept at the time and we had this basement that we kept our coats and handbags and in the room for staff we could make a cup of tea. One dinnertime one of the male staff who was a big guy of about maybe in his sixties grabbed me and groped me. He kissed me all slobberly like as well and i got such a fright as i didn't see that comming but i got away from him and told my mum and she was going to report him but i wouldn't let her. I managed to get a transfer to one of their other shops but in the time that I had left there I refused to go down to the basement again and kept getting asked why not? I never did tell on him. That is just over forty years ago.
    But the women that are coming out now with their allegations why didn't they all come out sooner?

You've answered your own question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One woman said that when she complained to someone it was a case of "Don't you like it? Are you a lesbian or something?"

So it's possible that they were made to feel that there was no point as 'That's how it was then'.

That's more than likely. I've been on the receiving end of similar kinds of experiences myself but dragging it up 30 plus years later just smacks of malicious revenge.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why they should keep people's names hidden until proven guilty!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Remember those frequent humourless aggressive rants he launched into, on-air, on various topics? And when he wasn't in self-righteous mode, he clearly thought he was the funniest zaniest wackiest broadcaster of all time: I mean, come on, 'The Hairy Cornflake'! Does that self-ascribed nickname not scream at you someone saying, 'I'm mad, me!' with a cheeky grin-someone plainly desperate to be seen as loveably cheeky, funny and entertaining.

Oh the guy is a complete tool, no doubt about it.

I remember he had a section in his Saturday Radio One show which was a general knowledge quiz but was based on "darts" (he also had one that was meant to be snooker)...hilarious...anyway, Noel Edmonds set him up for a Gotcha on it one week and DLT was furious about it. Apparently he never spoke to Edmonds again, he was so angry about being made a fool of.

I can imagine he got up a lot of noses over the years but dragging his name through the mud like this is unnecessary and malicious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm talking about Sandy Toksvig and another.

If it was during a broadcast, they could have told the person responsible afterwards, whether it was Sandi Toksvig or Vivien Creegor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She could have done but she didn't. Does that excuse any alleged behaviour? Would it have stopped it happening again?

You have written the story of the man who abused you being told to stop abusing you. [Tragically he then went on to kill his wife in front of his child before killing himself.]

Everyone is different and not everyone acts as you would like them to. This is a lesser 'crime' than the initial assault/grope/whatever.

You are blaming the victim and I don't think that is your intention. Okay, it's not paedophilia or anything to do with children, but it's unacceptable as you yourself agree by your action of telling tha man to stop/bugger off etc.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Breast-fondling/bottom-pinching of grown women, if that's what it amounts to, isn't in the same ball-park as paedophilia and why anyone would suddenly want to press charges 30 years later is beyond me. That era was plagued with sexual harassment in the workplace and if every woman affected was to come forward, the police and courts would be doing nothing else...

This^^

There is a time limit for bringing cases of common assault. Now, I understand that sexual assault must not be subject to a time limit because kids and women often take a long time to be able to talk about it - but breast jiggling? In the 70s and 80s? Come on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could have done but she didn't. Does that excuse any alleged behaviour? Would it have stopped it happening again?

You have written the story of the man who abused you being told to stop abusing you. [Tragically he then went on to kill his wife in front of his child before killing himself.]

Everyone is different and not everyone acts as you would like them to. This is a lesser 'crime' than the initial assault/grope/whatever.

You are blaming the victim and I don't think that is your intention. Okay, it's not paedophilia or anything to do with children, but it's unacceptable as you yourself agree by your action of telling tha man to stop/bugger off etc.

Did I say it excused it?

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but the fact remains they should either have said something at the time and if nothing was done, they should have moved on instead of raking it up now. 'Copping a feel' is wrong, but it's a million miles away from what Savile and others were doing.

As to the DS story quoted ^ putting a photo of DLT alongside one of Savile is wrong, no matter what you think of him. Come on DS, take it off, it's unfair. :mad:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a438717/dave-lee-travis-taken-off-air-by-magic-am-after-sexual-abuse-claims.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's more than likely. I've been on the receiving end of similar kinds of experiences myself but dragging it up 30 plus years later just smacks of malicious revenge.

I think it's more the case that the JS case has brought up memories from long ago to the surface.

It's abuse, but of a lesser kind. Nevertheless some people remember it as the abuse it was.

When something like this happens, there is always a need to blame someone. A lot of people have fond thoughts of various DJs, so will blame someone else even while allowing that the events may actually have taken place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've answered your own question.

Though I was only fifteen at the time and he was in his sixties though it wasn't right it was a grope. It could have been worse he could have raped me and he did not.
    Even if he was around today i would not report him.
    The point i was trying to make was i stopped my mum from reporting him and that is when things should be reported at the time not some thirty or forty years latter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more the case that the JS case has brought up memories from long ago to the surface.

It's abuse, but of a lesser kind. Nevertheless some people remember it as the abuse it was.

When something like this happens, there is always a need to blame someone. A lot of people have fond thoughts of various DJs, so will blame someone else even while allowing that the events may actually have taken place.

I personally don't have any "fond" thoughts of DLT which I've made clear in this thread.

I'm sorry but these women have taken far too long to complain to the police about this. It's bandwagon jumping, nothing more.