Options

It appears that former Tory minister David Mellor is part of the Tornberry set

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
Forum Member
He was recorded calling a cabbie a sweaty stupid little shit and said to him

"You’ve been driving a cab for 10 years, I’ve been in the cabinet, I’m an award-winning broadcaster, I’m a Queen’s Counsel. You think that your experiences are anything compared to mine?”
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/david-mellor-caught-tape-rages-black-cab-driver-london

Will this as a big a issue for the conservatives and the tweet of the house covered with flags was for labour?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this 'plebgate' the 2nd? If it is, I may emigrate.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"You’ve been driving a cab for 10 years, I’ve been in the cabinet, I’m an award-winning broadcaster, I’m a Queen’s Counsel. You think that your experiences are anything compared to mine?”
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/david-mellor-caught-tape-rages-black-cab-driver-london

Will this as a big a issue for the conservatives and the tweet of the house covered with flags was for labour?

Yep, of course they're comparable incidents.
    What did the man in Rochester do/say to personally upset Thornberry again?
  • Options
    Forum Member

In the 90s it was back to basics and 'sex scandals'
    Today it is 'snobbishness scandals' Plus ca change
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Move to London. You'll love it there.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

He hasn't been an MP for 17 years he is to all intents and purpose a private citizen :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Move to London. You'll love it there.

I'd love to. Great city.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should resign immediately from the position of annoyed citizen of the British realm.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    He hasn't been an MP for 17 years he is to all intents and purpose a private citizen :confused:

And yet he chose to trot out his numerous "distinctions" in order to make a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Yep, of course they're comparable incidents.
    What did the man in Rochester do/say to personally upset Thornberry again?

I am having no opinion if they are comparable or not. I am having an interest in how the media works ;-):p

But you could also say what did the taxi driver do to deserve his abuse.! And I don't think Emily Thornberry was offended. She was making judgments which you could say she was proved correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    He should resign immediately from the position of annoyed citizen of the British realm.

Indeed, how dare he show disrespect to taxi driver who's personally p***** him off
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to. Great city.

It used to be great, I was born and bought up in St Albans just a few miles north and it was great going into London at the weekend for a night out.

After last years jaunt into central London, I was flabergasted at how difficult it was to do even simple things there because of the sheer number of people. I wouldn't want to live within 100 miles of the place now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Should he resign from presenting his radio show?
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no.
    he isn't an MP, and hasn't been for many a year. he suffers from the affliction of "open mouth insert foot" disease.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    And yet he chose to trot out his numerous "distinctions" in order to make a point.

Including being a QC and broadcaster which is bugger all to do with politics:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am having no opinion if they are comparable or not. I am having an interest in how the media works ;-):p

But you could also say what did the taxi driver do to deserve his abuse.! And I don't think Emily Thornberry was offended. She was making judgments which you could say she was proved correct.

Then it would appear YOU have more in common with Emily Thornberry than David Mellor does.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I'd love to. Great city.
    Been there, done that and got out at the earliest possible opportunity. Overrated, overpriced and overcrowded.

And full of twunts like David Mellor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Including being a QC and broadcaster which is bugger all to do with politics:confused:

Yes including those things. They are irrelevant to the argument aren't they?

The driver's words seem to have been omitted from the reporting that I've seen, but If the argument was about the route and nothing else, both sides should have stuck to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The driver's words seem to have been omitted from the reporting that I've seen, but If the argument was about the route and nothing else, both sides should have stuck to that.

So he isn't guilty of what he has achieved in his life or for being nob but guilty of being an ex Tory :confused:

This is just a tit for tat response to Thornberry , who in my opinion is guilty of being an idiot but then she Labour and Miliband overreacting
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    It used to be great, I was born and bought up in St Albans just a few miles north and it was great going into London at the weekend for a night out.

After last years jaunt into central London, I was flabergasted at how difficult it was to do even simple things there because of the sheer number of people. I wouldn't want to live within 100 miles of the place now.
    Milford on Sea (the most distant part of Hampshire) is 97.7 miles from London along the M3.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As far as I know there's no law against a private citizen being a ****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, unless we know what exactly was said by both parties in the cab then this story is a non-story. Until then It all smacks of the left desperately looking for something to distract from the Thornberry debacle/expose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If there was, I would be in jail
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well he hasn't been arrested or charged for it, has he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Then it would appear YOU have more in common with Emily Thornberry than David Mellor does.

Maybe I do :):):)
    But I think it is just as offensive to think that a tattooed cage fighter, who wants to bring back caning , and send them all back, represents most of the working class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he isn't guilty of what he has achieved in his life or for being nob but guilty of being an ex Tory :confused:

The point is the guy has a public profile and the taxi dude doesn't, he can hardly be surprised that trying to win an argument by playing the "I'm one of the great and the good" card has resulted in a bit of unwelcome press. And I don't care which party he belongs to.