Options

Ian Thorpe / Michael Parkinson "Coming Out ?" Interview

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wasnt sure where to put this, guess Showbiz is the closest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2689759/IM-GAY-Australian-Olympic-champion-Ian-Thorpe-finally-reveals-sexuality-interview-British-TV-personality-Michael-Parkinson-years-denials.html

Anyhow, Looks like the Thorpedo is going to have a "coming out" interview with Parky, will be broadcast later today.

All I know is he was a great athlete, and was brilliant during the Olympics Coverage.

Seems like a great man.

Comments

• Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a great man. But recently he's been a very sad man - had a nasty battle with depression.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a great man. But recently he's been a very sad man - had a nasty battle with depression.

Yeah, I did hear that.

I hope he gets back to himself now, life is too short to hide your light.

Details confirmed in Guardian (for DailyMailophobes ;-) )

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/12/ian-thorpe-gay-parkinson-interview
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought that was him, and Michael Parkinson there :eek:

:D
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought he came out of closet years ago...
  • Options
    mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope being honest and open will help in in other areas of his life, there's no doubt he's battling demons in private. It's a great shame because not only is he an amazing swimmer but his commentary is fantastic too, and you can't learn that talent!

I'm not a fan of people being pushed or forced out of the closet, but I do see why it's important that young people have many positive role models to look at and when someone denies it it implies they're ashamed which isn't good for anyones soul.

Be out and proud Ian, because honestly, you've been worrying over nothing...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Thought he came out of closet years ago...

I think that was just everybody knowing. Group thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Thorpe given so much of his early life was devoted to swimming and training it took a long time before he gave any thought to his personal life at which point he was already trapped in assuming he was straight.

Just hope this means he's turned a corner from the depression and ill health - scary to think only two months ago he was in intensive care!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still being presented as some kind of 'cliffhanger' moment in the interview. As well known as Ian is and the fact many people will look up to him, does not mean he isn't entitled to some privacy in his personal life.

Being 'private' has now translated into 'having something to hide'.

He doesn't have a 'duty' to tell anyone if he doesn't want to; nonetheless, if he feels the better for it then that is obviously a positive thing and good luck to him.

And I thought Parkinson had 'retired' anyway.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I think that Thorpe given so much of his early life was devoted to swimming and training it took a long time before he gave any thought to his personal life at which point he was already trapped in assuming he was straight.

Just hope this means he's turned a corner from the depression and ill health - scary to think only two months ago he was in intensive care!

I suppose he's just got to a point where having been to a very dark place, he just realised there are certain things which are actually pretty insignificant which need to be let go, and just to enjoy life. Good for him.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Is this supposed to be news?

I remember him working for the BBC at the Olympics. He was lovely, absolutely charming and adorable, and there much joking speculation about is he Colin Jackson's boyfriend! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) this is happening a day after a footy commentator thought it was ok to use the P word about a footballers wave and gave a half assed apology about it.

2) the interview is as much about his depression and the fact that he's only just being able to say it to those close to him. I've only seen clips but it sounds like he only came out to him family two weeks ago.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hope if it is true, it's a weight off his shoulders.

I've always felt about Ian, and expressed this here before, that his issues weren't just down to swimming. Many people went further and expressed they thought he was a victim of the closet.

Even so, it may not be/entirely the reason for his bad time in recent years but hopefully if he does wish to express himself then people will be understanding. People struggle mightily with allsorts and it's often hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes no matter what. We all have different life experiences.

We'll see what comes of the interview, but regardless, Ian comes across as a nice guy and all the best to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »

I remember him working for the BBC at the Olympics. He was lovely, absolutely charming and adorable, and there much joking speculation about is he Colin Jackson's boyfriend! lol

Well since Katie Price, Kelly Brook and Kim Kardashian get headlines for breathing, or putting in their bum implants, I don't see why Ian Thorpe, a man who seems to fight shy of causing daily drama for no good reason, can't theoretically, if the article is to be believed, have his say for a change. :)
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all I have never heard of the guy because I don't follow cricket.

And secondly who cares if he is gay or not.

Seriously how is this news in 2014???
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you are indeed clueless... on every level
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Come back when you understand what it's like to live your life trapped in a closet.
  • Options
    Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Come back when you understand what it's like to live your life trapped in a closet.

and when he doesn't think you can play cricket in a swimming pool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

better still he should come back when he's learnt that Ian Thorpe isn't a cricket player

oops beaten to it.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    And I thought Parkinson had 'retired' anyway.

So did I apart from his Sky Arts show, Network Ten must have paid big money to get him to go to Australia for it.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are indeed clueless... on every level

Is that all you're going to say? Can't you explain yourself further, or are you only capable of giving abstruse one sentence replies?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »

Exactly - I hope he recovers and we can see him back on our screens for the Rio Olympics.

He seems such a lovely intelligent guy - and he offered great insight. He really put Gary Lineker in his place on occasions too!
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    There are some people who don't understand why he didn't come out before. When looking at all the attention this is getting in the media - who can blame him? You don't need that when you're training for important events.

It's good to see more sports people coming out, for some reason it always seems that it's more difficult for them to be able to be who they are.

And who knows, maybe, some day... people will not have to 'come out' at all but can just be, without having to announce anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that all you're going to say? Can't you explain yourself further, or are you only capable of giving abstruse one sentence replies?

I have already posted my further explanation. You seem incapable of reading. Which would explain why you think Ian Thorpe is a famous cricketeer.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Thorpe says he's not straight. Well knock me down with a feather. But why Parky of all people?