Options

Scots lose the right to buy their own council homes

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terrible Idea. The money from buying a council house, should be put back to building more council houses. That is the ideal method.

god knows why people think this is a good idea. Seems they want people to be owned by the state, rather than being a stake holder in it.

Typical of the lefts views on the poor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    terrible Idea. The money from buying a council house, should be put back to building more council houses. That is the ideal method.

god knows why people think this is a good idea. Seems they want people to be owned by the state, rather than being a stake holder in it.

Typical of the lefts views on the poor.

Why would you remove an income stream just to land you with less money than you need to build a replacement? :confused:
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no difficulty with the principle of allowing someone who has lived in a house for a long time to buy it if they can afford to instead of being forced to move.

But the purchase should be at market value based on the actual cost of acquiring a replacement property of the same type and standard which can then be rented out to another person that needs one.

What happened in the 1980s was that the offspring of older people who had lived in council houses took up the right to buy their parents' house and when the parents died or moved in to residential care they were then able to sell the property on for their own financial gain. So it didn't benefit the actual residents at all apart from potentially being freed from very low levels of rent.

It was a rubbish policy and it should be stopped in England too.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Ideally -- but doesn't happen .. tiz glossing over fact that council houses have been sold at knock down prices which could only contribute a tiny % towards new builds & probably goes/went elsewhere .... there is a great need for more council/housing assoc homes with long, long waiting lists so selling off more of the current ones would be insane .... sale of council houses was promoted by torys (from legislation pre-dating Thatcher days) in order to buy votes especially the houses in Scotland -- we all know that plan spectacularly failed -- was a stupid idea & I'm glad right to buy is going/gone
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A council house should not be sold unless a replacement has been built using the money raised from the original house.

So the house should not be sold for any less than the cost of building a new house and perhaps a bit of profit.

This should have been common sense but the Tories were just greedy.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    I wouldn't sell at all. What happened to the choice is good mantra? People can choose to rent affordable homes from the council, rent from private if they wish or buy in the private sector, just like all other buyers. No need for state subsidy for a few and the loss of decent housing for the many.

How is it a subsidy to sell something at a break-even price?

You're not subsidising anyone, but might be helping someone.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A council house should not be sold unless a replacement has been built using the money raised from the original house

Most of the money raised on the original house would have to be paid back to the financiers
    So the house should not be sold for any less than the cost of building a new house and perhaps a bit of profit.

This should have been common sense but the Tories were just greedy.

A major purpose of right to buy was to relieve councils of the massive debts accrued in no small way by borrowing to build council houses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Most of the money raised on the original house would have to be paid back to the financiers

A major purpose of right to buy was to relieve councils of the massive debts accrued in no small way by borrowing to build council houses
    The council houses were paid off ages ago.

That is what rent is for.

Which brings up another rule for selling off council houses.

No house should be sold that hasn't been paid for by the amount of rent collected over the years.
  • Options
    AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the posts about how the poor should be helped and deserve a chance to own their own home

I 100% agree with you

however it completely misses the point

there are a finite amount of council houses available to those who can't afford to own their own homes, if those are sold off, for whatever price, to their current tenants then eventually there are no homes available to the poor

It's a great idea to give everyone the chance to own their house, but replacements need to be built
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A council house should be built and not sold until it the cost of build has been paid off by the rent from any tenants who live in it. Once the build cost has been recovered it can then go on the RTB system.

The money should cover the cost of the next house to be built, which can go straight on to the RTB market as its build cost has already been paid by the previous sale.

And so on.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Terrible. It should be the opposite. They should make everyone buy their council homes.

This is going to create vast swathes of ghettos across Scotland.

What nonsense it means more homes for the community and looked after by the community and less buy to let landlords like we have suffered in recent years often buying resold council properties. If any thing in england selling off council houses has actually dragged many areas down long term!
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most local authorities are in debt on their housing stock. Measures were brought in last year to combat this problem.

Council house rents invariably carry a government subsidy. The new measures are, in part, to offset that.

No house should be sold that hasn't been paid for by the amount of rent collected over the years.

You'd need to do a lot of research to find council houses that were paid for by rents. There has always been a gripe that councils were not allowed to use house sale receipts for building new houses; this was not true, Put simply they could build new housing provided they had paid off the debt on housing, that was the main purpose of the 1980's right to buy.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

So what if people have paid rent. People pay market rent in the private sector if they told their landlord they demanded the right to buy the property for a £100k discount they would be laughed at. These homes belong to local taxpayers via the council and belong to the community. If sold it should only be at market value! Ps my parents paid their mortgage off years ago. On your logic they should sell it at below market price?
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how it grates some on here that long standing council house tenants have the right to buy the property they reside in at a discount
    just for the record if i was to exercise my right to buy the discount will be 70% :D
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Oh how it grates some on here that long standing council house tenants have the right to buy the property they reside in at a discount
    just for the record if i was to exercise my right to buy the discount will be 70% :D

70% !!

I can see why it might grate, especially for those people in private rentals who get no such concession and probably pay considerably higher like for like rents to boot.

How many years have you had to live somewhere to get 70%? Have you been living there since birth and are now knocking 80 or what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    70% !!

I can see why it might grate, especially for those people in private rentals who get no such concession and probably pay considerably higher like for like rents to boot.

How many years have you had to live somewhere to get 70%? Have you been living there since birth and are now knocking 80 or what?

15 years is all thats required for 70% 10-14 years gets you between 60-68% im sure that info will cheer you up :p
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What problem has the left got with increasing the wealth of the poor?

It doesn't increase the wealth of the poor over all, it increases the wealth of a few at the cost of the majority.

The poor today, the poor tomorrow, their children etc etc are having to pay sky high private sector rates due to the selling off of social housing. Still bought Thatcher a few votes back in the day.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    I wouldn't sell at all. What happened to the choice is good mantra? People can choose to rent affordable homes from the council, rent from private if they wish or buy in the private sector, just like all other buyers. No need for state subsidy for a few and the loss of decent housing for the many.

Yes agree 100%:)
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why don't those people in private accommodation have the same rights?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So why don't those people in private accommodation have the same rights?

It's a sweet little mystery :p
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sweet little mystery :p
    Would you like Heather Frost to buy her council home at a 60% discount?
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am a housing asociation tenant off the council list do i have green eyes as you suggest do i hell, social housing is social housing why should rent beome a deposit:confused:

Housing association tenants even if they come off the couincil housing list get no such right.

And if even if i did i would not do it,the housing on the list belongs to people on the list full stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 years is all thats required for 70% 10-14 years gets you between 60-68% im sure that info will cheer you up :p

Blimey. No wonder people are keen to cash in. Are there any clauses preventing you putting it straight onto the market at the full market rate and filling your boots 5 minutes after taking advantage of that?

I know people who'd weigh in, sod off abroad for 5 years or so to somewhere like Thailand where they could sit around all day getting plastered on cheapo local brandy, only to return to the UK with their hand held firmly out again pleading poverty and demanding to be rehoused once the money was spent.
    My mate's sister would lead the charge if she was able. She's had a drink/drugs problem all her life and isn't expected to outlive her mother as a result. Her mum dreads the idea of her daughter getting her hands on her share of her inheritance because even though her addictions are killing her she'd go at it even harder and die even sooner if she had access to a reasonable lump sum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should i care if heather Frost buys her house at a discount im not a Daily Mail Minion
    Im actually more concerned that Prince william is getting his Royal house upgraded at the Tax Payers Expense
    You see i always look to the top not to the bottom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She'd need to break the habit of a lifetime and get a job first wouldn't she? :rolleyes: