BT to increase prices for 4th time in 20 months !

As the title says Bt increasing prices yet again kind of a joke really considering there customer base.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/3778601/BT-will-clobber-more-than-10m-customers-with-a-FOURTH-price-rise-in-20-months.html

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where they get the nerve to put their prices up, they already one of the most expensive as it is.

Thankfully I am not with BT, but no doubt because Bt put their prices up yet again other providers will do the same. some won't really have much choice as they pay Bt for the lines.

It would not be so bad if we got something for the increase, but we don't.
  • craigEcraigE Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I don't know where they get the nerve to put their prices up, they already one of the most expensive as it is.

Thankfully I am not with BT, but no doubt because Bt put their prices up yet again other providers will do the same. some won't really have much choice as they pay Bt for the lines.

It would not be so bad if we got something for the increase, but we don't.

Where do you think all the money comes from to upgrade the network that's over 50 years old? Fibre optic is also being rolled out across the country, this does not happen at no cost!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigE wrote: »
    Where do you think all the money comes from to upgrade the network that's over 50 years old? Fibre optic is also being rolled out across the country, this does not happen at no cost!

I can't see fibre here, nope, certainly not here.

Tell me what they have updated? they have given up on the so called 21CN for voice, so that did not happen, so they spent money on that and did not bother to take it any further.

My line is over 30 years old and not been touched, many people have been paying line rental for years and get nothing out of it apart from their line going to their house.

i know the infrastructure is old and have to be updated and maintained, but there are many people who pay line rental month after month and never use their phones.

Myself included, i may use my home phone about once a week if that and yet I am still paying almost the same amount of line rental of someone who makes use of their free calls 5 times a day or more.

I think people like myself who don't want free calls should get a rebate.

Never mind that may change soon, a local company is building a wireless network on our churches, the churches have to be good for something. Anyway, they are looking at putting it on two churches in the city, the cathedral and another one. If it is ok i will change over to it.

Unlimited for £29, 10Megabit, i need to look more into it and see how unlimited it is and i know that depending on the distance i may not get ten megabit, but considering i am on a hill and I can see the church that the system will be on from here.

Not worried about pings as I don't play games. Need to know what the upload is.

I know someone who is getting the system installed where they live as it is the only way they can get broadband due to where they live, so when it is installed I will go and have a look to see how it work.

i could then get rid of landline :)
  • craigEcraigE Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    You May not see fibre at your house or at your exchange but like I said, they are rolling it out across the country, so no doubt one day you will get it.

The are still doing it now and its alot of work to undertake.

Even if you don't use the line for calls you are still using the line and its resources via you ADSL as it uses the copper wire.

I also notice you are on LLU service up to 20 meg. A lot of work had to go in to providing you, and everyone one that exchange that service, and the money to pay for the work involved must come from us, who use it. BT don't have "a nerve" to put up their prices, they probably have to look at market conditions, revenue etc. and more importantly the share price. If BT did not take any action according to supply and demand then they would go bust and we would all be without telephone, broadband, public phones, and 999 services etc.
    Even though the line price is increasing you can still get a good deal from them; i see they charge a 1 off fee of £120 for a years line rental, not bad at all when you consider the price of line rental in 2001 was £9.99, a bargain when you consider the price of EVERYTHING has risen over the years, more than doubled in some cases:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You May not see fibre at your house or at your exchange but like I said, they are rolling it out across the country, so no doubt one day you will get it.

I won't and I think it will be a while before we get it here.

The are still doing it now and its alot of work to undertake.

But BT have been screwing us for years, even before broadband was available and yet we got little for it.
    Anyway, why should people who don't have the internet and not likely to get the internet have to pay more rental so other people can have it?

Even if you don't use the line for calls you are still using the line and its resources via you ADSL as it uses the copper wire.

Oh wow, I am using 50 year old cables for my broadband and paying 2011 prices for it. Anyway you did not get what I meant.

some people pay the same as me and use their phone non-stop so they get a great deal with their free weekend and evening calls., but someone like me who don't make many calls on the landline, still pay the same and get little for it.

We should have a naked line rental, no voice, just broadband, I would pay a fiver a month for a line that don't take calls.

I also notice you are on LLU service up to 20 meg. A lot of work had to go in to providing you, and everyone one that exchange that service, and the money to pay for the work involved must come from us, who use it.

But the equipment my broadband is connected to don't belong to BT, it belongs to Cable and wireless and I pay indirectly Cable and wireless for their network

You do make me laugh about up to 20megs. It is because Bt won't pay for the cable to be re-routed that the max i can get is 4megs and that is only because I dropped BT useless waste of space broadband for something that was decent.

Bt closed the old exchange, but instead of taking the cables and putting then directly from here to the new exchange they just took the cables from the old exchange to the new, so my cables are twice as long as they need to be.
    Good Thinking BT
    BT don't have "a nerve" to put up their prices, they probably have to look at market conditions, revenue etc. and more importantly the share price.

Market conditions my foot, they got almost a monopoly, they are not bothered about market conditions, they will put up their prices until the customers start to drop them like a stone, the sooner the better.

We must remember the poor share holders and they must get their money because they are important
    If BT did not take any action according to supply and demand then they would go bust and we would all be without telephone, broadband, public phones, and 999 services etc.
    Even though the line price is increasing you can still get a good deal from them; i see they charge a 1 off fee of £120 for a years line rental, not bad at all when you consider the price of line rental in 2001 was £9.99, a bargain when you consider the price of EVERYTHING has risen over the years, more than doubled in some cases:eek:

And a lot of people got £120 to pay out all at once just so BT can stick it in their bank account to earn more interest. not that they get much interest these days.

Once again the poorer people are being penalised, just like the energy companies charge people more if they have pre-paid energy.

Bt put prices up and then say if you have this and this and this , you can get it for less, even if you did not want what they was offering.

All big companies are the same, no matter what service or product they sell, but Bt is just a awful company to be honest, almost as bad as Talk Talk.
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno why someone who isnt a BT customer would get so irritated by BT Retail putting up their prices....Noise747, BT Retail have put up prices, the wholesale prices charged to other CP's is regulated, and are separate from this, so if others follow BTR and put their retail prices up, thats their decision nothing at all to do with BT, so your 'they dont have much choice' statement is complete nonsense, and why as a non BTR customer would you expect to get anything from BT for the increased price ?,
    Obviously you have a view on the 'value' the line rental charge represents but your CP pays BT a lot less than what you pay them.....OFCOM set the level that BT are allowed to charge CP's for local loops, they determine this using facts, running/maintaining/upgrading the network costs money, and why shouldnt a business expect a return,do you think BT should allow another company use of its assets at cost price so thay can make a profit, but BT cannot ?, businesses that dont make a profit go bust,
    No one likes prices going up, but when your CP puts your price up, and they will, dont blame another company for it
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I seem to like BT as there broadband seems fine. Im starting to get a little fed up with there increase in prices as they now seem to be putting them up to offen.
    Back in July the call packages/line rental and BT Infinity came to nearly £35 more for the 3 months then the cost of calls we made.
    I pay £5 almost every week towards the BT bill with the BT payment card.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iniltous wrote: »
    Dunno why someone who isnt a BT customer would get so irritated by BT Retail putting up their prices....Noise747, BT Retail have put up prices, the wholesale prices charged to other CP's is regulated, and are separate from this, so if others follow BTR and put their retail prices up, thats their decision nothing at all to do with BT, so your 'they dont have much choice' statement is complete nonsense, and why as a non BTR customer would you expect to get anything from BT for the increased price ?,
    Obviously you have a view on the 'value' the line rental charge represents but your CP pays BT a lot less than what you pay them.....OFCOM set the level that BT are allowed to charge CP's for local loops, they determine this using facts, running/maintaining/upgrading the network costs money, and why shouldnt a business expect a return,do you think BT should allow another company use of its assets at cost price so thay can make a profit, but BT cannot ?, businesses that dont make a profit go bust,
    No one likes prices going up, but when your CP puts your price up, and they will, dont blame another company for it

when people put their prices up others follow, just like the energy companies.

Also the price of line rental for my Dad will no doubt go up so he will be paying more for something he hardly use.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT do have what I call sharp practice, For example if you have the anytime call package at £4.75 a month then like in our case don't renew this BT then put you on the £5.75 a month without giving you the option of just having the basic pay as you use in the daytime not very good is it? We are not with BT now & anyone who has line rental & calls with another provider just look a the the letter you get when changing from BT i've still got mine shocking is the only way to describe it, thinks like you are leaving us when you leave we can't help you anymore then BT give you the outstanding balance & then say if this is not paid on time we may have to put you in the County Court & your credit rating well be affected in a word shoddy! what a way to treat long standing customers with a so called threat.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    BT do have what I call sharp practice, For example if you have the anytime call package at £4.75 a month then like in our case don't renew this BT then put you on the £5.75 a month without giving you the option of just having the basic pay as you use in the daytime not very good is it? We are not with BT now & anyone who has line rental & calls with another provider just look a the the letter you get when changing from BT i've still got mine shocking is the only way to describe it, thinks like you are leaving us when you leave we can't help you anymore then BT give you the outstanding balance & then say if this is not paid on time we may have to put you in the County Court & your credit rating well be affected in a word shoddy! what a way to treat long standing customers with a so called threat.:mad:

Surly not? The couple of times i left Bt I was always in credit, so they had to pay me.

Not expecting to leave BT again as I not expecting to go back to them, ever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surly not? The couple of times i left Bt I was always in credit, so they had to pay me.

Not expecting to leave BT again as I not expecting to go back to them, ever

Hi, yes its all true what I've said we had to pay £1.85 being the outstanding amount no problem we knew we had to pay this wasn't the issue it was the way it sounded in the standard letter BT send out, I am not impressed with the way BT treat customers who are changing over to someone else, Stupid because who ever you change your landline rental & calls to they have to pay BT Openreach anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, yes its all true what I've said we had to pay £1.85 being the outstanding amount no problem we knew we had to pay this wasn't the issue it was the way it sounded in the standard letter BT send out, I am not impressed with the way BT treat customers who are changing over to someone else, Stupid because who ever you change your landline rental & calls to they have to pay BT Openreach anyway.

A guy at work changed all from BT to Sky just a month or two ago after having a fall out with them over poor service and got one of them letters you are on about and they wanted I think it was over £40 for outstanding balance.
    His dad is in his mid 80s and to get a letter something like that is not good.
    He stays a few miles outside of the Dunfermline area and where he is the broadband speeds with BT were only 3.2mb or something like that.
    He says hes now getting about 4.5mb with Sky.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    A guy at work changed all from BT to Sky just a month or two ago after having a fall out with them over poor service and got one of them letters you are on about and they wanted I think it was over £40 for outstanding balance.
    His dad is in his mid 80s and to get a letter something like that is not good.
    He stays a few miles outside of the Dunfermline area and where he is the broadband speeds with BT were only 3.2mb or something like that.
    He says hes now getting about 4.5mb with Sky.

Darren

Hi, It isn't very good more like sour grapes with BT, I fully expected a balance of around £2 with BT no problem with that, We have had landline phone since the GPO days way back in 1975/6 I understand every body who changes from BT get's the standard letter, Whats the old saying? there is no sentiment in business in BT's case true. If you look at the history of BT from the start they don't like competition plus the fact it's all about the shareholders.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ummmm maybe from the 50+ years line rental that has been payed by the customers over the years???

That is what line rental is for after all the up keep of the line!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, It isn't very good more like sour grapes with BT, I fully expected a balance of around £2 with BT no problem with that, We have had landline phone since the GPO days way back in 1975/6 I understand every body who changes from BT get's the standard letter, Whats the old saying? there is no sentiment in business in BT's case true. If you look at the history of BT from the start they don't like competition plus the fact it's all about the shareholders.

The guys had to pay the outstabding balance but his dad is not very happy with the letter BT sent. They have put in a complant as far as I know.
    I just looked up the BT site and I see from 3rd December my BT Infinity Option 2 is to go up by £1.20 and the free evening and weekend call package that we have is going up by 15p.
    We used to have friends and family mobile as well but I cancaled that a few months ago after mum died as she was the main one that used it and we dont phone mobiles from the landline as much since she died.
    Insted of me paying £5 nearly every week towards the bills with the BT payment card I may need to increse that to £10 nearly every week that I pay come January.
    I getting fed up with all the bill increses as others will also be.
    Earlier in the year we was told that there would not be any pay rise for at lest the next 12 months or so and the pay rise would be reviewed after that.
    Bills go up but it seems we dont get a pay rise every time to help use to pay the rise in bill costs.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Hmmm,

When I left they said I owed them money, with the threats.
    Fact is they owed me money, £3.50.

Always paid in cash and charged for that. Do not have a bank account, never have and never will. They sent me a bit of paper called a cheque, totally useless to me. Told them I paid in cash plus the charge and want cash back. They said no can do, so I told them that I am making a charge to them for paying me by cheque. Silence from them. A year later they still owe me that money. THEY ARE THIEVES, they have stolen my money. Never ever go to BT for anything, you have been warned.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was shocked when I checked my last bill and saw that BT had charged me over 50p for a 4-minute local call! Up until now I have picked up my landline phone to make local calls since it's easier than using my mobile, even though I have free minutes on my Vodafone contract

From now on, I shan't be using my landline for any daytime calls! (I do have free evening and weekend calls, but that's no good for calling local businesses.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should have a naked line rental, no voice, just broadband, I would pay a fiver a month for a line that don't take calls.

O2 Home Phone offer this for £7.50 a month. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waffles wrote: »
    O2 Home Phone offer this for £7.50 a month. :)

No they don't.
    You still have to have O2 own broadband and no doubt have to be in a O2 LLU area.

A naked line would be a line that people could use for any broadband and only broadband.
  • Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to the current o2 broadband offer,being a customer of o2 for over 2 years (which saves me £5 as a loyal mobile user), I'm sorely tempted to take up the current £12.50 p/m broadband offer they're currently advertising.Free for 6 months (not including the landline charge of £11.99 p/m).
    Saves me forking out £30 a month for my current BT broadband/landline charges !

Sadly the area I'm in isn't compatible for any fibre-optic upgrade,so my choices are limited. :cry:
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oiler wrote: »
    Hmmm,

When I left they said I owed them money, with the threats.
    Fact is they owed me money, £3.50.

Always paid in cash and charged for that. Do not have a bank account, never have and never will. They sent me a bit of paper called a cheque, totally useless to me. Told them I paid in cash plus the charge and want cash back. They said no can do, so I told them that I am making a charge to them for paying me by cheque. Silence from them. A year later they still owe me that money. THEY ARE THIEVES, they have stolen my money. Never ever go to BT for anything, you have been warned.

It's quite reasonable for a company to charge for handling cash - it costs them more to deal with it than electronic methods like direct debit.

No bank account? Hmm - so if you are owed money by HMRC, how're you going to get it back? They don't issue cash - only a cheque or direct depost into your bank account. (I assume you do pay tax, and your work isn't illegal tax-avoiding cash-in-hand - in which case I have no sympathy at all).
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received the email from BT yesterday about the price increases and was shocked, yet another price increase after just a few months; 70p on the line rental, withdrawal of the £1.25 paper-free billing discount and call set-up fee now 13.1p. BT then proclaim "no more price increases till 2013", which no doubt will occur in just over a year's time on Jan 1st 2013. Unfortunately I am stuck with BT for my broadband so am well and truly shafted.
  • boysteveboysteve Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by noise747 View Post
    It is available from AAISP but its not cheap at £12 p/m

http://www.aaisp.net/broadband-phoneline.html
    Broadband needs a phone line to work. Normally people just use a BT line that is used for something else like normal telephone service or a fax line. We can provide a phone line specially for broadband for £12.00 pcm†.
    The line itself is installed by Openreach just like a BT line, on our behalf. You cannot normally make any chargable calls, but can call emergency services and freephone numbers from it as well as accepting calls. If you ask us to allow chargeable calls, or there are reverse charge calls, or any other charges, we will charge you what OpenReach charge us, plus 20%. We supply the line primarily for use with the broadband service and do not provide lines without our broadband service associated with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think with so many other phone/IPS companies now out there that BT would not incress there prices so offen so they could still complete with the others.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boysteve wrote: »
    It is available from AAISP but its not cheap at £12 p/m

http://www.aaisp.net/broadband-phoneline.html

AAISP don't know the meaning of cheap or even competitive, they remind me of Pipex years ago when they was over priced.

what is the point in paying £12 per month for a phone line that you can't do anything with when you can get one for a tenner with free evening and weekend calls?

Even if like me you don't use it