I Love the 1980's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else remember this show? Aired around 2001 and really enjoyed it alough I think I missed 1980, 1985, 1986 & 1989 as think they wernt advertised.

Great series not seen em in years. Youtube has the 1988 episode but would love to see the series in full.

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did the 70s and 90s too, didn't they? Made me miss my childhood in the 70s but not the 80s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoner Cell Block H on 'I love 1988'

:):):)
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did the 70s and 90s too, didn't they? Made me miss my childhood in the 70s but not the 80s.

Yes I remember the TV guide review stating how daft it was doing a clip show of 1999 that was only about 5 years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Yes, they did I love 1970's in the summer of 2000. Jimmy Savile presented the first one, so they won't show that again. The 1980's were done in early 2001 and the 90's later that year. So 1999 was only done 2 years after.

The talking head format has been ridiculed over the years (see Barry Shitpeas on Charlie Brookers shows), so it will look strange now.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The 90's one felt so weird, especially as you got up to 98/99 :D It just didnt seem right as the things featured then were only about 2 or 3 years prior :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely someone on here must have recorded them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone record them?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange that I never saw this. Unless it was on one of the many Sky channels.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for them to do I Love the 2000's where comedians you have never heard of will be talking nostalgically about all of those nostalgia TV shows that were popular back then.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember this show? Aired around 2001 and really enjoyed it alough I think I missed 1980, 1985, 1986 & 1989 as think they wernt advertised.

Great series not seen em in years. Youtube has the 1988 episode but would love to see the series in full.

Haven't heard of this show - but anyway - I loved the 1960's! :)
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Strange that I never saw this. Unless it was on one of the many Sky channels.

They were on BBC2 if I recall

I used to love these shows. Each year was presented by a celebrity who first became famous in that year and featured TV shows, toys, music etc and talking heads 'reminiscing' (sometimes the talking heads were too young to remember the year in question)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I'd have loved to have seen this. Oh well...
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the 70s and 80s series (don't remember a 90s one, but probably wouldn't have been as keen to watch). The only thing I remember that annoyed me was that some of the contributors were too young to remember the year they were talking about, e.g. Johnny Vegas would still have been in nappies when space-hoppers and chopper bikes came out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were on BBC2 if I recall

I used to love these shows. Each year was presented by a celebrity who first became famous in that year and featured TV shows, toys, music etc and talking heads 'reminiscing' (sometimes the talking heads were too young to remember the year in question)

The odd one ive seen clips on youtube but most of them are the US version but I prefer to see the UK one because I live here.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    I loved the 70s and 80s series (don't remember a 90s one, but probably wouldn't have been as keen to watch). The only thing I remember that annoyed me was that some of the contributors were too young to remember the year they were talking about, e.g. Johnny Vegas would still have been in nappies when space-hoppers and chopper bikes came out.

That's what annoyed me too, you would have people in their 20's reminiscing about events from the 70's and 80's when they would have been babies.
    It annoyed me so much I kept going to the computer to check how old these young people would have been in the years they had such fond memories of.
  • AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I loved those programmes maybe it reminded so much of my childhood would love to watch them again and i am sure they will be repeated at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they wernt around then to see the shows as they happened then they have no right to comment.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Was that the show that was aired on VH1? If so, I have it downloaded :D
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they wernt around then to see the shows as they happened then they have no right to comment.

It was not just about shows it was about events at the time, like someone said Johnny Vegas reminiscing about when Spacehoppers and Choppers were about, he was born in 1971 so he couldn't possibly remember and I remember someone else saying how brilliant and refreshing the Punk era was, they were born in in about 75/76.
    It's like me being invited to give a talk on what it's like to be in the Army today instead of asking someone who is actually in the Army.
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a great series that was repeated across Christmas 2003? or 2004? on BBC2. I have them recorded in SVHS from the original tx in 2000 but would like them repeated so I could get full quality digital copies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Was that the show that was aired on VH1? If so, I have it downloaded :D

No it wasent the american one. This one had a more british theme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    It would have been great apart from the talking heads acting like a bunch of hipsters as they slagged everything off. I'd still watch it if it were repeated though.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically The I Love Series was a BBC Production shown on BBC 2 during the turn of the 21st Century. There was 3 series, one for the 70s, one for the 80s and one for the 90s. Each series had 10 programmes with each programme concentrating on one year.

Each year would then look at the themes of that year whether it was music, tv, lifestyles, fashion etc. The weird thing was that the 90s retrospective series was either shown in 2001 or 2002 and it was a bit weird them doing a retrospective on I Love 1999 and the people involved making it sound like it was decades ago!

Theres more at
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/
    ...but I don't think there was I Love 60s series despite there being a section on that website.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a lot of nostalgia shows on around ten years ago or so. C4 used to the 100 Greatest series as well.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a lot of nostalgia shows on around ten years ago or so. C4 used to the 100 Greatest series as well.

Yep I remember those, wasn't The Simpsons No 1 in the majority of those countdowns they did including the Top 100 Kids TV shows of all time.