Girl's Aloud 2002-2013 - What will their lasting legacy be in the industry ?

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Girl's Aloud have had 10 very good years in the charts and tonight they brought their career as a group to a halt, what do you believe will be their last legacy ?

What has their greatest Achievement been ?

Did they change the face of girl bands ?

Any other opinions please sharere

Comments

• DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They paved the way for The Saturdays to take over.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Biology being one of the best pop songs of a decade. GA have released a string of incredibly good pop songs. Their only weak singles are their covers aside from Jump which is also pretty fantastic.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »

Fingers crossed they don't
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't really ten years though was it? 2002-2009 and then 2012-March 2013.
    However, I think any future girlband starting up in the UK will definitely look to GA for inspiration, they've had a lot of quirky pop songs over the years, songs like Biology, Sound of the Underground, Love Machine etc etc could definitely be what future girlbands base their music on.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No disrespect to their fans but they're not iconic in any way, shape or form. The truth is loyal fans will remember them, others won't...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They had some good pop songs. Sound of the Underground, No Good Advice, Biology and Untouchable are all great pop songs. Maybe future girlbands will look to their music for inspiration.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    No disrespect to their fans but they're not iconic in any way, shape or form. The truth is loyal fans will remember them, others won't...

Totally agree. Not in the slightest way iconic, and never will be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They were a big name in the UK charts for the time they were active but that was pretty much it. Unfortunately I think Cheryl's popularity explosion in 2008 pretty much overshadowed the entire band and it's reunion.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they did have an impact on pop music in bridging that widening gap between the youth pop music scene and the nme-esque music scene.

It was coming off of a time when Pop! was a massive entity in itself and as such the rest of the music scene seemed to want to distance itself away from that as far as it possibly could. And any pop act that wanted to be accepted by that scene need to contrive themselves and pander to them (the Sugababes for example who loosened up a lot after the arrival of Girls Aloud).

Girls Aloud were a pop group that were creating well received songs, were using all the same influences as the indie types but not scaredof big pop melodies, of dressing up, of being sparkly, of being theatrical. They weren't afraid to stand on the same bill as S Club Juniors while singing pop songs quite clearly influenced by the Stones, Blondie, Prodigy.

And because it worked I think it did help take away that fear of pop that was held in the music scene at the time.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    EDIT: Ok Brummielad made my same point in a much better way, but here's my post anyway :)

What they did achieve - along with the Sugababes - was being one of the few conventional pop groups around in the otherwise indie and R&B dominated mid-noughties, after the manfactured overload of the late 90s/early 00s and the X Factor-led late 00s/early 10s. They stood out because they had very few serious competition...had they been around a few years earlier they'd have been competing with the Spice Girls/B*Witched/All Saints etc, and had they launched now they'd have The Saturdays/Little Mix/Stooshe around them.

I was never a huge fan but they definitely did some good songs...'Sound of the Underground' was a great debut and dare I say that their cover of 'Jump' is better than the original? 'Love Machine', 'Biology' and 'The Promise' are all really well-done as well. Cnbcwatcher's prediction that they'll be inspirational for future girlbands is dead-on I think.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »

:p
    ...good joke.

They brought brilliant Pop music back into the charts, imagination over generic cheese or the guest rapper.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    None really other than having like 21 top 10s however can the average person name more than 10 of those songs? I doubt it

I'm afraid they will be remembered for being Cheryl Cole's band she was once in.

They will never be regarded as icons like the Spice Girls. The impact they made just wasn't that big and only Cheryl being in them has kept them from being just another Atomic Kitten.
    Forum Member

Well they're not really known outside of the UK and Ireland and doesn't an artist have to be known all over the world to be classed as iconic?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally rate the Sugababes higher even with the revolving door policy for the most part they had a hand in shaping and contributing to their music in the way GA never did. It's not a question of what GA willbe remembered for more over what xenomania willbe remembered for fopr without them no GA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they're not really known outside of the UK and Ireland and doesn't an artist have to be known all over the world to be classed as iconic?

I only can imagine this is a decision of the labels, no act will be promoted abroad because not to be a competition for the other x-factor etc. acts. In Germany I have never heard one single Girls Allowed song ever, occasionally one or two Cheryl songs.

Sugerbabes on the other hand were always played.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice on the eyes, painful on the ears...
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

bloody hell thats twice in a week i agree with you!

their legacy?.... a dozen or so decent enough pop songs. thats it. nothing more then many before them.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, no.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For recording the masterpiece that was Call The Shots
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    They weren't afraid to stand on the same bill as S Club Juniors while singing pop songs quite clearly influenced by the Stones, Blondie, Prodigy.

Eh? Not that clear as they sound nothing like any of those three.
    Forum Member
    rbautz wrote: »
    I only can imagine this is a decision of the labels, no act will be promoted abroad because not to be a competition for the other x-factor etc. acts. In Germany I have never heard one single Girls Allowed song ever, occasionally one or two Cheryl songs.

Sugerbabes on the other hand were always played.

The only time I ever saw or heard anything related to Girls Aloud in Germany was a copy of their first Greatest Hits album (The Sound of Girls Aloud) on sale in a supermarket. I saw loads of Sugababes CDs on sale though.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    For recording the masterpiece that was Call The Shots

That was indeed their masterpiece.

For some reason however they seem to think their masterpiece is The Promise though.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will leave like no legacy at all!!

They just didn't have even cultural impact. They didn't change music, they didn't do anything that stands out as pop icona. They just got very lucky with decent pop songs that allowed them to have so many top 10 hits. Girls Aloud just became the Steps of the late 00s. There is nothing to remember really, they will be forgotten pretty quick. I mean even Cheryl isn't as big as she once was. If anything Girls Aloud prove one thing. Your fans grow up and move on.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be remembered for not being as big as the Spice Girls.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This.

They had some good tunes though, thanks to Xenomania.