Just a secondrate SCD.

2»

Comments

• abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    Quite, and it's a skill that the participants in DOI are never going to achieve during their time on the show. I love skating & go to watch competitions all the tme, but even though I try every year I can never really get into DOI. At least with SCD by the end of the series the couples are producing really competant dances that are great to watch - with DOI, I'd still prefer to watch 10 year olds in Russian Novice competitions than the "best" of DOI. It's just not possible for couples on the show to achieve a level of skating where it's really engaging to watch within the amount of time they have on the show.

This is also compounded by the slightly low rent feel of the program. At least Robinhas amazing technical knowledge, but Jason is just ridiculous, rude and, but unlike CRH on SCD who can be just as bad, Jason can't even back his criticism up with any understanding of skating technique. There shouldn't be any place for him on the show imo, particularly now they have Ashley as well.

The show is also hindered by only having T&D choreography. Of course they're the most recognisable faces of British skating, but Christopher hasn't done any choreography worth watching since he was working with the Duchesnays.

i enjoyed both matthew and jordi's dances last year. i'm sure there will also be at least two potentially interesting contestants this year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    ScouseBird wrote: »
    I hate strictly its boring, at least doi has a danger element to it and doesnt have the insufferable brucie and tess! Also jason is a better judge than everyone on strictly put together!

This!!!
    Since SCD started i think i have managed to watch about 10 min in total before switching off because of how shit it is. Its dull beyond words. DOI has danger, ice and lifts. SCD has people on hard floor, waltzing around while Tess and Bruce embaress themselves. I hate entertainment shows like this on BBC anyway, but even for them that show is dreadful.
    I really dont get why people make such a big deal about it.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    It takes more balls and guts to do moves on ice than on a dance floor...and it's not hosted by Bruce Forsyth which is always a good thing.
    It also has better music

SCD would be better without Dave and his off tune singers
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    Quite, and it's a skill that the participants in DOI are never going to achieve during their time on the show. I love skating & go to watch competitions all the time, but even though I try every year I can never really get into DOI. At least with SCD by the end of the series the couples are producing really competent dances that are great to watch - with DOI, I'd still prefer to watch 10 year olds in Russian Novice competitions than the "best" of DOI. It's just not possible for couples on the show to achieve a level of skating where it's really engaging to watch within the amount of time they have on the show.

This is also compounded by the slightly low rent feel of the program. At least Robin has amazing technical knowledge, but Jason is just ridiculous, rude and, but unlike CRH on SCD who can be just as bad, Jason can't even back his criticism up with any understanding of skating technique. There shouldn't be any place for him on the show imo, particularly now they have Ashley as well.

The show is also hindered by only having T&D choreography. Of course they're the most recognisable faces of British skating, but Christopher hasn't done any choreography worth watching since he was working with the Duchesnays.

You make some valid points. I do enjoy DOI but there is only so much you can teach the novice celebs even the talented ones. The early series seemed better but I think then you were surprised at just how much the celebs could do - 8 series on it probably doesn't have that wow factor anymore.

Am not convinced that T&D choreography is a big issue - will be interesting to see how the save me skate thing pans out with the pros choreography.
  • strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the show. It was great last night.