13»

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Maybe a quick hello

I expect they just want to get on with it without bored office workers attempting small talk

Wouldn't do for me I love a chat makes my work go quicker, if anyone has time we always have a chat, one said one day if he didn't have a laugh with me before he went home he'd arrive home in a right mood his wife apparently loves me I've made her husband more bearable.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cleaners are human too. I hate the attitude that some people have that cleaners, waiting staff, shop assistants etc., are lower than them and so not even worth considering.

Cleaners are very important people in any organisation as we would have to work in scruffy unclean offices/shops/factories/depots etc with out them.

We all have a part to play in our working life and we should all respect each other.
  • Options
    Claire AClaire A Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I don't need to talk to them, pointing at the spots theymissed and handing them my waste to dispose of usually does the trick
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, half term again. Bless.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cleaners are human too. I hate the attitude that some people have that cleaners, waiting staff, shop assistants etc., are lower than them and so not even worth considering.

Cleaners are very important people in any organisation as we would have to work in scruffy unclean offices/shops/factories/depots etc with out them.

We all have a part to play in our working life and we should all respect each other.

That's what I love about where I work now, I'm part of the team, they don't see me as any less than them, we all know without each other there would be no business. Makes me work harder because I want them to do their best to sell and bring in the business to keep us all in work.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, half term again. Bless.

Cleaners still work during the holidays. Or am I missing something here? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In case there's a feeling there's an ulterior motive behind me creating this thread, it stems from the Random Acts of Kindness Day's list of 'simple acts you can perform':
    Say thank you to your office cleaners
    Cleaners and security guards are what make being in the office bearable. Without them, there’d be a mountain of dirty mugs in the kitchen and you’d be bathing in crap within days.
    Yet few people ever acknowledge their existence – unless it’s to complain. Thank your cleaners today for the long hours of hard graft that they put into trying to make your environment better.

I'd imagine a member of the cleaning staff would feel more annoyed at only being spoken to because it was a particular day rather than because someone wanted to actually speak to them. As I said in my OP, I don't single the cleaning staff out to not be spoken to, I avoid speaking to most people!

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/17/19-easy-things-you-can-do-for-random-acts-of-kindness-day-6454167/
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cleaners still work during the holidays. Or am I missing something here? :confused:

The reply before mine. Lousy attempt at trolling, imo. Kids get bored.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    I have always chatted to cleaners in places I have worked. When I was teaching in one particular school the cleaners were the only ones who were nice to me and another lady who was a TA. The other teaching staff were complete snobby bitches and cliquey. In the offices I have always talked to the cleaners, handymen/women etc. Why shouldn't they be spoken to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reply before mine. Lousy attempt at trolling, imo. Kids get bored.

Oh, I think that was an attempt at humour rather than trolling.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we had a pub I had a brilliant cleaner who asked one day if I wanted the flat cleaning as well as the pub (suspected she needed the money) so I said yes PLEASE. She became a great friend to me and and we would chat for ages as I used to clear up before she did my cleaning :-) Went upstairs unexpected one day and she was wallpapering my living room and was most disappointed as she wanted to surprise me later when it was finished.
    The only thing that annoyed me about her was she ironed a crease in my jeans so had to hide them before she came. Still in touch with her many years later.
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    i often used to find that the cleaners were a lot more friendly and intelligent that the 'colleagues'. At least say hello or goodbye to them.