News stories you remember as a child

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
The two that stick in my mind are the deaths of Princess Diana and Jill Dando.

Comments

• PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Bulger
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the vietnam war was in the news every day, i remember very graphic images of that, and the biafran famine on the television news. also the apollo program and the aberfan disaster.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Bulger

This

I was around the same age as those two (still am I suppose) and it freaked me out. Not in a heartless way, but it was more "these guys are my age and they're all over the papers and they've messed up their whole lives" than what they actually did, which I probably didn't fully understand. It was imagining being in their position
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James bulger

Stephen Lawrence

Rwanda genocide

John major resigning

Fred and rose west
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SAS storming the Iranian embassy.

ETA the Yorkshire Ripper, Elvis dying.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberfan

the devaluation of the pound

the 3 apollo astronauts dying in training accident
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The miners strike and Falklands war. I also remember the programme World in Action, the introduction music was very dramatic.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Caroline Hogg and Susan Maxwell's abductions.

The Yorkshire Ripper.

Iran/Iraq conflict.

Berlin Wall coming down.

Piper Alpha.

Lockerbie bombing (I'm not far from Lockerbie).

The soldiers dragged from the car and murdered in N Ireland.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    The moors murders
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Kidnapping of Lesley Whittle.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    The murder of John Lennon.

Suzy Lamplugh's disappearance and the search for "Mr Kipper".

Vicky Hamilton too, we were of a similar age.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Bell Trial
    The Moon Landing
    Pop Stars in drug/orgy scandals
    The first story I read about child abuse: A boy called Stephen who had literally been left in his cot to starve to death.
    Patty Hearst kidnap
    Lesley Whittle/Black Panther
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that sticks in my mind is a small child being snatched from a caravan in the dead of the night. It terrified me because we had caravan holidays every year. I cannot recall the girl's name or what the outcome was though?
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    The first one I remember is the end of the Gulf War (right around my 5th birthday), specifically the Iraqi army torching the oil wells.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Jeremy Thorpe trial
    Lord Mountbatten being blown up
    The 'Yorkshire Ripper' tape
    A boy my age at the time (9 or 10) going missing from home, and being found dead somewhere in the country after several days, apparently through natural causes not homicide, the boy having run away by himself
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a news story per se, but one of earliest memory of a big media storm was the Budd/Decker incident at the 1984 Olympics.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    The Iraq and afghanistan wars and the September 11 attacks are the ones that stick out in my mind mostly. I do remember my Grandparents totally overreacting to Diana's death though, even now they get a bit uppity if someone on the TV makes a joke about it.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Hillsborough

Zebrugge

Tiananmen Square Disaster

Chernobyl

I remember a lot more of the 90's as I was 10+ but the above were my first experiences of news.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The SAS storming the Iranian embassy.

ETA the Yorkshire Ripper, Elvis dying.

These ^^^, so we must be of a similar era, Venus. I lived in the heart of Ripper territory and remember being neurotic about my mum going out in the dark.

I remember Thatcher getting in (I was 9) and thinking it was great that we had our first female PM, although I grew to detest her.

The Miners' Strike

The Falklands War

Nuclear tensions between the USSR and US during the Cold War and the various posturings which made the headlines ('Our bomb's bigger than yours and we've got more of them'- sort of thing.)

Assassination attempts on Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan.

Faking of the Hitler Diaries.

For some reasons, deaths of various comedians and comedy actors/ actresses stuck in my mind, too (i.e. Sid James, Hattie Jacques, Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe, etc...). Many of them seemed to go 'too soon'/ before their time.

ETA...just seen mildredhubble's post, above, which has brought a few more poignant ones to mind!
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    The Iraq and afghanistan wars and the September 11 attacks are the ones that stick out in my mind mostly. I do remember my Grandparents totally overreacting to Diana's death though, even now they get a bit uppity if someone on the TV makes a joke about it.

You Must be the same age as me, 26?
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seemed to be endless mornings of my mum brushing my hair while watching the minor's strike on the shiny new TV-AM.

When I was tiny, we lived in the middle east and every British person listened to the Royal Wedding on the World Service. I remember my mum cutting out a picture of Charles and Di from a newspaper and sellotaping it to the door!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonestown (very vaguely, more remember the name than anything, I was about eight) and the Yorkshire Ripper.

Yeah, the really cheerful ones.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seemed to be endless mornings of my mum brushing my hair while watching the minor's strike on the shiny new TV-AM.

When I was tiny, we lived in the middle east and every British person listened to the Royal Wedding on the World Service. I remember my mum cutting out a picture of Charles and Di from a newspaper and sellotaping it to the door!

Oh blimey...how could I have forgotten the two Royal Weddings. Little did we know of the catastrophe brewing, there. It all seemed sooooo different, back then. Diana and Fergie certainly shook up the House of Windsor!
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    These ^^^, so we must be of a similar era, Venus. I lived in the heart of Ripper territory and remember being neurotic about my mum going out in the dark.

I remember Thatcher getting in (I was 9) and thinking it was great that we had our first female PM, although I grew to detest her.

The Miners' Strike

The Falklands War

Nuclear tensions between the USSR and US during the Cold War and the various posturings which made the headlines ('Our bomb's bigger than yours and we've got more of them'- sort of thing.)

For some reasons, deaths of various comedians and comedy actors/ actresses stuck in my mind, too (i.e. Sid James, Hattie Jacques, Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe, etc...). Many of them seemed to go 'too soon'/ before their time.

ETA...just seen mildredhubble's post, above, which has brought a few more poignant ones to mind!

Yes, we are of a similar age, I remember all that you've mentioned. The Cold War especially as I spent my early teenage years in a state of perpetual terror. I was born in 1972. I remember my mum standing by the radio (the 'wireless'!) in tears on hearing that Elvis had died. It was just before my 5th birthday. We were also in Ripper territory, so it was huge news.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born in 1968. The two that stuck in my mind from the 70s were the deaths of Elvis Presley and Lord Mountbatten.